Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about him saying he has such a great job. Just doesnt seem like something someone would say if they were thinking about leaving. I could be wrong though

He's not going to say that he's got another job he's about to jump to as soon as this season is over. It's just not going to happen.

After losing the 2003 national championship game with Kansas, Roy Williams was asked about the then open UNC job, to which he said, on live TV, "I don't give a sh*t about North Carolina!" 10 days later, Williams was hired at UNC. Coaches' comments in situations like that shouldn't be taken seriously.

I would think a assistant coach could finish out the tourney if Drew is our guy? May told the players they would know 3 weeks from when Crews was fired so next week will be three weeks but if Valpo makes the final it will be longer than that.

Last Billiken game (when he was fired) was March 10...3 weeks after that (21 days) would be March 31...the last day of the NIT

Last Billiken game (when he was fired) was March 10...3 weeks after that (21 days) would be March 31...the last day of the NIT

Nobody beats the wiz!

His brother and dad were in the stands cheering him on tonight. Doesnt seem like a coach that is ready to leave. We are screwed. [/quote

I looked at it the other way. Watching his last game at Valpo.

Do you have sources knowing for a fact he will be the next coach?

Just connecting the dots. The Wiz says an agreement is in place with Drew. Last week somebody told me (and Dwayne's World heard the same thing) that we have a deal with a new coach and it'll be announced around the Final Four. Durando said he was told an announcement would happen at the Final Four. It all adds up.

Pat Forde posted a tweet with coaching candidates this morning for job openings. He said a significant name is Dooley by multiple sources, Travis Ford wants to get involved, Stallings, Beard , and Lavall Jordan from Michigan.

Dooley would be a nightmare. I have more faith in SLU than that. Ford would be a waste. He's an underachiever and will cost too much for what he's actually worth. Stallings and Beard would be good. Don't know a thing about Jordan but he doesn't fit the head coach model that we're looking for. All signs point to Drew. If he's as good of a person as DocB says, he won't break this agreement.

Pat Forde's article: https://sports.yahoo.com/news/college-basketball-coaching-carousel--updates-on-cincinnati--georgia-tech--others-203644885.html

"Florida Gulf Coast’s Joe Dooley has emerged as a significant candidate at Saint Louis, multiple sources told Yahoo Sports. There have been media reports that Vanderbilt’s Kevin Stallings, a St. Louis native whose teams have underachieved in recent years, is a candidate, but that remains to be seen. Former Oklahoma State coach Travis Ford is interested in getting involved, according to sources. Other potential names: Arkansas-Little Rock’s Chris Beard and six-year Michigan assistant LaVall Jordan. The problem with Jordan: Saint Louis athletic director Chris May has said his search will focus on established head coaches."

two things need to happen for the billikens to become relavent in less than 4-5 years. numerous current roster players would have to decide they want to play elsewhere to give drew the recruiting opportunities quickly to change the roster (we get one new player this coming year and two next year). and we need to hit homeruns on new recruits for example, goodwin and tillmon and bateman all come to the billikens in 2017.

that said, our current roster signed up to get an education at saint louis university. it isnt their fault crews and platt did not know what they were doing. if our current players want a slu education and are doing their job in the classroom, are good teamates and citizens, they should be allowed to finish their eligibility at saint louis university. could be a long 4-5 years

I agree Roy, winning is important but it is the right thing to do. I understand that scholarships are year to year but I have always felt the right thing to do was see them through their education. I would hope the next coach would coach these guys up and I think it is possible. I think most believe that 4 of the 6 sophomores could be solid contributors and that is a start. Bishop is a good player, Reggie has improved, and Crawford will be a solid player. Wild cards would be Neufeld and Welmer and if they contribute and are coached up this could be a 500 team and I will take that over the dumpster fire of the last two years.