Coaching Candidates

JMM28

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we likely can't afford Diener, I'm hopping on the Majerle express! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Majerle

Nationality: Tan.

Hired.

I checked out his page about a month ago and someone he played pick up ball with in college turned it into a tribute page to how he made Thunder the player that he was.

With the Tan nationality and the previous tribute to some radom dude, Majerle is now my front runner.

I checked out his page about a month ago and someone he played pick up ball with in college turned it into a tribute page to how he made Thunder the player that he was.

With the Tan nationality and the previous tribute to some radom dude, Majerle is now my front runner.

And let's not forget how well AMDG adapts for a second time. ;)

(And it could finally be the end of Gus. :D )

I am with the up and comer and Chris Crutchfield fits that mold, here is some information.

Chris Crutchfield
Assistant Coach
Fifth Season

OU Coaching Staff
6940324.jpeg

An assistant coach for 14 years on the Division I level and a former junior college head coach, Chris Crutchfield is in his fifth year on the Oklahoma staff. He was hired by in April 2011 as an assistant coach after spending four seasons at Oral Roberts University in the same capacity.

Crutchfield, 46, helped Oral Roberts to an average of 20 wins over his last four years at the school and to postseason appearances in 2008 (NCAA Tournament) and 2011 (CollegeInsider.com Tournament). The Golden Eagles finished first (2008), second (2009 and ‘11) or third (2010) in the 10-team Summit League each year.

Prior to his stint at ORU, Crutchfield served on TCU’s staff for two seasons. He was the Horned Frogs’ director of basketball operations for the 2005-06 season before being named assistant coach for the 2006-07 campaign. He was also an assistant for four seasons at New Mexico State (2001-05) under NMSU all-time wins leader Lou Henson, helping the Aggies to two 20-win campaigns as well as a Sun Belt Conference title in 2002.

Crutchfield also has head coaching experience. He served two seasons (1999-2001) at Tyler (Texas) Junior College as head coach after spending the previous two years as an Apaches’ assistant coach. As head coach, he led Tyler to a 35-28 record and saw his players graduate at a 91 percent rate.

l know that i'm in the minority, but I don't think we're that far away. We need a couple of athletic forwards. If there's a new coach, hope he has a couple of quality 6'6" players or a JUCO connection.

Yeah, you're in the minority. This roster desperately needs help at all positions.

That UNC-Wilmington coach (who I think was mentioned earlier) looked like a good up and comer to target if we go that route. I watched him coaching last night and he was very calm on the sideline and his players were playing their butts off and won in OT. However that said, I am hoping the good doctor has another splashy ace up his sleeve.

That UNC-Wilmington coach (who I think was mentioned earlier) looked like a good up and comer to target if we go that route. I watched him coaching last night and he was very calm on the sideline and his players were playing their butts off and won in OT. However that said, I am hoping the good doctor has another splashy ace up his sleeve.

Kevin Keatts

l know that i'm in the minority, but I don't think we're that far away. We need a couple of athletic forwards. If there's a new coach, hope he has a couple of quality 6'6" players or a JUCO connection.

unless those two forwards are draymond green and lebron james i think you are greatly overestimating how close we are to being competitive.

Kevin Keatts

He's shared the CAA regular season title twice so far, his first two years as a head coach.

The bad news is that he was a Louisville assistant from 2011-2014, when most of the allegations against that program were made (they won the 2013 National Championship). Keatts was their lead recruiter in his time there, and was named associate head coach in 2014-2015.

I am finding mixed opinions on whether or not he knew anything about it while it was all going down. He coached Montrezl Harrell at Hargrave and was responsible for bringing him (along with Luke Hancock and Terry Rozier) to Louisville, and Harrell and Rozier are two of the players named by the madame. He also brought in JaQuan Lyle, who more or less confirmed the prostitution allegations. He is quoted repeatedly about hanging out with Keatts in the dorms where the prostitution is alleged to have taken place, mostly in reference to playing ping pong with him there.

As far as I can tell, Keatts hasn't addressed the situation publicly. He's signed at UNCW through 2020, and just unlocked a lot of contract bonuses by winning the league regular season title and tournament, and making the NCAA Tournament.

He's shared the CAA regular season title twice so far, his first two years as a head coach.

The bad news is that he was a Louisville assistant from 2011-2014, when most of the allegations against that program were made (they won the 2013 National Championship). Keatts was their lead recruiter in his time there, and was named associate head coach in 2014-2015.

I am finding mixed opinions on whether or not he knew anything about it while it was all going down. He coached Montrezl Harrell at Hargrave and was responsible for bringing him (along with Luke Hancock and Terry Rozier) to Louisville, and Harrell and Rozier are two of the players named by the madame. He also brought in JaQuan Lyle, who more or less confirmed the prostitution allegations. He is quoted repeatedly about hanging out with Keatts in the dorms where the prostitution is alleged to have taken place, mostly in reference to playing ping pong with him there.

As far as I can tell, Keatts hasn't addressed the situation publicly. He's signed at UNCW through 2020, and just unlocked a lot of contract bonuses by winning the league regular season title and tournament, and making the NCAA Tournament.

Bingo. Those are my concerns re: Keatts too. Good record, perceived recruiting ability as pluses, but possible connection to scandal possibly a deal-breaker.

we arent qualified to even guess. i remain confident that the billiken brain trust will vet the choices and hire the best candidate they can for the right price. just the fact that the next coach will not be crews or ekker we got to get better. it is now just a matter of how long it will take to dig out of the hole we are now in. it might be two coaches from now a decade from now before we see the tourney again. but if we see some pattern of improvement we are going forward.

sorry to say but we are back to the early 80's so now it is time to be patient as we try to move ahead as quickly, yet honorably as we can.

I'd be all in on Bryce Drew. Figure out what it takes and get the job done. I like some others mentioned here, but I don't see anyone that would knock me off the Bryce train. I haven't kept up with the thread so I'm sure he's been discussed at length and someone has come up with a reason we can't get him though

I'd be all in on Bryce Drew. Figure out what it takes and get the job done. I like some others mentioned here, but I don't see anyone that would knock me off the Bryce train. I haven't kept up with the thread so I'm sure he's been discussed at length and someone has come up with a reason we can't get him though

I'm with you on Drew so I just googled him and saw one article that showed he signed a 10 year extension in Dec. 2013. Also saw Valpo pays him $286K but not sure what his total salary package is,,,surely SLU would be able to make him an attractive offer. The A10 is a better league than the Horizon. I suppose there are some that would say he is looking to cash in on a bigger job with a more prestige hoops program. Time will tell once the SLU brass take care of disposing of Crews.

We have holes everywhere on the roster.

Crawford and Reggie are good players who are probably a 3rd-6th type player on a upper-tier A10 team. Definitely not the star/go-to guy, but a guy you can count on for heavier minutes.

Milik probably has the ceiling of a #2 guy although he's regressed this year and it doesn't just have to do with his concussion. Other than a really strong 1 month stretch as a freshman, he hasn't been anything better than a fringe starter. That said, maybe a new coach will actually make an adjustment with his personnel unlike Crews and turn Milik into a better, smarter player. I question whether Milik is ever going to "get it" no matter who the coach though.

Bartley has greatly regressed. If he is still hobbled by his injury, why did we bring him back and why is he still playing? I think someone said that his injury could be one that affects him for the rest of his career. If so, he's nothing more than his current role. 7th-8th man on a ~250th ranked team.

Reynolds can do one, maybe two, things on the court. Draw fouls and sometimes hit the 8-10 foot pull-up. Yeah he leads the team in assists by that's more by default than anything. He could be useful as a 8-10 minutes off the bench guy, but nothing more if you're looking for a team that wants to make the NCAA tournament out of the A10.

Roby looks like a player, but is too slow and mechanical in everything he does. Streaky shooter who can hit 5 3's in a game or barely draw iron on his 5 3's. He telegraph's everything. Last game he was guarding Adams and he went under the ball screen 3 straight times and gave up 3 straight 3's. That has nothing to do with coaching. You learn in grade school not to go under against a shooter. Plus Crews took him out and chewed him out after he did it a 3rd time so he just didn't get it.

Gillmann was already slow and I never like big-men coming back from foot injuries. He can play with the non-conference teams, but not in A10 play.

Jolly should have been gone last year.

Bishop is on a good upward path. He needs to take the next step next year. His shot looks good but his percentages are not.

Neufeld I have no idea what to think. He needs a lot of work and I'm disappointed with where he's at after his prep school/national team time, but I won't give up on him.

Welmer could be good unless his foot injury flares up again.

To me this roster doesn't scream being close. Assuming the NCAA is the goal.

In defense of slu72, we were actually "in" a number of games despite bonehead plays & bonehead coaching. Add just one closer ala Lisch, Mitchell, Perry, Love, Jett, etc when the game is on the line and we'd be down to the wire in many games & the Fetz would be rocking. No, I haven't opened the vino yet today.

In defense of slu72, we were actually "in" a number of games despite bonehead plays & bonehead coaching. Add just one closer ala Lisch, Mitchell, Perry, Love, Jett, etc when the game is on the line and we'd be down to the wire in many games & the Fetz would be rocking. No, I haven't opened the vino yet today.

-just to clarify for you, it was slu72 fan, not slu72

we arent qualified to even guess. i remain confident that the billiken brain trust will vet the choices and hire the best candidate they can for the right price. just the fact that the next coach will not be crews or ekker we got to get better. it is now just a matter of how long it will take to dig out of the hole we are now in. it might be two coaches from now a decade from now before we see the tourney again. but if we see some pattern of improvement we are going forward.

sorry to say but we are back to the early 80's so now it is time to be patient as we try to move ahead as quickly, yet honorably as we can.

-if we have to wait two coaches or 10 years to be in the tourney the wrong coach was hired

-if we have to wait two coaches or 10 years to be in the tourney the wrong coach was hired

Yeah no kidding.

There is no reason SLU should not be able to be a top tier A10 team. Good school, good location, good facilities. It wont happen instantly but the right coach will have SLU in a good position after a couple of recruiting classes.

We have holes everywhere on the roster.

Crawford and Reggie are good players who are probably a 3rd-6th type player on a upper-tier A10 team. Definitely not the star/go-to guy, but a guy you can count on for heavier minutes.

Milik probably has the ceiling of a #2 guy although he's regressed this year and it doesn't just have to do with his concussion. Other than a really strong 1 month stretch as a freshman, he hasn't been anything better than a fringe starter. That said, maybe a new coach will actually make an adjustment with his personnel unlike Crews and turn Milik into a better, smarter player. I question whether Milik is ever going to "get it" no matter who the coach though.

Bartley has greatly regressed. If he is still hobbled by his injury, why did we bring him back and why is he still playing? I think someone said that his injury could be one that affects him for the rest of his career. If so, he's nothing more than his current role. 7th-8th man on a ~250th ranked team.

Reynolds can do one, maybe two, things on the court. Draw fouls and sometimes hit the 8-10 foot pull-up. Yeah he leads the team in assists by that's more by default than anything. He could be useful as a 8-10 minutes off the bench guy, but nothing more if you're looking for a team that wants to make the NCAA tournament out of the A10.

Roby looks like a player, but is too slow and mechanical in everything he does. Streaky shooter who can hit 5 3's in a game or barely draw iron on his 5 3's. He telegraph's everything. Last game he was guarding Adams and he went under the ball screen 3 straight times and gave up 3 straight 3's. That has nothing to do with coaching. You learn in grade school not to go under against a shooter. Plus Crews took him out and chewed him out after he did it a 3rd time so he just didn't get it.

Gillmann was already slow and I never like big-men coming back from foot injuries. He can play with the non-conference teams, but not in A10 play.

Jolly should have been gone last year.

Bishop is on a good upward path. He needs to take the next step next year. His shot looks good but his percentages are not.

Neufeld I have no idea what to think. He needs a lot of work and I'm disappointed with where he's at after his prep school/national team time, but I won't give up on him.

Welmer could be good unless his foot injury flares up again.

To me this roster doesn't scream being close. Assuming the NCAA is the goal.

Our big men outside of Reggie are all stiffs: big, slow, bad, and maxed out.

I just dont see it with Neufeld. Jolly is just a joke. Jolly occupies another level obviously.

Welmer if his shot is on has potential.

Our guards may have some upside. Not gonna give up on reynolds and roby. Neither will i give up on yarbrough. Lets see how they develop under a staff that gives a damn and is competent. A lot of Robys stiffness is due to not being well coached i think. A proper coach would teach miles some real skills.

There is no player dev on this team. Dont forget the upside of not having Crews, platt, bronson, or cheaney on the bench.

it took 25 years to find rickma after 1983. and that was only good for a three year run. in between we had some decent surges. i say we are foolish to think we do this thing honorably and expect we take this existing roster and have ncaa success anytime soon. smu did it quicker, but ask larry brown how he accomplished that? calipari has done it quicker three times. two of those stops resulted in forfeits after the fact and strucken records from the ncaa record book. just waiting for the third shoe to drop.

hey if we hear in the next week the stevens guy is leaving the celtics we hit the jackpot. something tells me he isnt coming. so that means we have to find our own brad stevens. that is the proverbial "needle in the haystack". hey i hope i am wrong. but look at the history. not just saint louis university history, but ncaa history. without shortcuts it just doesnt happen often.

the problem is we hired crews in the first place. to think the guy was handed a top ten team and then didnt have it ready to maintain that level of performance is the crime. and i dont want to hear about freshmen need time. stallings is winning decently and last year played a lot of freshmen. we should have been able to take our recruiting to another level we have never been able to reach in bringing in players. instead in just two years we have the worst roster in 30+ years. there is absolutely no excuse for that. and now to think that firing him will completely and quickly erase that? we have to hire the next stevens AND recruit a stephen curry AND surround him with an anthony bonner AND kevin lisch AND h waldman. we do that, then we have something.

ill still be sitting in my seat cheering, but pardon me if i maintain we might be in for a few years where a good night at the billiken game is i caught a spirit ball halfway through the second half.

ill still be sitting in my seat cheering, but pardon me if i maintain we might be in for a few years where a good night at the billiken game is i caught a spirit ball halfway through the second half.

At least you're in the first 20 rows. In yet another piece of gameday facilities management ineptitude, an average of about 0.5 balls a game make it higher than that. And that's only because they let a limited number of boys into the cheerleader ranks. (And then there are the t-shirt tosses.)

That does, by the way, provide an opening for the true purpose of this board. Anybody still have any pix of that really gorgeous cheerleader from 3-4 years ago who had an arm like Bernie Carbo and could throw into the upper deck? ;)

At least you're in the first 20 rows. In yet another piece of gameday facilities management ineptitude, an average of about 0.5 balls a game make it higher than that. And that's only because they let a limited number of boys into the cheerleader ranks. (And then there are the t-shirt tosses.)

That does, by the way, provide an opening for the true purpose of this board. Anybody still have any pix of that really gorgeous cheerleader from 3-4 years ago who had an arm like Bernie Carbo and could throw into the upper deck? ;)

The true purpose of billikens.com is to build up momentum for canning Crews.

Do you think she could throw Crews' contract out of the building?

You may be on to something here.