JMM28

End of the year report card......

SEC............A-...........Vandy....A

ACC............A+.............GT........B+

Horizon.......C..............Valpo....A-

and for comparison........

A-10...........B+.............SLU.....D+

B12............A+.............Ok St....B

A few notes....When you exceed by more than a notch .you are usually in demand and when you underperform by more than a notch then you are usually on the hot seat. In the above example Drew far exceeded thereby generating multiple offers. In terms of which was the better job between Vandy and GT....Based on the numbers Vandy is the better job....better situation because you are taking over a better team in a weaker conference. GT would have been a weaker team in a better conference. Gregory had to leave because he was underperforming...by 4 notches.

In Ford's case, even though his record was similar to SLU's, his Ok St team was far superior to the Bills. But in terms of the B12 he too was underperforming ...5 notches. The difference was because of injuries... this was his first real underperform year in a while...not the same for Gregory. In order to survive in the A-10 Ford needs to get up to a B level pretty quickly ...which shouldn't be a problem given his history.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few notes....When you exceed by more than a notch .you are usually in demand and when you underperform by more than a notch then you are usually on the hot seat. In the above example Drew far exceeded thereby generating multiple offers. In terms of which was the better job between Vandy and GT....Based on the numbers Vandy is the better job....better situation because you are taking over a better team in a weaker conference. GT would have been a weaker team in a better conference. Gregory had to leave because he was underperforming...by 4 notches.

In Ford's case, even though his record was similar to SLU's, his Ok St team was far superior to the Bills. But in terms of the B12 he too was underperforming ...5 notches. The difference was because of injuries... this was his first real underperform year in a while...not the same for Gregory. In order to survive in the A-10 Ford needs to get up to a B level pretty quickly ...which shouldn't be a problem given his history.

I'm curious. How much do conferences tend to move from year to year?

Appeciate your insight but not following what you mean by 4 and 5 notches. Ford was 4 notches? B to B+ to A- to A to A+ ?

I'm curious. How much do conferences tend to move from year to year?

Not much...maybe a notch either way....ie A- to B+....or C to C+....many just stay the same year to year.......Teams tend to go through cycles....when the good teams fade many times the lower teams improve...so it tends to be fairly stable. You will mot see the Sothwestern conf as an A nor will you see the ACC as a D.

The only time you can see some real movement is when conferences realign.

Appeciate your insight but not following what you mean by 4 and 5 notches. Ford was 4 notches? B to B+ to A- to A to A+ ?

A notch is 1 step ....so A to A-....1 notch or step.....B- to B+...2 notches. In the example above ...B12 = A+...Ok St was B...4 steps below average...fans get antsy when their team finishes more than 1 notch below the conf average. Thus Ford lost his job. With the Bills,...it was A-10 ...B+....SLU... D+...6 notches below the conf ave (8 last year).... Crews 's time was up.

Grades in general are relative....In the F- Southwestern conference if you get a C+ you are a superstar....But if you get a B in the A+ conferences of the ACC or B12...you have failed.

LOL. Good stuff!! Anyone have quotes from that local Valpo reporter who scoffed about Drew leaving? Family... religion... alma mater...

Turns out relgious boy is just like the rest of us!! Show me the money!!

I always preferred Ford if we couldnt get Stallings. Not sure Drew can recruit at the higher levels. Maybe. Probably. But why take the risk? We need a proven D1 head coach who wants to be here. In Ford I trust.

I'm wondering if we were the other job that he put off to wait on Vandy.

My sources say now (and then ) that we were the other team. I refer you back to the the "What happened " thread...post #150...the timeline ...and particularly Mar 25 ..the key date. I said on a number of occasions it was Drew's job to turn down...and he did. I think our actual first choice was Stallings but he was lukewarm to us. Well at least he didn't string us along..

In the end , it worked out pretty well ...for everyone...Everybody got a coach who really wanted to be at the school that took them....TCU, Pitt. Vandy, SLU . Well it worked out for almost everybody....not so great for Valpo (no coach and they have to go fishing now)...bbtds ...who seemed to take great pleasure as he reported to Valpo fans the Billiken board was " melting down" and that we were "dilutional" (sic) ... and finally, volfan who guaranteed not 1 but 2 assistant coaches that would be HC at SLU.... Co- Head Coaches.

Bottomline...I think we got the best HC we could get...who is right for the program and who will turn us around quickly...We have already turned the corner.

My sources say now (and then ) that we were the other team. I refer you back to the the "What happened " thread...post #150...the timeline ...and particularly Mar 25 ..the key date. I said on a number of occasions it was Drew's job to turn down...and he did. I think our actual first choice was Stallings but he was lukewarm to us. Well at least he didn't string us along..

In the end , it worked out pretty well ...for everyone...Everybody got a coach who really wanted to be at the school that took them....TCU, Pitt. Vandy, SLU . Well it worked out for almost everybody....not so great for Valpo (no coach and they have to go fishing now)...bbtds ...who seemed to take great pleasure as he reported to Valpo fans the Billiken board was " melting down" and that we were "dilutional" (sic) ... and finally, volfan who guaranteed not 1 but 2 assistant coaches that would be HC at SLU.... Co- Head Coaches.

Bottomline...I think we got the best HC we could get...who is right for the program and who will turn us around quickly...We have already turned the corner.

I like this post. I may even go out and buy a Mustang.

I like this post. I may even go out and buy a Mustang.

If you do be a man and get a standard. I miss mine.

So far I think the Ford era is a bust. No assistants, no recruits, no results. Already wanting to change the drapes at the Fetz.

If you do be a man and get a standard. I miss mine.

So far I think the Ford era is a bust. No assistants, no recruits, no results. Already wanting to change the drapes at the Fetz.

Maybe not a bust but certainly a time where we are hearing everything we want to hear and seeing a charismatic man tell us what we want to hear. Can he deliver us.....from evil.....or mediocrity.....or irrelevance? We hope so but count me among the hopeful sceptics.............

Maybe not a bust but certainly a time where we are hearing everything we want to hear and seeing a charismatic man tell us what we want to hear. Can he deliver us.....from evil.....or mediocrity.....or irrelevance? We hope so but count me among the hopeful sceptics.............

So he's a charismatic speaker telling us all what we want to hear after we are going through a rough period.

Hmmm...I don't think Travis Ford is Hitler like you. Hitler has more tourney wins.

Wow really? It would be smart for Pastner to move cause his seat is getting warm. Not sure why GT would want him.

Gary Parish wrote about how some coaches know when it's time to move. Mentioning that Jamie Dixon needed to move to avoid competing against expectations he created.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25528050/jamie-dixon-is-the-latest-to-recognize-its-no-good-to-stay-one-place-too-long

So he's a charismatic speaker telling us all what we want to hear after we are going through a rough period.

Hmmm...I don't think Travis Ford is Hitler like you. Hitler has more tourney wins.

After a promising start Hitler got blown out in the Russian Invitational, the Great Sahara Desert Shootout, and finally the Continental Euro Classic. Guy couldn't coach a D3 team.