Coaching Candidates

JMM28

Couple more quick points on Stallings:

Will Perdue (Vanderbilt alum and current basketball commentator) was on Bernie's show today and said he could see Stallings as a fit at SLU and that SLU is keeping tabs on the Vanderbilt situation.

Secondly, Stallings has recruited a number of very talented players in recent years (e.g. Jeff Taylor, John Jenkins, Festus Ezeli, Wade Baldwin and Damian Jones) and when he has a quality staff around him has shown he can bring in very good recruiting classes. When Yanni Hufnagel, the top recruiter on Cuonzo Martin's staff, was at Vandy he put together a really good class. Same could be said for David Cason. However, I don't see Stallings being able to bring in somewhat of David Cason's stature at SLU, because of $$$. But there are plenty of other up-and-coming recruiters who might be able to fill a similar role.

Wasn't he just fired?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's say we've reached an agreement with a head coach could he have given the AD a list of asst coaches to work on until the announcement is made

Yeah I think so. I wouldn't put Carawell as a "Top Assistant" as his coaching roles look to be limited so far. I'd be more for rewarding local guys that actually went to SLU (Walker, Diener, Brown) over guys that didn't. However, I'm for guys that will win too.

Promotion, why did Cheaney leave IU?

Top assistant though? I don't think his experience warrants that from what I can tell

why would he leave MU, where he is an assistant, to become an assistant at SLU? Not being combative - am I missing something?

Baylor is considered the top evangelical/Baptist university in the country, FYI. It has a highly religious component, and strong sense of spiritual community. Yes, it's big-time sports INC., in that sense, but it's much more like SLU or Notre Dame than it is like UT-Austin, believe me. It makes perfect sense that a Drew would consider Baylor, given the spiritual aspects; so the fact that he went to Baylor actually confirms my point.

Kind of like when his brother coached at Valpo and then went to Baylor?

Baylor is considered the top evangelical/Baptist university in the country, FYI. It has a highly religious component, and strong sense of spiritual community. Yes, it's big-time sports INC., in that sense, but it's much more like SLU or Notre Dame than it is like UT-Austin, believe me. It makes perfect sense that a Drew would consider Baylor, given the spiritual aspects; so the fact that he went to Baylor actually confirms my point.

Baylor also has one of the dirtiest programs in recent history:

-Carlton Dotson murdering Patrick Dennehy.

-Everything that came after the murder: Discovering Dave Bliss had been paying Dennehy's (and other players') tuition because they were at the scholarship limit, sweeping positive drug tests under the rug, routine recruiting violations, uncovering prior violations by Bliss from his SMU tenure, Bliss lying to investigators.

-The school sweeping a football player's sexual assault under the rug this past season.

-And some other less notable occurrences.

That's about as major as athletic program scandals get, and it's all at the "top Baptist/Evangelical school in the nation." What a joke. Maybe they brought in the other Drew to clean things up, but in the meantime some dirty stuff was happening within the football program. I'd rather have a completely non-religious school with a clean program than a school that pretends to have some religious values but a totally dirty program.

So coaches and schools can pay lip service to religion but it means nothing when they clearly only care about money.

FWIW: I couldn't care less about a coach's religious beliefs. I want someone who will win. For example, Buzz Williams' whole tent revival preacher shtick can be tolerated when his teams do well, but it's grating when he loses.

Baylor also has one of the dirtiest programs in recent history:

-Carlton Dotson murdering Patrick Dennehy.

-Everything that came after the murder: Discovering Dave Bliss had been paying Dennehy's (and other players') tuition because they were at the scholarship limit, sweeping positive drug tests under the rug, routine recruiting violations, uncovering prior violations by Bliss from his SMU tenure, Bliss lying to investigators.

-The school sweeping a football player's sexual assault under the rug this past season.

-And some other less notable occurrences.

That's about as major as athletic program scandals get, and it's all at the "top Baptist/Evangelical school in the nation." What a joke. Maybe they brought in the other Drew to clean things up, but in the meantime some dirty stuff was happening within the football program. I'd rather have a completely non-religious school with a clean program than a school that pretends to have some religious values but a totally dirty program.

So coaches and schools can pay lip service to religion but it means nothing when they clearly only care about money.

FWIW: I couldn't care less about a coach's religious beliefs. I want someone who will win. For example, Buzz Williams' whole tent revival preacher shtick can be tolerated when his teams do well, but it's grating when he loses.

Thanks Pistol. Exactly BAYLOR is terrible. Art Briles is so full of s#$@. After the Basketball Scandal the Football Scandal ensued in which you can watch the ESPN special about it all. Not that ESPN is always right but in this case they are correct. Baylor had a player, Tevin Elliot who was convicted of rape and there were 5 different complaints from different accusers. The student accuser sought help from the University and was denied in fact they wanted it kept quiet. The guy played on while this was happening and was eventually kicked off. Concurrently, while this was an issue Art Briles recruited a transfer from Boise St. Ukwuachu that had sexual assault type issues there. Guess what he went on to assault a Baylor student athlete and was convicted.

Now in the SLU case, I defended the players and they were not prosecuted all charges were dropped. In these cases the players were not only prosecuted but convicted. The worse part is that Baylor did not help these women. At UT Austin, where I attend a MS program, the school sends out regular updates on how to get help if assaulted and details the medical procedures and other support programs. UT Austin is a great school dedicated to student well-being. So yeah Baylor is nothing like UT. Baylor is nothing like SLU either. That comparison is currently an extreme insult.

I hope you're right. We have the budget to land Bryce Drew so if he's the type of person you say he is, we have a better chance than I thought.

It's amazing that it has been more than a week since the firing and there still seems to be very little credible chatter that has leaked. That's not a bad thing as long we get the right guy. Impressive how close to the vest the search has been kept and another reminder that there don't seem to be many insiders on this board, just a bunch of MBMs.