Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to believe someone collects a paycheck for being on our beat. Read MBM rumors/tweets from SLU folks asking about Drew to SLU, then read the Valpo beat writer and regurgitate his thoughts against the idea into a column. The next time I get new info from the Post-Dispatch will be the first

https://twitter.com/slu_news/status/713229463677349888

Hard to believe Durando collects a paycheck for being on our beat. Reads MBM rumors/tweets from SLU folks asking about Drew to SLU, then reads the Valpo beat writer and basically regurgitates his thoughts against the idea into a column. The next time I get new info from him will be the first

SLU isn't giving him any ingo

"There is a sense that Drew is not waiting on a load of money to make a coaching move. It is more likely that he will wait on a fit that he considers the most comfortable. It could be a school that fits his religious upbringing or a bigger program on the verge of a breakthrough."

This paragraph is literally describing why SLU might be a good fit for Drew... Yet the entire piece seems to insinuate the opposite

Team Stream

BLEACHER REPORT INC.

Free - On the App Store

Install

CBBBracket GameMore

Ranking the 10 Best Assistant Coaches in College Basketball in 2014-15

9. Rick Stansbury, Mississippi State

« PREV3 of 12NEXT »

9. Rick Stansbury, Mississippi StateRonald Martinez/Getty Images

Year at school: 1st

Rick Stansbury spent 14 seasons as Mississippi State's coach before announcing his retirement in 2012, but the Bulldogs' all-time wins leader got the itch to be back on the sidelines this spring when he joined Billy Kennedy's staff at Texas A&M.

With the Aggies, Stansbury will help work the recruiting magic that enabled him to land strong classes while at Mississippi State. According to his A&M bio, Stansbury had five top-20 recruiting classes between 2003 and 2011. And since arriving in College Station, the Aggies have landed commitments from a pair of 4-star prospects for 2015 in power forward D.J. Hogg and center Tyler Davis.

Stansbury, who, according to Matthew Stevens of the Starkville Dispatch, was linked to head coach openings at Auburn and Southern Mississippi, will face his old team on Jan. 13 in SEC play. There's no return trip to Mississippi State on the schedule.

Kevin Stallings would help us recruit Altoff and Colinsville against U of Illinois. I looked at his verbal commits info current roster ratings which looks a step up on stars and body sizes. Seven NCAA tournaments in 17 years is not that great but better than we did over same span. I would have liked him better than Spoon all those years ago.

Maybe he would help us sell tickets on the East Side as well.

Locals are not happy that this team did not do better as he has three kids projected going to NBA this year we have never had that much talent on a starting five

I'm wondering if the Stallings being from the area thing is overblown a bit.

Yes - he has been gone for more than 20 years. In fact he may have lived just as long in Nashville as he did in the metro area here. I never put much stock in his ties to here. Does it help - maybe but it certainly does not hurt. If he wants to take a year off then we are screwed. We have much to offer but not enough to take a burned out coach to change his mind if he thinks he needs a break.

Yes - he has been gone for more than 20 years. In fact he may have lived just as long in Nashville as he did in the metro area here. I never put much stock in his ties to here. Does it help - maybe but it certainly does not hurt. If he wants to take a year off then we are screwed. We have much to offer but not enough to take a burned out coach to change his mind if he thinks he needs a break.

+1

But taking time off when you get fired is also the normal first reaction - especially for a guy his age who doesn't need to work to pay next month's bills.

+10000

Pestello has been making great decisions for the long term future of SLU. I'm sure he realizes how critical it is to get this hire right.

I have a very hard time agreeing with you on that.

Regards,

De Smet Statue

Goodman is reporting that Tulane is talking to Indiana State coach Greg Lansing about their opening.

Jordan Barnes, TatumBFF is committed to Lansing at InSU.

Lansing leaves, Barnes decommits, new SLU coach offers, Barnes comes to SLU, brings BFF with him. Its a win win all the way around.

On a related note, Haase from UAB is apparently going to Stanford.

I don't know why everyone has such a hard on for Drew. Sure, he's done well coaching Valpo and the upside is that he is young, played college/NBA, etc. However, the Horizon isn't exactly an awesome league and I'm not aware of any amazing coaching scheme/amazing recruiting talent he brings to the table.

Also, in all honesty, if he turned down ISU last year (better conference, better program), why would he pick SLU when - according to internet reports - he is being considered by ever school with a job opening east of the Mississippi?

Also x2, not sure how Bryce Drew = the "splashy big name hire" everyone that would automatically improve recruiting.

He is a young coach who has potential. He built a very good team at a school like Valpo, and is doing well in the NIT. To do all that he either recruited good players and got them to play as a team, or he recruited average players and coaches them up.....sounds like the skill set we need.

He previously said he like SLU and ND as schools to coach at. Probably got an earful about how bad things were at Baylor from his brother.

Stallings hasn't officially been fired and there are reports that he may not even be interested in coaching. If Drew says no, we have heard no other appealing names. I think we all assume that there are a handful of other candidates that we are interviewing that we haven't heard about. I just pray that those names are better than Dooley and Ford