Coaching Candidates

JMM28

According to that Valpo reported he turned down Iowa State but who really knows. I find it really hard to believe he turned down $2million at Iowa State to make $285,000 at Valpo.

That Valpo reporter seems like the biggest shill ever and will believe whatever he is told or maybe more to the point will report whatever makes Valpo look the best. The idea that Bryce chose to turn down Iowa State certainly sounds better from Valpo's perspective than a "he wasn't going to get it anyway" description. None of us really know the truth but I'm definitely not going to take that reporter's word for it.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah and Oprah made all that money and just quit too. Bill Gates turned Microsoft into a 501C. Magic Johnson just retired and doesn't do any business.

Actually that's a stupid point from a Valpo poster. Any posts they make besides being scared in their protestant drawers are stupid posts. Don't you ever even think about writing a Valpo poster has a good post again on this board. You should know better.

Lol. I realize most people who are comfortable financially still love stacks of cash. I guess I meant it could be a reason he didn't jump at the first (reported) $2M ISU offer

He really said that? I wonder what specifically he meant that they didn't do. Hire a different coach? Recruit better players?

Continue three years of high level success? I assume that is what our program/coach "could have done" to make Tatum come here. We did what we needed to do recruiting wise (showed up at the right times and contacted them in the right ways), but not all that we could have done (continued success).

Lol. I realize most people who are comfortable financially still love stacks of cash. I guess I meant it could be a reason he didn't jump at the first (reported) $2M ISU offer

OK as long as you know. Mo Money Mo Problems. That's why I'm stress free.

She got the goldmine I got the shaft. - Jerry Reed

Good point from a Valpo poster.. Drew made $7.8M in his 6 NBA seasons. Money may really not factor a ton into his decision (last post)

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2480.0

On the flip side, maybe the NBA money that provided him with a certain comfortable lifestyle is starting to dry up. Maybe turning down Iowa State was fine last year, but the wife is starting to look at the bank account this year and wonder if the $300,000 salary is enough.

Only those on the inside really know how serious Drew is about SLU, but it does seem we are resigned to play this out until Valpo's season is finished which will be either March 29th or March 31st if they are in the NIT Final. That is when his decision on SLU will be known.

I question if Stallings is really a candidate. My gut tells me that boat has sailed. One thing for sure we learned yesterday is his demise at Vandy still is only rumor. I would have to believe that SLU Admin does not want to buy him out. I believe he is making $1.9M and don't know how many years are left on his current contract.

Also not real high on either Dooley or Ford as Bills next HC. Hoping the National Search firm can find someone better if Drew decides to stay at Valpo.

I thought the NIT had a consolation game, or did that go away? If they do, it will be the 31st either way.

My following of SLU basketball goes back to Ron Ekker so, yes, I have seen and lived through many of the hard times that is Billiken Basketball. With that said, Fr. Biondi was the constant. Believe Fr. Biondi came on board in 1987 and soon thereafter, Grawer got his legs cut out from him with Craig Upchurch, then Spoon and Debbie Yow had their issues with Fr. Biondi causing both to leave sooner than they might otherwise have, and the list goes on... Yes, Dr. Chaifetz renewed his relationship with SLU and Chaifetz Arena was built under Fr. Biondi's watch, but by all accounts, Dr. Chaifetz is still active and supportive of our program and in selecting our next coach. Do we know for sure if Dr. P. will be any different than Fr. B? Of course not. At the same time, SLU has already acted differently than in the past in that Dr. P and AD May proactively secured the assistance of Dr. Chaifetz and possibly Novelly , pre-planned the termination of Jim Crews, fired him at the earliest possible moment professionally and without embarrassment, paid 2 years worth of a buyout to a guy not to coach, again hired the national consultant which helped us land RM and are actively interviewing and contacting the better named guys available (Drew, Stallings, Ford, Dooley, etc.). I am very pleased so far and am giving Dr. P and AD May the benefit of the doubt in that they have earned it with their recent actions.

Nicely said, I truly believe there is a new culture at SLU and they will have to prove me wrong. Hiring coach Crews who was the coach of the year in my opinion was the right thing to do but it did not work out and SLU quickly acted.

Honest question: People keep saying Bryce Drew "turned down" Iowa St. last year. Now it is a fact that he interviewed and later withdrew his candidacy but is it possible he did that because he knew he wasn't going to get the job and would like to save face? I honestly don't know the answer but when people say he turned down Iowa St. to me it implies it was his if he wanted it and I don't know if that's true.

The same thing had crossed my mind. Often a coach will remove themselves from consideration if they think they may not get the job - save face. So, perhaps he is more open to moving in general.

Continue three years of high level success? I assume that is what our program/coach "could have done" to make Tatum come here. We did what we needed to do recruiting wise (showed up at the right times and contacted them in the right ways), but not all that we could have done (continued success).

That's what I was getting at. Whether it was a matter of something they didn't do in terms of schmoozing or just a matter of shoving the program in the toilet at the worst possible moment for Tatum.

That Valpo reporter seems like the biggest shill ever and will believe whatever he is told or maybe more to the point will report whatever makes Valpo look the best. The idea that Bryce chose to turn down Iowa State certainly sounds better from Valpo's perspective than a "he wasn't going to get it anyway" description. None of us really know the truth but I'm definitely not going to take that reporter's word for it.

According to Billibuckets.com Iowa State rejected coach Drew. I do not know if these guys know anything at all and I would like to know what everyone thinks about them.. As far as making 7.6 million in the NBA and his current salary coaching is some great money but if I had a chance to more than triple my salary in a better league, Chaifetz and Cardinals baseball I would take it.

According to Billibuckets.com Iowa State rejected coach Drew. I do not know if these guys know anything at all and I would like to know what everyone thinks about them.. As far as making 7.6 million in the NBA and his current salary coaching is some great money but if I had a chance to more than triple my salary in a better league, Chaifetz and Cardinals baseball I would take it.

Drew is probably a Cubs or Sox fan growing up in NW IN.

Don't blame Woolard for Biondi vetoing him and hiring the guy who begged for the job and promised not to ask for any fancy bells and whistles like an increased recruiting budget, charter flights or decent salaries for assistant coaches.

Who was Woolard's choice that Biondi vetoed?

Drew is probably a Cubs or Sox fan growing up in NW IN.

Although his father grew up in St. Louis. Drew is 41, may very well have been to a few Cards games when he and his family came to St. Louis. I grew up a giants fan, moved here and have four kids Two cards fans, one a Giants fan and one does not really care and cheers for both.

Although his father grew up in St. Louis. Drew is 41, may very well have been to a few Cards games when he and his family came to St. Louis. I grew up a giants fan, moved here and have four kids Two cards fans, one a Giants fan and one does not really care and cheers for both.

I doubt he's concerned with proximity to Cardinals baseball while making major life decisions.