Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While May said they would focus on head coaches, the press release said this bit as well. Ingelsby seems to fit the bill coming from ND, a fellow Catholic institution. His history of success comes in varied roles on the staff. This would be a home run hire, imo.

SLU is looking for a coach with a history of success and who understands the Department of Athletics’ commitment to the strategic objectives of educating, competing and building community.

“It will be important for the new head coach to embrace Saint Louis University’s mission and values as a leading Jesuit university,” May said. “The next coach will play a critical role in representing the University on a local, regional and national level.”

The 'head coach' quote comes from Stu's March 11 article.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/slu-s-search-very-focused-on-head-coaches/article_96e526ed-bb7f-56d2-b144-776a6ac733f9.html

This differs from the story on the SLU website.

http://www.slubillikens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=210790761

So it either is or isn't going to be a current head coach. 50/50 either way.

yep, give me inglesby. if stallings and drew are off the table, i'll take the best assistant coach we can get. inglesby sounds legit. brey definitely doesn't want to lose him, and i've read in articles that he's basically anti-crews, in that he's very good at identifying talent and moldable personalities and getting the most from players. that's what we need, a leader that motivates. need charisma over all-out coaching chops.

That's all I need. Hired.

I think we all expected an announcement by the Final Four. SLU would be silly not to. The Final Four is basically one huge job fair for college basketball coaches. It's the perfect place to put together a coaching staff. If we let the Final Four pass without naming a coach, we would need to question the intelligence of the people running this search.

Thanks to HoosierPal for the link to the "head coach quote" story. I had some thoughts on that quote when I read it weeks ago, but held off commenting on it, as I gave Durando the benefit of the doubt since he had the conversation with May.

Anyway, here's the quote:

"We are very focused on head coaches that have a history of high-level success and who will be a great fit at St. Louis University."

Obviously, at face value this looks like we're focusing on people with head coaching experience. When I read it, however, I wasn't sure if that was what May was trying to convey. Look at it this way: head coaching experience or not, when we hire someone, they will be our head coach. Therefore, we should be looking at each candidate as a head coach, and maybe May was using the same reasoning in his statement. I gave Stu the benefit of the doubt because I figured that he may have clarified things with another question.

I could be wrong though. Maybe the focus changed.

Btw volfan, if this assistant coach angle ends up being bogus, I may have to stop defending you for getting the Majerus leave of absence announcement correct.

-if it is Rice, who seems like a good get, and local/regional recruiting is an issue, why not Justin Tatum on the staff? nothing to do with his son coming to SLU, but I would think he could recruit this region as many would at least know him or of him

-of course, a year from now his son might be preparing to hit the lottery in the nba draft which could change things

-I am thinking if it is Travis Ford it would have been done by now as he has been available, but that's connecting dots

-also, since I think a dead recruiting period started yesterday, why not get an agreement in place, don't sign it, let the coach in waiting recruit during this period and sign the deal later? the risk being another program takes the coach or the suspense or surprise of a press conference is lost when word becomes known

Maybe Vandy making a run at Drew has us spooked?

Vandy and Georgia Tech have me more concerned that Pitt ever did. Drew's wife is a former Atlanta Hawks cheerleader, which makes me think she has some connection to Atlanta and the south in general. If so, that blows St. Louis being his father's hometown out of the water. Checkmate.

Ok

Thanks to HoosierPal for the link to the "head coach quote" story. I had some thoughts on that quote when I read it weeks ago, but held off commenting on it, as I gave Durando the benefit of the doubt since he had the conversation with May.

Anyway, here's the quote:

"We are very focused on head coaches that have a history of high-level success and who will be a great fit at St. Louis University."

Obviously, at face value this looks like we're focusing on people with head coaching experience. When I read it, however, I wasn't sure if that was what May was trying to convey. Look at it this way: head coaching experience or not, when we hire someone, they will be our head coach. Therefore, we should be looking at each candidate as a head coach, and maybe May was using the same reasoning in his statement. I gave Stu the benefit of the doubt because I figured that he may have clarified things with another question.

I could be wrong though. Maybe the focus changed.

Btw volfan, if this assistant coach angle ends up being bogus, I may have to stop defending you for getting the Majerus leave of absence announcement correct.

Tatum does not have a college degree that would be the only problem with him on staff.

-if it is Rice, who seems like a good get, and local/regional recruiting is an issue, why not Justin Tatum on the staff? nothing to do with his son coming to SLU, but I would think he could recruit this region as many would at least know him or of him

-of course, a year from now his son might be preparing to hit the lottery in the nba draft which could change things

-I am thinking if it is Travis Ford it would have been done by now as he has been available, but that's connecting dots

-also, since I think a dead recruiting period started yesterday, why not get an agreement in place, don't sign it, let the coach in waiting recruit during this period and sign the deal later? the risk being another program takes the coach or the suspense or surprise of a press conference is lost when word becomes known