Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-Karl was a friend of Rick's, that could be interesting in Vegas if he takes it and if he wants to recruit high school kids

-a bit different than recruiting free agents in the league

Definitely an outside the box hire. It looks like he has absolutely no experience coaching college in his background, but I'm sure the thought of playing for a long-time NBA coach will be very appealing to some recruits.

I am confused, did he not sign a contract yet with UNLV? He was hired a couple of weeks ago wasn't he?

He signed a contract. From what I saw, Texas Tech is paying the buyout on said contract.

So don't feel too bad for UNLV. They're getting paid close to $1 million for a coach who was there around 2 weeks.

I don't blame the guy for going to Tech, but I'm glad we didn't pursue him.

I get that he should do what is best for himself but it will be hard to sell TTU to a recruit based on "don't worry I am committed to TTU" given what just happened at Little Rock and UNLV. UNLV doesn't care about the money - what they care about is now being the last to fill a vacancy on the coaching merry go round - not a good spot to be in. Odd that the buyout clause kicked in so early.

I get that he should do what is best for himself but it will be hard to sell TTU to a recruit based on "don't worry I am committed to TTU" given what just happened at Little Rock and UNLV. UNLV doesn't care about the money - what they care about is now being the last to fill a vacancy on the coaching merry go round - not a good spot to be in. Odd that the buyout clause kicked in so early.

Actually they do care about money. They notoriously underpay coaches. Lavin was very interested in UNLV but they wouldn't come close to his asking price.

As for Beard, it seems like he could use this episode to show just how committed he is to Tech - he paid $1 million to go there.

Actually they do care about money. They notoriously underpay coaches. Lavin was very interested in UNLV but they wouldn't come close to his asking price.

As for Beard, it seems like he could use this episode to show just how committed he is to Tech - he paid $1 million to go there.

He did not pay - TTU paid. I am sure UNLV would rather have Beard then the 1 million.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like Lorenzo Romar might last thru the end of his contract at Washington after all:

Eric Bossi: Missouri women's assistant Michael Porter Sr. tells me that he has accepted a position as an assistant coach at Washington w/ Lorenzo Romar.

Michael Porter Sr. is the father of top 5 player in 2017 Michael Porter Jr. and top 75 player in 2018 Jontay Porter.

It looks like Lorenzo Romar might last thru the end of his contract at Washington after all:

Eric Bossi: Missouri women's assistant Michael Porter Sr. tells me that he has accepted a position as an assistant coach at Washington w/ Lorenzo Romar.

Michael Porter Sr. is the father of top 5 player in 2017 Michael Porter Jr. and top 75 player in 2018 Jontay Porter.

Honest graft.

(wish we were doing this)

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Any thought that he is not doing it honestly?  Just asking - what is his history on recruiting?

I believe he had an issue with the NCAA as an assistant at Austin Peay back in the late 80's.  No NCAA issues since.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Any thought that he is not doing it honestly?  Just asking - what is his history on recruiting?

I think he recruited some decent players to Mississippi State. Also, this top recruit Stansbury just got to WKU was previously committed to Texas A&M, where Stansbury was an assistant. 

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Stansbury had been recruiting Robinson at A&M, and also just hired Robinson's godfather on to his staff which probably helped.  Not sure about his ins or ties with the other top recruits.

• 7 years later...
3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Man, I was dead wrong. I expected multiple NCAA Tournament appearances. (And stronger recruiting.)

(I was a lot meaner back in 2016, geez.)

Wow.  A few of the minor details were off, but, in general, that was pretty spot on.