Coaching Candidates

JMM28

I am pretty confident that Stallings is the guy. Felt that way since Wolken first tweeted about it. Wolken is pretty plugged into Vandy athletics. By chance Wolken is in town for the games this weekend, so you may want to monitor his twitter.

On Stallings, I feel like SLU could definitely do worse. And I don't know if they could do better than a guy who has been successful everywhere he has been, including his latest stop in the SEC.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On Stallings, I feel like SLU could definitely do worse. And I don't know if they could do better than a guy who has been successful everywhere he has been, including his latest stop in the SEC.

I think it is a really good hire. It has a chance to be a great hire if they give him the money and resources needed to attract some top assistants. I know it isn't likely, but reuniting him with David Cason would be great.

I think it is a really good hire. It has a chance to be a great hire if they give him the money and resources needed to attract some top assistants. I know it isn't likely, but reuniting him with David Cason would be great.

Funny I was just reading this article regarding hiring Romar back in 1999. I would assume he would have the same requirements, except most of those things have been taken care of.

"Stallings told SLU officials during an interview this past weekend that he would only consider the job if the university showed a greater commitment toward becoming one of the elite programs in the country.

That meant paying their assistant coaches more, improving their weight training facility and giving the coach more control over the schedule."

Stallings probably isn't a home-run hire, but he'd be a really good option.

SLU tried to get Stallings when Spoon left. Stallings was still at ILL State. He said in order for him to come major improvements had to made. I guess the Chaifetz Ctr solved that demand.

Given the way Crews was relieved of his duties and how this whole process is playing out it really seems like SLU is going all in to get this program on track. At least that's what I'm hoping

Stallings probably isn't a home-run hire, but he'd be a really good option.

This is about where I am on this one.

The big knock I have on him is how dreadful his teams have beenin the Tournament. The other night was a reminder of that, watching them melt down in the second half.

My take is that Stallings can win here. Maybe he doesn't lead us to a Sweet 16, but I think we can be a consistent Tourney team with him. Wikipedia says that King Rice, Tim Jankovich, and Dan Muller are a part of his coaching tree. I haven't looked into what other coaches those guys have worked under, but if he could develop a really good assistant, we'd start to go down the Xavier path.

My take is that Stallings can win here. Maybe he doesn't lead us to a Sweet 16, but I think we can be a consistent Tourney team with him. Wikipedia says that King Rice, Tim Jankovich, and Dan Muller are a part of his coaching tree. I haven't looked into what other coaches those guys have worked under, but if he could develop a really good assistant, we'd start to go down the Xavier path.

Muller played at IL St for Stallings and his only assistant coaching job was under Stallings.

Stallings is NOT the answer. SLU should be able to do better than Stallings. The sweet sixteen should not be the ultimate goal for SLU. SLU needs a coach who can take them farther than the sweet sixteen, imo. What has Stallings ever done for so many to want him here?

Stallings is NOT the answer. SLU should be able to do better than Stallings. The sweet sixteen should not be the ultimate goal for SLU. SLU needs a coach who can take them farther than the sweet sixteen, imo. What has Stallings ever done for so many to want him here?

I'm not saying that Stallings is the perfect candidate, but let's not act like he's hot garbage. He has 7 NCAA Tournament trips at a school not exactly playing on a level playing field with the rest of its conference. He's won 60% of his games at Vandy, which is a better winning percentage than probably any SLU coach in at least 40-50 years.

Just out of curiosity, who do you want SLU to hire?

Cuonzo is probably toxic for most programs right now. It doesn't matter if he did anything wrong or not. He has been accused of not taking sexual harassment seriously right away and that is all that matters on many campuses.

Toxic shmoxic. This is a drink that doesn't even faze St. Louis. Hiring an African american coach far exceeds any questions on his character.

I think it's going to be the coach after Stallings/whoever who would turn it into a perennial Sweet 16 or beyond team. That kind of consistent success doesn't happen overnight. Again, not to kick Crews while he's down, but he really tanked the program.

Well, DeSmet mentioned him earlier:

"n 22 seasons as a head coach, from Miami (Ohio) to N.C. State to Arizona State, Sendek won coach of the year awards in three different conferences, won 407 games and eight times appeared in the NCAA Tournament. He had 12 20-win seasons, built N.C. State into an NCAA Tournament regular, lifted Arizona State to Pac-12 respectability and coached such players as Wally Szczerbiak, Julius Hodge and James Harden."

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball-news/4698767-herb-sendek-miami-ohio-north-carolina-state-arizona-state?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

If the next coach isn't capable of getting us to the Sweet 16, then he shouldn't be the next coach. We've never made it, and that's an embarrassment. Unacceptable. No one makes it every year, but we should at least be hitting that round from time to time.

If the next coach isn't capable of getting us to the Sweet 16, then he shouldn't be the next coach. We've never made it, and that's an embarrassment. Unacceptable. No one makes it every year, but we should at least be hitting that round from time to time.

+1

No point of going all in for a $1.7 mil buyout if we don't go all in for the best possible coach we can acquire.

We've never been to the sweet 16, let's not all of a sudden act like we're better than the sweet 16.

I think he meant a consistent Sweet 16 program. The tournament is always a crap shoot. Skip Prosser spent 7 season at Xavier and never took them to the Sweet 16. He was a damn good coach and took over a program in much better shape than SLU is right now.

Toxic shmoxic. This is a drink that doesn't even faze St. Louis. Hiring an African american coach far exceeds any questions on his character.

I don't totally know what this means but I'm certain it's incredibly dumb.

Cuonzo Martin would be a home run. Tennessee blew it and Cal would be making the same mistake.

I agree with what most others have said. I wouldn't call Stallings a home run hire but it would be a very solid hire who has shown the ability to get his team into the tourney. I wouldn't be expecting final four runs with him but I would hope every now and then a sweet 16 or possibly even elite 8.

Would be great to get a home run hire but no home run hire may want to come here right now. Every now and then you have to string together a couple hits to get a run and I think he is a hit. We just can't afford to swing for the fences and miss right now after the past couple years.

Stallings would 100% get my vote. People need to be realistic about what kind of coach we can draw here and he's pretty darn high up there. We aren't getting an uber-accomplished coach with multiple elite 8s and no other warts on him.

As for his lack of NCAA success, I suspect a lot of that is just plain bad luck. Give me a coach that gets SLU to the tournament year in and eventually we'll break through. The key is to get there, then let the ball bounce the way it bounces.

I would take Cuonzo as the coach. I just don't think the Dr P wants to stand up at the press conference of his most high profile hire to date and have to answer questions about sexual harassment or deal with the blow back from women's groups on campus.

As for Stallings not being able to make deep runs in the Tournament I agree with those that say it's basically a crap shoot. Too small of a sample size to judge coaches off their NCAA tourney performance in almost all cases. And Stallings does have a Sweet 16 back when they lost to Georgetown ~10 years ago.