Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we spend $2million on a coach he will be the 24th highest paid coach in the country...ahead of schools like Wichita St, Virginia, North Carolina, Oregon, Iowa, Notre Dame. Gonzaga Xavier.....well you get the idea. So yes this would be a great job...a destination stop...for the right person.

If that is the case then no way should SLU have to settle on someone like Travis Ford. There should be someone a lot more compelling if Drew says no that is worth paying the $2M.

If we spend $2million on a coach he will be the 24th highest paid coach in the country...ahead of schools like Wichita St, Virginia, North Carolina, Oregon, Iowa, Notre Dame. Gonzaga Xavier.....well you get the idea. So yes this would be a great job...a destination stop...for the right person.

Exactly! And that is my response to Cusamano and others. If we truly are willing to pay that kind of money, then we should be demanding more.

Leon Rice from Boise St is who we are supposedly looking at. King Rice is the coach of Monmouth.

That said, the only rumor I've seen about Rice is from Snelling who literally knows nothing.

Looks promising.

"

Rice eclipsed 100-career victories last season, the fourth head coach to accomplish the feat and the first to do it in his first five seasons. Rice notched his 100th victory in his 161st game, just one game shy of Dyes school record (160). Entering the NCAA Tournament, the Broncos are 102-62 (.622) under Rice, the best record for a head coach through his first five seasons in school history. Included were 20-win campaigns in 2010-11, 2012-13, 2013-14 and 2014-15, the only head coach to win at least 20 games in four of his first five years guiding the program since Boise State joined Division I in 1970-71.

Rice's recipe for success combines an up-tempo, fast-paced offense and elite shooting. The Broncos have led their conference in scoring three of Rice's five seasons, including pacing the Mountain West in scoring in both 2012-13 and 2013-14. The Broncos put up 76.2 points per game in 2013-14, the second-highest season average at Boise State in nearly 40 years. Boise State ranked second in the MW in scoring in 2014-15, averaging 72.1 points per game."

Why is Roy Williams so underpaid compared to Coach K, Rick Pitino, Jim Boeheim?

Its hilarious that people think a program who is coming off back to back 11 win seasons is a great job right now .

You are laughing at me. Chaifetz, A10, University, and St. Louis make it a good job. Is your basis of a good job is if the team is winning? That logic does not make sense because most coaches are not fired when the team is winning. Wages, Facilities, location, conference and commitment to winning is what makes it a good job. If SLU is truly committed to winning then it is a good job, it was good enough for a coaching legend like Rick Majerus.

If SLU was committed to winning Crews wouldn't of coached the past two seasons.You don't hire Majerus and than go to Crews if you want to be on Xavier's level.

Promoting assistants has been Xavier's thing for 15 years or so.

Since the inception of the Big 12 only three Big 12 programs have been to multiple Final Fours. Those programs are KU, OU, and Okis St. You can win and win big at OSU.

Great use of stats. So is Okie State a better job than UT or OU? or both since you can argue it's the 2nd best job. How many NCAA appearances since 2000? Without looking it up ... is it more than SLU?

Great use of stats. So is Okie State a better job than UT or OU? or both since you can argue it's the 2nd best job. How many NCAA appearances since 2000? Without looking it up ... is it more than SLU?

Since 2000, yes, I'd say OSU has been a better job than UT for sure and was arguably on the same level as OU.

Since 2000, yes, I'd say OSU has been a better job than UT for sure and was arguably on the same level as OU.

UT missed the tournament 1 time since 2000, has 2 Sweet 16, 2 Elite 8 and 1 Final 4

OU missed the tournament 5 times, 1 Sweet 16, 2 Elite 8, 2 Final 4s

OSU missed the tournament 5 times since 2000, 1 Sweet 16, 1 Elite 8, 1 Final 4

OSU might have some T. Boone Pickens's $ but UT has plenty of high dollar donors and is the most profitable AD in the nation. They just signed the biggest Nike Contract and it wasn't even close to 2nd Place Michigan. Plus the Longhorn network pays $15mil per year and they are between fertile recruiting grounds in Dallas and Houston. OU has done well to recruit DFW and had some big success with Sampson and now Kruger.

Put me down as really liking Leon Rice. He was an assistant at Gonzaga for 12 years has done really well in his time at Boise St. and runs an uptempo offense. Almost as much NCAA tourney success as Bryce Drew (2 first 4 games vs 2 second round games) but not a national championship like my boy Drew Diener.

If SLU was committed to winning Crews wouldn't of coached the past two seasons.You don't hire Majerus and than go to Crews if you want to be on Xavier's level.

Good Sir, SLU was in an extremely hard place. Crews just had the most spectacular year in basketball at SLU than anyone could remember. Coach of the year honors. He was likable and Majerus thought enough of him to hire him. What coach with half a brain would have come into a situation where you would have to go out and get all new Freshmen to play, match the expectations of the previous year, and when it did not work out have everyone on Billikens.com asking how stupid SLU was not to hire Crews full time instead?

I have stopped posting here because I only hear raw emotion coming off the posts, and very little understanding of the mechanics of a headhunter search.

I do not know how much the headhunters are getting paid, but I would estimate that if the salary level is indeed in the $1.5 to $2.0 M, the headhunter firm will be paid a lot more than $75,000 or $80,000, try mid low 6 figures. With a price like that for their efforts they (the headhunter firm) will take all kinds of precautions to produce candidates that fit precisely what SLU asked for in paper at the beginning of the search. If SLU said: head coach it will be a head coach, if SLU said: so many times in the big dance it will be that too. We do not know what SLU specified for the search, but we will get someone that fits the requirements given to the headhunter firm.

The search may have stipulated a minimum specific number of qualified candidates, we will get those.

There will be interviews, more formal and complex as the process goes forward, finally an offer will be made and by the time it is made SLU will be pretty sure it will be accepted. Keep in mind that in order to get the minimum required number of candidates for the job the headhunter firm will contact dozens of coaches, and they expect that many of the coaches contacted may not have much interest and not follow up. Only those that show interest to the headhunter call will go to an extensive verbal examination by the search firm before coming in for interviews (as Dooley and Ford have apparently done so far).

What is missing here? We plainly do not know what was specified, or the number of candidates required by SLU.

What we do know is that we have interviewed Dooley and Ford (at least as far as this board has heard), and that Ford has had two interviews. Stop dreaming about new candidates, stop worrying about it. It will be what it will be, the process will proceed until the firm finds someone who fits specifications and is acceptable to SLU. Period.

No use in loosing weight, pulling your hair out, or drinking yourselves repeatedly into oblivion. SLU has a plan, and like it or not SLU will follow this plan and PAY for it. You can say all you wish about how mechanical and incapable to find someone really good this process is or may be, that is fine as well, you are entitled to your own opinion.

After the new coach is chosen I expect to hear wailing and rage from this board, but perhaps not. Let's hope it is perhaps not.

However, the truth is that no one in this board has the slightest idea of what SLU asked for, or how the search is progressing, All we know is that Dooley had one interview and Ford has had two.

All the best and a Happy (belated) Easter to all of you.

Since 2000

OSU 11 trips, 11 wins, 1 final 4, 1 elite 8, 1 sweet 16, 2 rd of 32, 6 first rd losses (54% 1st rd out)

OU 12 trips, 19 wins(and counting) 2 final 4, 2 elite 8, 1 sweet 16, 3 rd of 32, 4 first rd losses (33% 1st rd out)

UT 16 trips 19 wins 1 final 4, 2 elite 8, 2 sweet 16, 5 rd of 32, 6 first rd losses (38% 1st rd out)

UWV 9 trips 14 wins 1 final 4, 1 elite 8, 3 sweet 16, 1 rd of 32, 3 1st rd losses (33% 1st rd out)

ISU 8 trips 10 wins 0 final 4, 1 elite 8, 2 sweet 16, 3 rd of 32, 2 1st rd losses (25% 1st rd out)

Looks to me like they compare more favorably to UWV and ISU than OU and UT

Actually we do have the slightest idea of what SLU asked for if we are to believe our local media reports. SLU is looking for someone with Head Coaching experience. So then we get some reports of Ford interviews, Dooley and Ford. That gives us a good idea. Not only that we have experience in knowing about previous SLU head coaching searches under May which produced Lisa Stone. We also know about how this process goes for similar schools. So we do have some clue.

Here's what SLU is looking for:
Head Coaching Experience because of media reports

Success as a coach (NCAAs, conference record, titles, recruiting) because why wouldn't you be

Someone willing to come to SLU (Ford or Stallings coming from a bigger program or an up and coming type from a smaller program). because they have to be willing

Those are pretty good inferences based on experience and some data that is leaked.

I'm not wringing my hands like many because I feel like there are multiple viable candidates. If we really are offering $1.5mil that's damn good money and will get a lot of interest.

Since 2000

OSU 11 trips, 11 wins, 1 final 4, 1 elite 8, 1 sweet 16, 2 rd of 32, 6 first rd losses

OU 12 trips, 19 wins(and counting) 2 final 4, 2 elite 8, 1 sweet 16, 3 rd of 32, 4 first rd losses

UT 16 trips 19 wins 1 final 4, 2 elite 8, 2 sweet 16, 5 rd of 32, 6 first rd losses

OSU doesn't have the results that the other two schools have, that's for sure. In terms of fan support, booster support/resources, relative pressure on the coach to succeed, dominance of the AD by the football program, etc., I think OSU is equally if not more attractive since 2000.

You and a_bomb bring up good points and I don't discount those at all. OSU has not been the most successful program of the 3 since 2000.