Coaching Candidates

JMM28

Is there a consensus that Bryce Drew is more likely than Randy Bennett?

Not in my mind - I figured from the Wiz's post that it was between them given that they are playing tonight and one will be free. Bennett was an AC here and has recruited the area before - some time ago - but still did. Lets watch who wins and if no announcement comes then it it is the other one if Wiz is right.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not in my mind - I figured from the Wiz's post that it was between them given that they are playing tonight and one will be free. Bennett was an AC here and has recruited the area before - some time ago - but still did. Lets watch who wins and if no announcement comes then it it is the other one if Wiz is right.

I agree, I would have liked Underwood but he is going to OSU. I think if it was Coach Stalling, Dooley or Jacobson it would have already been done.

I agree, I would have liked Underwood but he is going to OSU. I think if it was Coach Stalling, Dooley or Jacobson it would have already been done.

I agree. If they are targeting anyone who's season is already finished, they need to get the deal done. All they're doing now is wasting recruiting time.

If our coach is Dooley or Terry or even Stallings and they don't announce until next weekend, you would have to seriously question the thought process. With this roster, every day you lose recruiting is a big deal. And March 30th - April 7th is a dead period for recruiting. We need our new coach on campus watching film and working with the guys. We need him out recruiting especially with the local guys.

If our guy is still coaching they better be 100% sure they have a done deal. I don't want to see us get Paintered and then end up getting Haithed.

Or Archie and/or Cronin leave and the UC and UD jobs suddenly become the most attractive Midwest job openings.

If better jobs come open like Xavier or Dayton who's to say Drew doesn't go to one of those schools? I think we will end up disappointed with who the new coach is. This just seems like its taking to long to get done.

If the future coach is someone that still has a team playing in a tournament, what do you expect SLU to do? I'm sure at this point SLU has a handshake gentleman's agreement Be patient. I'd rather have a coach that has his team in ANY tourney right now and sacrifice a couple weeks of recruiting, versus hiring a coach that may be less desirable so we can avoid losing out to the likes of Dayton or Xavier. SLU has their eyes on a target and I feel it is already wrapped up.

It's pretty obvious that we already have an agreement with someone. There is absolutely no way we fire Crews as fast as we did without having already formed a plan for a new coaching hire. If we fired Crews and then said "Alight let's go find a coach at the Final Four now," then the whole AD needs to be canned.

There is absolutely no way we fire Crews as fast as we did without having already formed a plan for a new coaching hire. If we fired Crews and then said "Alight let's go find a coach at the Final Four now," then the whole AD needs to be canned.

+1.

However you have witnessed how this AD handles the details of things... I hope so too. Different situation and different AD, but they hadn't even contacted Majerus (nor did they have his phone number) when they fired Brad.

It's pretty obvious that we already have an agreement with someone. There is absolutely no way we fire Crews as fast as we did without having already formed a plan for a new coaching hire. If we fired Crews and then said "Alight let's go find a coach at the Final Four now," then the whole AD needs to be canned.

Agreed. Also, if Chaifetz is involved as has been reported, then we need to remember we have a very successful and smart business man assisting the AD. He didn't become successful through luck. I'd be shocked if this whole process wasn't very well defined and thought out. Now, until a coach is signed there's always a chance for disruption in the market (e.g. Dayton position opens up), but at this point, I'm trusting the process in place. Welcome to SLU, Coach Drew.

I'n sure its already been mentioned in this 83 page thread, but what's the motivation for Drew to leave his alma mater and a coaching job with a family legacy? Not trying to be snarky - legitimately asking.

giphy.gif