Coaching Candidates

JMM28

I just hope and pray that if any coach reads this board that they have some sort of a sense of humor, because we are indirectly a huge part (as a fan base) of what a coach would consider in taking or walking away from a job opportunity.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope and pray that if any coach reads this board that they have some sort of a sense of humor, because we are indirectly a huge part (as a fan base) of what a coach would consider in taking or walking away from a job opportunity.

Or Twitter. I would hate for anyone to take that seriously, ya know?

The season is over for both Ford and Inglesby. If one of those two was the first choice, and there was no possibility of Drew, why wouldn't it have been announced by now?

Glad there is at least one adult in the room.

Correct Blaw, most of these posters have no clue

Pretty obvious volfan will use the "contract negotiations broke down" line when we don't go down the ND assistant coach road.

Wiz knows what's going on. Just waiting for Valpo to end their season.

The positive through all of this is that I would be happy with Ingelsby, too. So if that's the 'worst case scenario' should volfan be correct and Drew isn't coming, then oh well.

contract negotiations, especially as more coaches are retaining agents.

Santa Clara announced Sendek less than four days after he was fired. It's already been longer than that since the first Ford interview here was reported. If SLU wanted Ford, they could have him by now. And if they want Inglesby, it should be announced any minute now.

Inglesby or Drew? Who would you guys honestly prefer?

Inglesby apparently did a lot of work at Notre Dame and Brey raved about his coaching and recruiting talents. Drew is already a terrific up and coming head coach who has made Valpo into a two time (should be three time) NCAA tourney team in five years. Both would be awesome hires for SLU, significant upside with either guy. At this point I'll be highly disappointed in May and the AD if we end up with anyone other than Drew, Inglseby, or Rice. I have a feeling Chaifetz won't let that happen.

Also, maybe Volfan is right. But perhaps we told Inglesby that we will give him the job if Drew does not accept within 48 hours of Valpo's season ending....

I was pondering who would I rather have as a coach. Drew or Rice

Drew is working in the mid-west already and has done well. He did take over a program that he was familiar with and was having success.

Rice has time at Gonzaga, no apparent ties to the mid-west, he took over at Boise St they moved up in conference and he holds the all time conference win record for Boise St. So it appears he is elevating that school. He hasn't won a NCAA game though. I also like that he runs an uptempo offense

I have heard neither talk so not sure about how they do with the media besides one former STL media guy now out in Idaho giving us the thumbs up and that Box and Won's neighbor (also a white guy named Leon) is really nice. So there's that

I have heard neither talk so not sure about how they do with the media besides one former STL media guy now out in Idaho giving us the thumbs up and that Box and Won's neighbor (also a white guy named Leon) is really nice. So there's that

I've watched press conferences and interviews of both on YouTube. Both are fine in that regard. Rice once used the phrase "defend and rebound", so there's that.

Contract negotiations can be done in a couple of hours at most. Intermediaries / agents handle the legwork ahead of time. See Brad Underwood to Okie State...

not all the time. Martin doesn't even have a contract after 2 years at Cal. A school like Okie State has no financial limitations to deal with, schools that do often get hung up on buyouts, assistant salaries, etc. It depends on the agent too.

I'm not one to give Chris may any credit; I think he's an idiot. But I don't think he's dumb enough to drag out this search if he had their guy, be it Dooley, Ford, Rice, Ingelsby, or Count Chocula.

My guess is that Bryce Drew hasn't even thought about the open market because that's the type of coach he is. He owes it to his team and fans to stay focused on winning the NIT.

I also think SLU wants to take an honest run at him but have zero idea if he's even interested.

And because none of the coaches we've interviewed are linked to better open positions. Us, them, and SLU are all in the same position: waiting for valpo to lose.

Who knows what will happen. But my guess is that Ford is our #2 since he has interviewed twice.