GDT: who are we even playing? I don't care anymore

Dude, did you even watch the game? SLU shot 38%, committed 19 turnovers, blocked zero shots and got spanked on their home court by Duquesne.

Those 19 turnovers consisted of double dribbles, travels and guys bouncing balls off their own feet.

Dude, we held them to the same... 38% shooting, forced 18 turnovers, they had 4 blocks, though.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no roy i was not, saw it at home on a big screen, i stopped with the season tics a few years ago... i assume you were there groveling for customers for your business, as usual? yes another bad game, only big we have is reggie, jolly contributes a bit, throws his body in there, that is our biggest problem above anything else. yarbrough is needed to be an inside presence, that does not seem to be working out, injury or not. and we cannot set screens, terrible. not enough intensity on "d". if we do not hit our outside shots, we cannot win with this new offense.

re: the st. louis post, do you all not understand that, all these years, a potential fan who is thinking of coming to a game sees that sh*t and it is a turnoff? how about recruits? same thing for all these years, even when we had our NCAA run, a pic on page 5 of a fallen billiken, the ball off to the side, him looking the wrong way, whilst a nice, sleek missouri jump shooter rising over a hapless opponent is on the front page. do you still get that rag delivered to your home, roy?

Any other type of photos showing us doing great things would be deception and false advertisement. The reporter got it right.

MB our point is had you been there you would have seen how awful the billikens were. As someone else said already, beyond ash's 3's there was NOTHING positive to capture on film.

Was JB's 3pt shot deflected with about 30 seconds to go in the game from the corner? Also would that of been reviewable since it was in the last 2 minutes of play?

The 2 closest officials acted like it didn't need to be reviewed. Bishop started walking towards the other end, and only protested that it was tipped after the coaches on the SLU bench were advocating for a replay. So in all likelihood it wasn't tipped.

That said how often do we see officials look for ANY excuse to use the replay technology? The head official - who called Reynolds for the egregious intentional foul moments earlier - wasn't interested in checking the replay - not with Duq covering by half a point...

No matter how bad this SLU team may be, the A10 zebras on the safari are always fair game. The refs in this league have been questionable ever since SLU parked itself in this Eastern Block amalgamation. This league remains a de facto East Coast bus league, AAA level. the top of the minor leagues, #7 in Conference RPI, which on the surface is good, but is still behind the so called Power 5 (BCS football leagues) + the new Big East. This was the case even when SLU was good.

Remember the Bonnies mugging Jordair Jett in the A10 Tournament, not once but twice on the same drive to the hoop at crunch time? No call(s), play on. I was there, it was right in front of me. It was a travesty, especially with Jordair down on the court for the count, and his man on the dreaded Bonnies hitting a 3 at the other end, playing 5 on 4.

This all being said, a bottom division team, especially one 5 driving hours to the West of its nearest A10 "rival." and 8 hours west of its next nearest A10 "rival," should never expect to get any calls in this league.

As for whether SLU has ever been irrational with the basketball program, I'd tone down the term, and ask if SLU has ever done the wrong thing with its basketball program. The answer, of course, is Yes, multiple times. All one has do is list all the failed coaching regimes, going back a half century, and add to that the infamous "Situation."

Regarding the STL Post-Dispatch coverage, where is a columnist criticizing this program, which is currently 19-34 overall, 6-21, RPI 187 in Crews Years 2 and 3? The late Joe Strauss and/or Bernie Miklasz would not stand for this. The current Post-Dispatch Sports Department is composed of Mizzou graduates/apologists. But the Yahoos' program is in disarray itself.

MB our point is had you been there you would have seen how awful the billikens were. As someone else said already, beyond ash's 3's there was NOTHING positive to capture on film.

Yes, but not one picture of Ash, or any Billiken doing anything right, and they did, though not right enough. Admit it.

Look at the photos again, 1/2 of the pics with full player photos, our Billiken is literally slipping and / or falling down!

This is not representative of what happened, we shot the same %, the same # of turnovers, we were in it. only 4 points down very late in the game.

This is not fair coverage. It is horsesh*t.

Look at the Davidson (win) photos, and the GM photos, not quite as bad but the same thing.

We all are disappointed in the team this year, I get it, Bania.

This is not a comment on the game yesterday, it is a comment on the crappy SL Post coverage that has hurt the program for decades.

That is it for me on this matter, til next year...

http://www.stltoday.com/gallery/sports/college/slu/slu-loses-to-duquesne/collection_3b0c2c94-8d79-56ed-a0f6-9968364aecc8.html#0

So would one picture of ash shooting a wide open 3 be good enough to quell your disappointment or would you expect all 5 pictures to be ash shooting a wide open 3? Even though the story of the day was slu's totally inept play. You want the story/pictures to only cover the billiken good?

Face it. This team is horrible and imo we could be getting creamed by the media. I say we are darn lucky we are pretty much being ignored by the local media. It should be a heck of a lot worse.

Speaking of the media, look whose seat Billiken Hall of Famer, Billiken Bob Ramsey ("That's the worst call I've ever seen.") is currently filling.
See p. 32 of the '58-'59 Media Guide, Year 1 of the John Bennington Era.
Hint: Holy Cow!
SLU has digitalized some of the old media guides, fascinating stuff. It shows where SLU once was, and SLU was back there only 2 years ago. The potential is there. It's always been there.

We are the team that had Harry Caray as our Radio Voice, the Voice of the Billikens.

So would one picture of ash shooting a wide open 3 be good enough to quell your disappointment or would you expect all 5 pictures to be ash shooting a wide open 3? Even though the story of the day was slu's totally inept play. You want the story/pictures to only cover the billiken good?

Face it. This team is horrible and imo we could be getting creamed by the media. I say we are darn lucky we are pretty much being ignored by the local media. It should be a heck of a lot worse.

no I never said one picture, or all 5 pictures, and I never said I want the story/pictures to only cover the billiken good.

nice try.

i want a fair representation, not 90+% pics of billikens falling, getting stuffed, stumbling, losing control of the ball, that is not representative of what happened. i saw it, we didn't play as represented 90+% of the time, nothing to be proud of but we were in it til the end, and you know it.

and again, they do it win or lose, back for decades, they must laugh their ass*s off, and men like you and bizzle and spaulding are oblivious.

http://www.stltoday.com/gallery/sports/college/slu/slu-loses-to-duquesne/collection_3b0c2c94-8d79-56ed-a0f6-9968364aecc8.html#0

We were in it till the end because we were playing another horrible team who's best player had a bad 1st half. Had he had the same half the first half he had the second half we would have lost by 30.

There was nothing good to take from yesterday but at least I was there trying to support the team. Unlike you.

We were in it till the end because we were playing another horrible team who's best player had a bad 1st half. Had he had the same half the first half he had the second half we would have lost by 30*.

There was nothing good to take from yesterday but at least I was there trying to support the team. Unlike you.

the whole point is not that we are playing poorly, but that the sl post methodically misrepresents slu hoops all of the time. think.

i agree we are not playing well. no sh*t.

i have been a season ticket holder on and off since the late '80's, maybe 15-18 total years, traveled a lot so had to skip some years, once for 6-7 of those years bought tics under the name from a well known figure who is bantered about on this board occasionally, another time thru another alumnus, and on and off with my own name (trish the dish was a ticket manager i remember). and years ago my family made a formidable donation to billiken athletics. i will explain to you some day.

and you are in a business where you can get anybody's business, individuals, small firms, large firms, so your business interests can be mixed with being a billiken fan, good for you, it does not work that way for me, 10,000 people at a game, maybe 1-2 would have any possibility to have any input into my area of business. just pointing it out so you can get off your high horse. (note: i just quoted spaulding)

* had ash had a 2nd half like the first, we win. give me a break. if grandma...

Create a poll of posters who would be willing to pay for an online stream. Do it on the site. If I'm wrong I'll eat my words and apologize. Until then I stand by my assertion that this team is not worth paying extra to see

Who cares. There's fans, and there's fair weather fans, where do you fall?

I have been a season ticket holder continuously since the 80's and even the years my daughter was playing varsity basketball and I knew I might miss 8 or more games to support her, I bought my tickets and ALWAYS found someone to go to the games and support the billikens.

I have never used my billiken fandom to advance my career. So you don't know what the f you are talking about. When you talk about high horse you might want to look in the mirror.

Pretty ironic you seem to think you are some sort of super fan but in the past you've admitted you missed games because it was too far to walk, or that you didn't like the A10 now you want to tell us you couldn't but tickets because you had to travel. Last night you again weren't there.

There are plenty of us biting the bullet even though we currently have the worst team in decades. But we still go. We wear blue. We stand and cheer the opening lineups. We sing along with the band and students during timeouts "s-a-i-n-t l-o-u-I -s". And yes we come here and ***** about it. But we were there.

You on the other hand were home watching bonanza reruns and steve Harvey on family feud. Then you come here and lecture us about being fans and going off on the post dispatch for nor mis representing the game for those of you that didn't bother to show up. When we all tell you only got an accurate showing of what us game fans sat through you don't want to hear about it. Nice. The other truth is we don't need fans like you.

Who cares. There's fans, and there's fair weather fans, where do you fall?

Lol you are doubting my fandom? Very nice. Went to almost all home games my freshman, sophomore and junior years, and only missed a few this year. When I'm home on break I watch thanks to GoBills. I own a load of Billikens gear. I went on the Brooklyn trip, idk what else I need to do. Just a broke college kid who thinks it's stupid to pay to watch two teams on an A10 stream. Anything else? I also write on this board which 99% of SLU students have never heard of.

This team just flat out sucks dude.

I have been a season ticket holder continuously since the 80's and even the years my daughter was playing varsity basketball and I knew I might miss 8 or more games to support her, I bought my tickets and ALWAYS found someone to go to the games and support the billikens.

I have never used my billiken fandom to advance my career. So you don't know what the f you are talking about. When you talk about high horse you might want to look in the mirror.

Pretty ironic you seem to think you are some sort of super fan but in the past you've admitted you missed games because it was too far to walk, or that you didn't like the A10 now you want to tell us you couldn't but tickets because you had to travel. Last night you again weren't there.

There are plenty of us biting the bullet even though we currently have the worst team in decades. But we still go. We wear blue. We stand and cheer the opening lineups. We sing along with the band and students during timeouts "s-a-i-n-t l-o-u-I -s". And yes we come here and ***** about it. But we were there.

You on the other hand were home watching bonanza reruns and steve Harvey on family feud. Then you come here and lecture us about being fans and going off on the post dispatch for nor mis representing the game for those of you that didn't bother to show up. When we all tell you only got an accurate showing of what us game fans sat through you don't want to hear about it. Nice. The other truth is we don't need fans like you.

Thank you to all of the fans like you that go out and support the team.

Lol you are doubting my fandom? Very nice. Went to almost all home games my freshman, sophomore and junior years, and only missed a few this year. When I'm home on break I watch thanks to GoBills. I own a ###### load of Billikens gear. I went on the Brooklyn trip, idk what else I need to do. Just a broke college kid who thinks it's stupid to pay to watch two ###### teams on an A10 stream. Anything else? I also write on this board which 99% of SLU students have never heard of.

This team just flat out sucks dude.

The team is a big disappointment.

But, you say walking a block, to sit in a terrific stadium, to watch a wonderful team win, makes you a fan.

I say everybody does that. I can't imagine that watching a game for the cost of a cheap beer or a Value Meal is too much on the off chance we may play well or a player may do something memorable.

I'll lay off cause your a student, not because I think you're right.

The team is a big disappointment.

But, you say walking a block, to sit in a terrific stadium, to watch a wonderful team win, makes you a fan.

I say everybody does that. I can't imagine that watching a game for the cost of a cheap beer or a Value Meal is too much on the off chance we may play well or a player may do something memorable.

I'll lay off cause your a student, not because I think you're right.

Oh what a joke. More than half of the students have never been to a single game. Even during the good years. I don't see any of the "frat" guys going to game outside a handful of the same kids. The issue was not me being a bigger fan than you, but that you called me a fair weather fan. This team doesn't deserve support, but they still get it for me. Trust me it would be much easier to not watch this team.

And on your BS statement of "walking a block to sit in a stadium" doesn't make me a true fan. If I had to pay for student tix I would but it's not my fault they're free. You can't put that on me. But I'm not paying to watch SLU v. George Mason for $5 when all previous streams this year were free.

Oh what a joke. More than half of the students have never been to a single game. Even during the good years. I don't see any of the "frat" guys going to game outside a handful of the same kids. The issue was not me being a bigger fan than you, but that you called me a fair weather fan. This team doesn't deserve support, but they still get it for me. Trust me it would be much easier to not watch this team.

And on your BS statement of "walking a block to sit in a stadium" doesn't make me a true fan. If I had to pay for student tix I would but it's not my fault they're free. You can't put that on me. But I'm not paying to watch SLU v. George Mason for $5 when all previous streams this year were free.

Who cares if half of the students have not been to a game? Student section cannot hold the entire student population so it ensures people who care have a place to be. It doesn't bother me, also a student, when people don't show up. You know why? Because SLU isn't a school with an undergraduate population of die hard basketball fans and nothing is going to change that. The only thing that will change people caring about the program is improvement. So in the meantime, I'll be there to support and hopefully see improvement. And when the day comes we are good, the fair weather fans will come out and I'm okay with that.