Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you're an also ran in the Big 12 or SEC, it doesn't matter what resources you have, you will always suffer from not being Kansas or not being Kentucky. How many coaches graduated from success at a mid major only to not be able to get teams like Texas Tech or Auburn over the hump. Does it make them bad coaches? Was their success at the smaller school just an accident?

If Drew, Stallings and Stansbury are off the table, I would be fine with Ford, and I truly believe he could be successful here.

When you're an also ran in the Big 12 or SEC, it doesn't matter what resources you have, you will always suffer from not being Kansas or not being Kentucky. How many coaches graduated from success at a mid major only to not be able to get teams like Texas Tech or Auburn over the hump. Does it make them bad coaches? Was their success at the smaller school just an accident?

If Drew, Stallings and Stansbury are off the table, I would be fine with Ford, and I truly believe he could be successful here.

Okie St. Is not Texas Tech or Auburn. It is way above them in the pecking order in college basketball. It is arguably the second or third best job in the Big 12.

We may not know what the Ford second interview actually signifies. It could mean that he is under serious consideration in case Drew says no, or as someone else suggested, maybe someone wasn't available to meet the first time. Both interviews sounded like they weren't on campus, so it doesn't sound like it was a situation of him wanting to see the campus himself. Nevertheless, I am reminded of a Rams coaching search when they interviewed Jason Garrett. During the interview, Garrett said he wanted to visit Rams Park. When he landed at Lambert on his trip to visit Rams Park, he was swarmed by media thinking he was coming to finalize a deal. I think the Rams announced they were hiring Steve Spagnuolo a day later. The point is that a second interview isn't always a sign that the guy is being hired.

While I'm not exactly on the Ford bandwagon, I think it's worth bringing up something I heard on Frank Cusumano's radio show on Friday. BetweenTwitter and his show, Frank apparently saw quite a bit of negative response to Ford and Stallings. He brought up the following point: SLU has 9 NCAA appearances in its history, has not made the Sweet 16 in the modern era, and has won 22 games in the last 2 seasons combined. Nevertheless, people are saying that a coach isn't good enough because they lose too early in the NCAA tournament. Let's focus on getting close to the level where we can even consider being in the NCAA tournament, then we can worry about how far we go.

Its hilarious that people think a program who is coming off back to back 11 win seasons is a great job right now .

It is not a great job now - that's why I would much rather roll the dice on an up and coming assistant then bring in a warmed over mediocre coach like Ford.

Okie St. Is not Texas Tech or Auburn. It is way above them in the pecking order in college basketball. It is arguably the second or third best job in the Big 12.

Seriously? There is absolutely no way Okie St is the third let alone the second best job in the Big 12. KS, UT, OU all far better. It's probably not better than WVU, Baylor, or ISU anymore.

According to an Oklahoma St writer, OSU has to pay Ford the difference between his OSU salary and his new position salary for at least a year. So if he made $2M at OSU and we pay him $1M, OSU will pay him $1M NOT to coach their team. I think that says all you need to know about Ford.

Would he be a disaster hire? No. But he would not be a good hire

Seriously? There is absolutely no way Okie St is the third let alone the second best job in the Big 12. KS, UT, OU all far better. It's probably not better than WVU, Baylor, or ISU anymore.

Since the inception of the Big 12 only three Big 12 programs have been to multiple Final Fours. Those programs are KU, OU, and Okis St. You can win and win big at OSU.

Its hilarious that people think a program who is coming off back to back 11 win seasons is a great job right now .

If we spend $2million on a coach he will be the 24th highest paid coach in the country...ahead of schools like Wichita St, Virginia, North Carolina, Oregon, Iowa, Notre Dame. Gonzaga Xavier.....well you get the idea. So yes this would be a great job...a destination stop...for the right person.