Sophomores

Pistol

Tonight the four sophomores who dressed combined for 32 minutes, 9 points, 3 assists, 3 rebounds, 1 turnover, and 5 fouls. 6 of those points were from Bartley, who also had all 3 assists (and 4 fouls). All four came off the bench.

Another sophomore was on the bench in a boot, and the sixth wasn't even in the building.

What's this mean for this 6-man class? Was this night just the convergence of an unusual set of circumstances that both led to a rare offensive performance at the team level but didn't work out for them? Is this the beginning of a trend in which the staff relegates these guys to supporting roles and goes with the veterans and freshmen? Are they simply a group of malcontents and disappointments, one that should be chalked up as a lost class and recruited over?

I still think Bartley, Reynolds, and Roby are serviceable players that could be decent bench players if they accept that role. None of the 3 mentioned has showed in any game I have watched ever displayed what Bishop has shown in limited time. I really think if Milik would watch films of Dwayne Evans for hours each day and practice like Dwayne played could be a good player. I think Jolly and Gillman only play if your bigs get into foul trouble. Based on all of that it appears to be a lost class.

I'd rather enjoy our victory against a good team for awhile rather than immediately introduce an ugly negative spin.

With respect, I think Pistol brings up great points about the sophomores and on the game thread all of us enjoyed a great billiken win. It was a fun night and I will talk about the game for a while because there has not been that many to talk about positively this year. I am interested in what the other posters think about the six sophomores and where they may fit in on the future.

I'd rather enjoy our victory against a good team for awhile rather than immediately introduce an ugly negative spin.

This is genuine discussion, not ugly spin. There is no attempt at either ugliness nor spin; someone with a third-grade reading level could tell you that.

You're clueless. Go back to your cave.

I still think Bartley, Reynolds, and Roby are serviceable players that could be decent bench players if they accept that role. None of the 3 mentioned has showed in any game I have watched ever displayed what Bishop has shown in limited time. I really think if Milik would watch films of Dwayne Evans for hours each day and practice like Dwayne played could be a good player. I think Jolly and Gillman only play if your bigs get into foul trouble. Based on all of that it appears to be a lost class.

It's become clear that while Reynolds seems to have shown the most improvement on an individual basis, the offense as a whole doesn't do much while he's in there. And his primary offensive technique remains going at the basket while trying to draw contact so he can shoot free throws.

Bishop, on the other hand, seems pretty natural on the offensive end. I still can't figure out if he's a point or shooting guard, but I'm not sure that matters quite yet.

Whatever new offense Crews was trying to introduce in the Bahamas and early in this season appears to have been scrapped. The pace is like nothing we've seen since Romar was the head coach. The question is what he does going forward - whether he sticks with some variation of tonight's lineup or keeps tinkering.

Hines, Bishop, Agbeko, Crawford, and Yacoubou all played between 31 and 37 minutes apiece tonight. I don't think anyone could've come up with that combo as the one that would score 96.

Then stay out of the discussion, nobody forced you to respond.

I do think it is interesting that the best we have looked as a team was playing the lone senior, two juniors, freshman guard, and walk-on. Granted those kids all had career nights (outside of Mike), but that group was able to put significant pressure on the defense.

Bishop, on the other hand, seems pretty natural on the offensive end. I still can't figure out if he's a point or shooting guard, but I'm not sure that matters quite yet.

He is definitely more of a scoring guard, but he has pretty solid handles and he and Hines complimented each other fairly well tonight with their quickness and ability to make plays off of the bounce. Neither appears to be a real natural point guard, but I think playing those two together may work. I may need to watch again, but Hines looked pretty solid defensively as well. Having 4 wings on the court and 5 guys that all bring energy was fun to watch tonight. I have missed the past two games, but watching tonight, Bishop certainly looks like a keeper.

It's become clear that while Reynolds seems to have shown the most improvement on an individual basis, the offense as a whole doesn't do much while he's in there. And his primary offensive technique remains going at the basket while trying to draw contact so he can shoot free throws.

Whatever new offense Crews was trying to introduce in the Bahamas and early in this season appears to have been scrapped. The pace is like nothing we've seen since Romar was the head coach. The question is what he does going forward - whether he sticks with some variation of tonight's lineup or keeps tinkering.

Hines, Bishop, Agbeko, Crawford, and Yacoubou all played between 31 and 37 minutes apiece tonight. I don't think anyone could've come up with that combo as the one that would score 96.

What amazes me is how those five players were able to play those minutes at that pace. That was like watching Mike Dantoni's Phoenix Suns. Not sure how well the offense will work over a few games, but it sure was fun to watch tonight.

I was beyond impressed with Bishop. Who knows if he'll ever be a decent defender -- though that can be taught in my opinion -- but he seems to be multi-skilled offensively. Decent ball handler, good shooter and quick to the hoop. Two 20+ point games in his past 3 as a freshman. Hard to complain.

It seems apparent that Crews is playing Hines due to his taking care of the ball (low turnovers last two games), Ok shooting stroke and willingness to do what is asked of him. As a walk on, he's hungry and desperate for a chance. He's getting a chance now.

Playing Agbeko as the main 5 is pretty much what has to be done with a 4 guard lineup. He can board and, if able to stay out of foul trouble, can give you more than 30 minutes a game. He also showed some decent low post moves tonight, something we've seen a hint of in the past.

As you highlighted at the beginning, it is interesting that the sophomore class contributed very little to a very entertaining win. Bartley hit two big treys, but Roby, Jolly and Reynolds did next to nothing. Also, Hines and Bishop seem to have a chemistry in the backcourt that is lacking when Reynolds and Roby come in.

All in all, a fun win and I'm now intrigued.

Reynolds stagnates the offense with his inability to do anything other than drive. Roby stagnates the offense because he's a streaky offensive player who just doesn't make quick enough decisions. Milik doesn't let the offense flow. I'm not saying Bishop or Hines are great players but as of now, they make us a better team. Bishop, Hines, Crawford, and Yacoubou complement each other well with their skillsets offensively and it's hard to take them all away.

He is definitely more of a scoring guard, but he has pretty solid handles and he and Hines complimented each other fairly well tonight with their quickness and ability to make plays off of the bounce. Neither appears to be a real natural point guard, but I think playing those two together may work. I may need to watch again, but Hines looked pretty solid defensively as well. Having 4 wings on the court and 5 guys that all bring energy was fun to watch tonight. I have missed the past two games, but watching tonight, Bishop certainly looks like a keeper.

I disagree on Hines. While he's not KM, if you went back and looked at the tape, you'd see where he would drive draw some defenders and kick it back out for a score. Bishop did this a bit but Hines seemed to stand out. The fact that we were in a fast paced game and only had 7 TOs is unreal. With the old lineups we'd have 7 TOs n warm ups. It was an entertaining game. My only negative point is they had 26 second chance points, there's your defensive breakdown. Snagging defensive boards is still our Achilles heel.

My star for the game is Reggie. 12 boards and a real post presence. Without those boards they'd have had even more 2nd chance points. With 4 guards you have to live with the fact that you will give up more offensive boards than you will like, but if Reggie can consistently rebound like that and make them pay attention at least a little down low it makes the guards jobs much easier. This is the player most of us (and Duke lol) thought Reggie could be coming in. He is very quick down low and strong. I don't expect 12 and 12 but I could see a consistent 8-10 pts and 8 or 9 boards. Not sure what to think of Hines and Bishop yet. We will see. Great game by Ash. When he hits his 1st or 2nd three attempt it just seems to change his confidence and the bounce to his step.

Reynolds stagnates the offense with his inability to do anything other than drive. Roby stagnates the offense because he's a streaky offensive player who just doesn't make quick enough decisions. Milik doesn't let the offense flow. I'm not saying Bishop or Hines are great players but as of now, they make us a better team. Bishop, Hines, Crawford, and Yacoubou complement each other well with their skillsets offensively and it's hard to take them all away.

I think Milik might actually be OK in the offense we ran last night. It cuts down on the decision making he has to do and it actually featured guards willing to set up guys down low. I think Milik can be a good contributor in an offense where he doesn't have to make a ton of decisions and doesn't feel the need create all of his own offense.

I think Milik might actually be OK in the offense we ran last night. It cuts down on the decision making he has to do and it actually featured guards willing to set up guys down low. I think Milik can be a good contributor in an offense where he doesn't have to make a ton of decisions and doesn't feel the need create all of his own offense.

That's one thing I meant to say and missed. We actually fed the post. Part of it though was Reggie. He was really making himself big and a target. I haven't always seen that from him

I disagree. I have seen zero progress in him over the last year. You'd think he would learn from getting rejected or turning it over EVERY TIME he does the Milik coast-to-coast. But he doesn't. He is a massive defensive liability and a turnover machine. Probably the most talented player on the team but maybe the worst.

That's one thing I meant to say and missed. We actually fed the post. Part of it though was Reggie. He was really making himself big and a target. I haven't always seen that from him

They, also, set up Ash for some great looks in the paint. Bishop hit Ash on two layups and Crawford hit him on one.

I will echo what JBizzle said...At least now I am intrigued. We now look like we have hungry players ready to ruin some people's season. Maybe Bishop is the point guard that we need to actually facilitate the offense. He should play 30 mins every game from here on out. I dont care if he has to learn defense on the job, we arent going anywhere anyway.

It felt like a soderberg team last night...not talented enough, but we arent punks who pout.

Last night was fun. Maybe Crews has learned to make his offense fit his personnel and not vice-a-versa. Hines and Bishop together on the floor bring more energy then I've ever seen in the last two years. I also think the composition of the opposing lineups in our two A10 wins (GW and Davidson) helped as did the fact that we were at home. GeeDubya is a five-man, limited team. Davidson had Gibbs, Aldridge and Sullivan but Ekwu was about as gifted and fluid offensively as Jolly and Gillmann are. Also limited.

There are not enough superlatives to go around for last night --- THAT Agbeko, THAT Yacoubou, the SURPRISE of Hines/Bishop, the limitations of Bartley, Reynolds and Roby, THAT Yarbrough. Given what playing that lineup does, any appearance of Gillmann, Jolly and/or Neufeld does not fit the mold.

Some good news: Crawford had an off night. Our leading scorer (in some accounts) takes the night off and we still score 96??? Who are those guys? But you figure that is rare, about as rare as ever having another four guys have career games together like Yacoubou, Agbeko, Hines and Bishop had last night.

-last night was great fun, I missed the memo on when we turned into Loyola Marymount but I don't care, just score more than the other team

-while we gave up 87 this will sound crazy but there were a couple times when we stopped dribble penetration

-the spacing on the offense seemed much better, perhaps our making shots made it appear that way

-how can two guys who played so little all of a sudden find playing time?

-attendance was poor but the folks that were there had a good time but there are a lot of sore necks from people shaking their heads wondering what the heck they had just watched

So what does it say that a walk on that the coaches knew nothing about before last year is starting on a team with 6 scholarship guards?

He's the next Kurt Warner!

I asked a similar question, though I pinned it more on Crews' inability to evaluate players.

He's the next Kurt Warner!

I asked a similar question, though I pinned it more on Crews' inability to evaluate players.

That's a good point. What does it say when a surprise walk on plays in front of your 6 scholarship guards AND it takes you losing games in historical fashion to figure out that he is better?

Although this is a really small sample and it might have just been a fluke matchup type thing. Davidson is not a defensive powerhouse. They are in the bottom 80 in D in the country.