Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading Pitt reactions on Twitter, they are not happy Stallings is replacing Dixon. A couple fans believe his inability to dominate the SEC at a school with constraints such as Vanderbilt is indicative of him having little skill. How odd.

Reading Pitt reactions on Twitter, they are not happy Stallings is replacing Dixon. A couple fans believe his inability to dominate the SEC at a school with constraints such as Vanderbilt is indicative of him having little skill. How odd.

I see stallings as a lateral move from dixon, would be a perfect move for Pitt if they want to maintain their current level, which they should want. I think they are similar in skills. Vanderbilt will be in the hunt. Disappointing, i hope we have someones ear.

I will add that they are delusional. They should be celebrating that they will maintain their success. After losing a guy with Dixon's record, they were in trouble. This fixes their problem totally.

Now we can worry about Drew to Vandy for a week or so. He'd be stepping into a much better situation talent wise and probably $ wise as well. At SLU he's facing a complete restoration, at Vandy it's more like a tune up. Who else would Vandy have on their short list?

Now we can worry about Drew to Vandy for a week or so. He'd be stepping into a much better situation talent wise and probably $ wise as well. At SLU he's facing a complete restoration, at Vandy it's more like a tune up. Who else would Vandy have on their short list?

I am kind of upset we lost out Stansberry to WKU. He would have been nice addition. He did nice job in helping the TX A&M program & had excellent PROVEN record at Miss State.

I can understand why fans of Pitt, GT and Vandy want better then Drew. They expect excellence, we are thrilled by mediocrity. This process should have been rapped up by now.

Alot easier recruiting to Power 5 schools than the Horizon. Of course, more pressure to win there also. Hope this doesn`t drag out till April 1, don`t know if we could handle all the April Fool`s jokes.

I am kind of upset we lost out Stansberry to WKU. He would have been nice addition. He did nice job in helping the TX A&M program & had excellent PROVEN record at Miss State.

I can understand why fans of Pitt, GT and Vandy want better then Drew. They expect excellence, we are thrilled by mediocrity. This process should have been rapped up by now.

Not if they have someone whose team is still playing and the guys that are being signed were not plan A, B, or C. For some reason I do not think coach Stansberry was ever a consideration because he was not interviewed like coach Dooly and coach Ford. I still believe but I could look foolish in the end.

Kevin Stallings:

1). It took him five years to make the NCAA's at Vandy. He was told prior to the fifth year that he would be fired if he did not make the NCAA's that year. While he would likely had had success more quickly at SLU, he would not likely have been a quick turnaround program coach.

2). In the past he has tried to put his name in for three different Big Ten large state school coaching positions. None of those were his alma mater. They were Ohio State, Illinois, and Indiana. He has always been drawn to the large public state school type of places in the past in top level leagues. It took him a while, but he eventually embraced Vanderbilt and all that it contains, it was a low pressure position. He was friends with the next Chancellor, AD, other coaches. He developed a system and recruited much to that system over the years. He is not a great recruiter and has had to rely upon assistants that have had some turnover. He always seemed to find the next recruiter to be good enough. Pittsburgh is a larger public school in a top level league with less challenges than Vandy. Stallings has always wanted that in the past. He was content at Vandy but with recent underachieving and this year' s team receiving Final Four discussion pre-season, rumblings were getting a little louder. Some of his best recruiters there were King Rice, Yanni Hufnagel, and David Cason.

3). While at Vandy after getting it going, his program became an every other year NCAA team with just miss NCAA's in the in the other years. If he had a few more deeper tourney runs, or turned a few of those just miss teams in to NCAA teams, or had a better league record over time there, he would be thought of more highly than mixed opinions there. He had a few strong teams that were upset early in the NCAA's by smaller, quicker, hot shooting teams. He also had some NCAA success too. It has been four straight underachieving seasons at Vandy. Some were getting restless there. Many realistic Vandy fans appreciate his success there and what he built, but they would like a little more consistency, and a little better results moving forward. Nothing out of the realm of reason.

4). In the past Stallings has repeatedly said he does not want to coach in his 60's. He is I believe 55.

5). Stallings taking another job helps Vandy with his buy out money. Mutual benefit.

6) He's from St. Louis and is in fact a big Cardinal baseball fan. He routinely sat in the booth Vandy baseball games and has been close friends with Vandy baseball coach Tim Corbin for many years. Stallings' son Jacob is a AA catcher in the Pittsburgh Pirates organization.

7). The challenge for Stallings at SLU would have been need for resources, and could he hire strong recruiters.

8) At Vandy he always recruited length for position, not enough ball handlers. His teams were often great shooting, but lacking lateral quickness at both ends. Players had trouble creating their own shot when the offense broke down and they had trouble staying in front of their man at that the other end. Stallings has been an excellent offensive X's and O's coach to compensate, and starting implementing a 2-3 zone several years back on the defensive end to compensate. He has always recruited high character intelligent team players. Festus Ezeli of the Golden State Warriors for example once switched his major from pre-med to a fall back of Economics to make life easier for himself.

SLU has an opportunity to get a younger low/mid major successful head coach or a high major assistant that can try to develop something successful and consistent long term. There are several good choices out there. SLU needs to decide if they want to be more than a top 100 basketball budget as it has been in recent years. If not, they will need someone that can do many things well.