Coaching Candidates

JMM28

Martin.

Assuming there isn't anything with the assistant coach sexual harassment investigation on Cuonzo's end, I think he would be a good hire. With that said, his career numbers are similar to Stallings, at least concerning winning percentage. Martin's SEC winning percentage is better and maybe has an edge in recruiting (had a great class last year with 2 Top 10 players). I think either would be solid hires.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SLU only gets a portion of that, the bulk is distributed amongst the conference members. That's why important for A10 teams to get some wins this year and why so many mid majors got screwed on selection Sunday

The unit was about $1.3 million for each game played those 3 years. So the years we collect the max, SLU delivers $7.8 million to the A10. So if SLU gets 75% of the credit that is JMM28 said than it would be $5.85 million, just a little bit more than I stated. We still get our A10 share, but I would rather be Dancin than looking from the outside.

Can Kevin Stallings get players like Tyler Cook to stay home?

Not sure but his two committed players for 2016 are both ranked in the rivals top 150. He's got a SG ranked 119 and a PF ranked 126.

Hopefully he would be able to recruit at the same level here.

In the A10 only 2 schools currently have commitments from top 150 players, VCU has a player ranked 60th and GW has a player ranked 148th.

The big East and the programs we want to compete with are recruiting top 150 players.

Rank - School

22. Villanova

42. St.Johns

48. Marquette

83. Xavier

98. Butler

99. Seton Hall

115. Butler

120. Butler

121. Georgetown

124. Xavier

125. Providence

133. Marquette

I think Stallings is a solid coach and a good enough recruiter to help get us where we want our program to be.

I originally wanted an assistant coach from a similar kind of program (Xavier, Butler, or Dayton) but Stallings would be a good get and a much safer hire. Especially if the Big East decides to expand in a few years.

Skiles is kind of the new Mike Fratello. His coaching style makes almost any team competitive immediately but his system can only go so far. He isn't a championship winning coach. His personality is really grating and over time he loses players with his demeanor.

Scotty Skiles would coach circles around the likes of Bryce Drew; not to mention, significantly out recruit him, too.

Sure, if you want to join the MVC, Bryce is your guy. He'll win a conference tournament every now and then, and we're dancing.

However, if you want to be a consistent top-40 program,a perennial NCAA tournament participant with national name recognition, you won't go wrong with Scotty.

Scott should make his hiring contingent on SLU joining the Big East! He's got that kind of pull.

As a big fan of the Bulls here are my two cents on Skiles. He is a fantastic coach, very defensive minded and would have the Bills defending like a top 25 team fairly quickly. The downside to him is that players do eventually lose their love of playing for him. Now, that was the nba. In college where players are here 4 years, it may not be as big of an issue. It would be an outside the box hire for sure, but Skiles could do a pretty good job based imo.

+1

No point of going all in for a $1.7 mil buyout if we don't go all in for the best possible coach we can acquire.

Make SLU basketball great every year, Final 4 or bust, make it happen.

I'd rather see us make a push in a few years for the AAC if the Big East isn't letting us in.

It'll be interesting to see whether conferences continue to expand, or if the stick with what they have. Remember, a lot of these conference expansions are being driven by TV. The TV networks (ESPN and Fox) are hurting financially, as I've read that more and more people are ditching cable and satellite for cord-cutting, and the networks are reliant on what they get from the providers for the bundle. With uncertainty in the market, networks may hold off sinking more money into conference to add more TV markets.

Bottom line is that with a combo of terrible university leadership, bad timing, and poor play, we may have lost our chance at the Big East.

Don't you want a coach who can take SLU farther than the Sweet Sixteen? I'm not acting like SLU is better. But why not shoot higher? In three to four years I would like to see SLU go at least as far as the Elite Eight. They have the opportunity to hire a top flight coach.

Wanting a "top flight" coach isn't the same as getting one. You can want all you want. Doesn't change the reality that SLU can't attract a coach that will have that immediate of an impact (Elite 8 in 3-4 years - your standard). How could anyone, by the way, take this bottomed-out program to the Elite 8 by 2019? Everyone wants to see SLU have that kind of success, but be realistic.

Let me reiterate: the opportunity to hire a "top flight" coach does not equal the ability or the actuality of hiring one.

It'll be interesting to see whether conferences continue to expand, or if the stick with what they have. Remember, a lot of these conference expansions are being driven by TV. The TV networks (ESPN and Fox) are hurting financially, as I've read that more and more people are ditching cable and satellite for cord-cutting, and the networks are reliant on what they get from the providers for the bundle. With uncertainty in the market, networks may hold off sinking more money into conference to add more TV markets.

Bottom line is that with a combo of terrible university leadership, bad timing, and poor play, we may have lost our chance at the Big East.

I think this could potentially be a positive development for us. Since the only way to grow revenue in a stagnant environment is to expand the pool of teams/markets, we need to be in a position to capitalize when/if that occurs. When the Big East renegotiates their TV contract (in 8 years) I would presume that they'd look to expand

I think this could potentially be a positive development for us. Since the only way to grow revenue in a stagnant environment is to expand the pool of teams/markets, we need to be in a position to capitalize when/if that occurs. When the Big East renegotiates their TV contract (in 8 years) I would presume that they'd look to expand

Possibly. I'll look for an article I saw in the last few months. The writer had expected that the SEC would try to expand again to add schools in North Carolina and Virginia, but that the issues with the networks could lead the SEC to stand pat.

Don't forget they did have a provision in the TV contract that if they expand from 10 teams to 12, the deal would go from 500 million up to 600 million so there is a possibility it could be before next TV contract.

??? all th people who think we are too good for sweet sixteens now and are demanding a coach that can take us to the elite 8 in three years. Boy you think we were duke or Kentucky here. I'll just toss that talk up to too much green beer yesterday. Stallings would be an excellent get, and if above is true we can't even get him right now.... But elite 8 or bust!

Don't you think we should see what happens w/Stallings at Vandy before we have him turning us down? Pretty sure he'd like to stay right there with the team he's got, since they're likely a dance team for the next two years. What's he got if he comes here? A major rebuilding job.

Possibly. I'll look for an article I saw in the last few months. The writer had expected that the SEC would try to expand again to add schools in North Carolina and Virginia, but that the issues with the networks could lead the SEC to stand pat.

I can't see any NC school leaving for the SEC. North Carolina would lose Duke, NC State would lose Duke, Wake Forest is the 2nd or 3rd smallest enrollment school in D-I football and would lose pretty much everything. Duke won't leave because they are the flagship school of the ACC. Come to think of it, I can't see UVA or VaTech leaving the ACC. That leaves you with schools like ECU, Old Dominion, Richmond, VCU, James Madison, VMI - all lesser programs the SEC would not look to absorb into the conference.