Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was slightly before my time, but I thought I read somewhere that Homer Drew turned down SLU after Romar left...is that true?

I remember him being on a long list of possible candidates in the P-D. I don't remember if Romar was on said list. I just remember it having a lot of names.

Even if Homer did turn us down, SLU didn't have the support from the administration it does now, and it definitely didn't have the facilities it does now.

I'd say that we were a much easier program to turn down back in 1999.

I remember him being on a long list of possible candidates in the P-D. I don't remember if Romar was on said list. I just remember it having a lot of names.

Even if Homer did turn us down, SLU didn't have the support from the administration it does now, and it definitely didn't have the facilities it does now.

"After Romar left" or before Romar came?

"After Romar left" or before Romar came?

Whoops. When Romar was hired.

I'd be surprised if Homer was a candidate when Romar left and Soderberg was hired. First, I don't remember him being considered. The candidates that I remember were the 3 finalists Soderberg, Brian Gregory, and Tim Buckley. Also Romar left in 2002, and that was the same year that Homer Drew retired from Valpo the first time. He came back a year later after his son Scott left to go to Baylor and remained there until Bryce took over. I doubt that Homer would have retired from Valpo and taken the SLU job.

I just listened to the segments on Frank's show. One thing I hadn't seen here that he said was that Drew's camp thinks that a move from the Horizon League to the A-10 may be more of a seamless transition than from the Horizon League to the ACC, where Pittsburgh plays.

Well that is probably true - my question is why us and now? He has never really lived in StL so what is the connection?

I just listened to the segments on Frank's show. One thing I hadn't seen here that he said was that Drew's camp thinks that a move from the Horizon League to the A-10 may be more of a seamless transition than from the Horizon League to the ACC, where Pittsburgh plays.

"More seamless" must be code for "less huge of a jump." I'd like to think the A10 is still closer to the ACC than it is to the Horizon league...

Don't know how reliable these are...it's not relevant to the current situation, I just found it interesting.

"He often said he would only leave Valpo for two other jobs -- Notre Dame or Saint Louis.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7090602/former-valparaiso-crusaders-coach-homer-drew-wife-cancer

"It seems inevitable Drew will leave one day, but only when he is ready. The Drew family has never been an easy read.They guard secrets closely. Homer Drew had a chance to jump to Saint Louis after VU went to the Sweet 16 in 1998 but he turned it down."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-mike-hutton-column-st-0331-20150330-column.html

Well that is probably true - my question is why us and now? He has never really lived in StL so what is the connection?

Good facilities, better conference, more money, stays in Midwest, which could help with recruiting, maybe he sees SLU as a place where he can succeed, etc.

Who knows if it'll happen, but I figured that there would be a Big Ten opening that he'd go to. Outside of Wisconsin (promoted the interim HC) and Rutgers (not Midwest and hired someone else), there aren't any. At this point, we may be the best fit for him.

Don't know how reliable these are...it's not relevant to the current situation, I just found it interesting.

"He often said he would only leave Valpo for two other jobs -- Notre Dame or Saint Louis.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7090602/former-valparaiso-crusaders-coach-homer-drew-wife-cancer

"It seems inevitable Drew will leave one day, but only when he is ready. The Drew family has never been an easy read.They guard secrets closely. Homer Drew had a chance to jump to Saint Louis after VU went to the Sweet 16 in 1998 but he turned it down."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-mike-hutton-column-st-0331-20150330-column.html

Ok, so if there was a time he had the chance to go to SLU, it was when Spoon left and Romar was hired. That makes sense.

Didn't someone already mention that Drew is a very religious man? He might highly value being at a school like SLU or Notre Dame specifically because of our Jesuit mission and Christian values. Also makes sense because he wanted the DePaul job "badly" according to the article.

That also might help with retaining a guy like him long term. It would be a home run hire from the get go, Pestello no doubt would value having a guy of Drew's character in the athletic department. I think its safe to say that Drew is a perfect fit for the basketball program and the university as a whole.

DoctorB posted the below which is good recap of reasons why he would consider SLU.

I will say this about Drew -- and this is NOT from any insider, just a hunch. And based on what I happen to know about the Drew family...

There is a lot to be said for school culture, playing by the rules, issues of faith even. I can tell you a great deal about Valpo, and the culture of faith on that campus--they are not kidding around about that. At Valpo, being an alumnus and his dad the coach, I think it's fair to say Drew has grown use to a smaller community, a clean program, and student athletes who, more or less, are committed to certain kinds of lifestyle, both morally and educationally. Someone claims he can do "better." Who defines "better"? In any case, I really have doubts about Drew feeling comfortable at a "BIG" school in a huge conference with millions and millions of dollars from unscrupulous booster-types. He may in fact wish to do "better" than SLU -- I have no inside info -- but what is better, and according to whom??

Majerus could have done "better" as well, by the way; and I can tell you from personal conversations with him, he truly valued the things that make SLU special, compared to other, bigger, "better" programs. He had his issues, btw; and some horrible things happened with some of those players, on his watch, no debate there. But when he talked about the people and tradition of SLU, and the Jesuits -- he was telling the truth, it really meant a lot to him.

I am suggesting that SLU may, in fact, be the perfect fit for a guy like Bryce Drew -- one who values certain kinds of community, which truly SLU has, with something special to offer. And it would be a step up, conference wise, urban-wise, and academic-wise. Plus a major raise -- what's not to like?? Drew could stick around a very long time, in that case...

IF Chaifetz is willing to pay a coach $2mm/year and Pestello is dedicated to providing the necessary institutional support, it's a very, very good job. I could definitely see it happening.

With the proper support you're at the top of the A10 every year and going to the tourney almost every year.

Adding to what Doc B wrote, Valpo is associated with the Lutheran Church. There was a very interesting article two issues ago in Sports Illustrated about Valpo and Coach Drew. He prays with this players in the locker room.

The Drew family has ties to St, Louis. Homer Drew is a native of Webster Groves and went to Williams Woods College and then Wash U for his Masters. I doubt if Bryce ever lived here, but he likely knows the city.

Plus, and here is the biggest plus, Bryce is a Hoosier!