The New Offense

brianstl

The turnaround with the offense has been pretty amazing over the last 3 games. We have shot up almost 50 spots in Pomeroy's adjusted efficiency ratings over the last 3 games. On a point per possession basis we rank 34th in the country over the last three games all teams have played.

Why in the hell were running the crap motion off ball screening stuff for a season and a half?

If you would have inserted this offense after McCall, Loe, Jett, Evans and Barnett graduated instead of that crap offense; how many more games do we win last season? Six or seven? Would 17 or 18 wins and this more modern offense have been enough to put SLU over the top for Tatum?

In short, I have no idea. This season has me so jaded that I feel I am not giving JB the praise he deserves. How many 20 point games did Kwamain have as a freshman? Should we start looking at JB as a potential stud in the making?

I have subscribed to the thought that Pistol talks about, that is, this team is so bad that someone has to score. But JB and Hines have scored in bunches, while limiting turnovers, and being the guards who won 2 conference games (one on the road) pretty convincingly.

My prediction is that we come crashing down to earth at Dayton, which is not a tough one to make. But if we somehow win that game...then I would be the most conflicted fan ever (just bc I want Crews gone that badly). I my mind, Crews has to win the conference tourney to save his job.

In short, I have no idea. This season has me so jaded that I feel I am not giving JB the praise he deserves. How many 20 point games did Kwamain have as a freshman? Should we start looking at JB as a potential stud in the making?

I have subscribed to the thought that Pistol talks about, that is, this team is so bad that someone has to score. But JB and Hines have scored in bunches, while limiting turnovers, and being the guards who won 2 conference games (one on the road) pretty convincingly.

My prediction is that we come crashing down to earth at Dayton, which is not a tough one to make. But if we somehow win that game...then I would be the most conflicted fan ever (just bc I want Crews gone that badly). I my mind, Crews has to win the conference tourney to save his job.

i agree. what have you done for me lately should always be a strong consideration, but up until 2 games ago, that should have meant an immediate firing. if crews even takes us to the finals of the conference tourney, i might postpone his slaughter. but that's just not going to happen.

we have reasonable talent, but no head coach. we will not out-offense anyone when it matters. that has to be fixed.

The turnaround with the offense has been pretty amazing over the last 3 games. We have shot up almost 50 spots in Pomeroy's adjusted efficiency ratings over the last 3 games. On a point per possession basis we rank 34th in the country over the last three games all teams have played.

Why in the hell were running the crap motion off ball screening stuff for a season and a half?

The offense is more efficient and moving up Pomeroy's ratings is a good sign (as they are adjusted for the general defensive strength of your opponent). However, not all offenses work against every defense and I am not convinced all of the success is a function of a new offense. We have played against some bad defense in the last two games (particularly in that their guards were uninterested in keeping in front of their men and there was bad help schemes) so by itself points per possession is not a good yardstick. I think if we get a decent offensive showing against Dayton (or VCU or St. Joe's) there will be reason for a more enduring optimism. I would be even more optimistic that we kept the defensive effort high (like against GW).

oh. and sorry. yes, bishop is off the charts right now. even for the entire season, he's scoring 7 points per game in 13 minutes per game. that's outstanding.

for the last 4 games, snobviously, it's even better.

30 MPG

18 PPG

4 RPG

4 APG

<1 TPG

51% / 32% / 95% shooting

definitely deserves some HATE.

also, i hate to say it, but if milik doesn't come crawling back to the team with an i'll do whatever it takes attitude, he can transfer out for all i care. he and miles were obviously stagnating the offense. but i'll keep miles because of his guts.

The offense is more efficient and moving up Pomeroy's ratings is a good sign (as they are adjusted for the general defensive strength of your opponent). However, not all offenses work against every defense and I am not convinced all of the success is a function of a new offense. We have played against some bad defense in the last two games (particularly in that their guards were uninterested in keeping in front of their men and there was bad help schemes) so by itself points per possession is not a good yardstick. I think if we get a decent offensive showing against Dayton (or VCU or St. Joe's) there will be reason for a more enduring optimism. I would be even more optimistic that we kept the defensive effort high (like against GW).

I don't have access to Pomeroy"s numbers for only the last three games. I agree, they would be helpful here. I have stated in other threads I don't think this offense will work as well against VCU and Dayton. That said, we haven't been this efficient against anyone in a long time. Our offense was rough against bad defensive teams for a season and a half.

The one thing many people don't realize is the offense erosion started right when Crews took over. Every season has been a step down in our offensive efficiency ratings.

Level of opponent is key. I did watch Davidson take down Richmond in Richmond last night 78 to 70 but Richmond, at home, went 0-for-15 from three-point land. Peyton Aldridge smoked the Spiders for 34.

I will be very interested in seeing how Hines and Bishop handle playing at YouDee Arena with the crowd of hostiles right on top of them. Will tell a lot about our two new guards. I'm still taking Dayton with the Wiz' spread.

i agree. what have you done for me lately should always be a strong consideration, but up until 2 games ago, that should have meant an immediate firing. if crews even takes us to the finals of the conference tourney, i might postpone his slaughter. but that's just not going to happen.

we have reasonable talent, but no head coach. we will not out-offense anyone when it matters. that has to be fixed.

Crews has to go even if they go on some kind of miracle run to close the season. His bad decision making got us into this mess in the first place and he took way too long to adjust.

Kwamain had two 20 point games as a freshman, both after Feb 1. But he also had 11 games of 5+ assists. As good as Bishop looks as a scorer, I haven't seen the distributing ability some keep saying they do. I still think Miles and maybe even Hines are better passers.

Why... were [we] running the crap motion off ball screening stuff for a season and a half?

The Bills didn't run off-ball screens last year. Coach Crews installed that aspect of the offense this year, but it appears that has been temporarily scrapped. But don't be surprised if they throw it at opponents as a wrinkle when they're not prepared for it.

The Bills didn't run off-ball screens last year. Coach Crews installed that aspect of the offense this year, but it appears that has been temporarily scrapped. But don't be surprised if they throw it at opponents as a wrinkle when they're not prepared for it.

-because it was working so efficiently

They started the shift from an exclusively on ball screening team to off ball screens last season. They went all out on it this season and decided to give the players "freedom" in the offense. That "freedom" was nothing more than adding more decision making to the offense resulting in a complicated mess.

Does anyone else have a really bad feeling that if the team does "decent" during the rest of conference play, Crews will be retained for another season? It wouldn't actually surprise me too much....

Of course many of us do just look back at all the past threads that touch this topic the past few days. Many believe as Brian does that regardless what happens the rest of the year that Crews is not the answer and the sooner we cut him loose the sooner we can start climbing back to respectability. The best that can happen with Crews are years of 500 or just above with no tourney appearances or even NIT. He has Peter Principled himself and we are the poor suckers who got stuck.

Might have something to do with the fact that we are probably the worst team in Division I at setting screens (as others on here have noted as well).

I really think that Miles will do well in this offense as he becomes more familiar with it. He can turn the corner very well and is a capable finisher/ft shooter/passer. He even seems to have added a good enough pull-up that teams can't just go under screens against him. I see him slowly getting more pt than Hines as the season continues, as he is a bit better defensively.

Hopefully Milik can kick into gear and play the 4 in these small line-ups. I think he'd do well in this more spread out system, and we will need his help on the glass against bigger teams.

Is there a name for this new offense? Everyone's saying it's not the motion. Is it dribble drive? On ball screens ala Majerus? Or is it the roll the ball on the floor do whatever you think will work because all was lost with whatever else we were trying to do offense? In the one game I've seen w/Bishop and Hines, against Davidson, it did seem to have a little dribble drive flavor to it.

It's a pick'n'roll offense with just one screener. So a 4-out 1-in motion. It allows strategic posting by any of the wings in case of a mismatch, and also spreads the floor very well allowing dribble drives. It is actually really common in college basketball (think 'Nova).

Of course many of us do just look back at all the past threads that touch this topic the past few days. Many believe as Brian does that regardless what happens the rest of the year that Crews is not the answer and the sooner we cut him loose the sooner we can start climbing back to respectability. The best that can happen with Crews are years of 500 or just above with no tourney appearances or even NIT. He has Peter Principled himself and we are the poor suckers who got stuck.The fact th

The fact that it took this long to realize Bishop's ability is most troubling to me. You're watching a kid every day in practice and don't finally realize he's your most capable guard who can take your O to elite efficiency (34 in Kenpom?) until almost midway through conference play? This man is useless and I pray to Jesus these inflated wins against sub-A 10 opponents don't change anyone's mind about him.

The fact that it took this long to realize Bishop's ability is most troubling to me. You're watching a kid every day in practice and don't finally realize he's your most capable guard who can take your O to elite efficiency (34 in Kenpom?) until almost midway through conference play? This man is useless and I pray to Jesus these inflated wins against sub-A 10 opponents don't change anyone's mind about him.

You are speaking about the same guy who coached Austin McBroom for a full season in practice during his redshirt year and then pinned him to be our starting point guard, not recruiting a true PG in this year's Soph class and then taking half of last year before realizing it is working working and then going to Plan B -- mostly using Bartley and then recruiting Bishop in the Spring. And Brad is the guy on this board which takes the blame for not being able to evaluate talent????

Maybe you don't remember that Bishop broke his nose in practice and wasn't doing much for a couple of games. I believe he was in street clothes on the bench. At the start of the year Bishop couldn't guard a chair. If he had played serious minutes, this board would have wanted to ride him out of town. It takes time for freshmen to adjust to the college game. His development, through this staff's coaching, has been very nice.