Fold the Tents boys...Observations from tonignt

mrjoelabs

REAL Replies please

First of all it was almost sold out.

Crews is officially the worst coach in D1. I'm sorry....the game he won this year were lucky. This man has no idea how to coach period. We just shuffle random players in with no rotation or plan to allow for chemistry. Plus the team has NO alpha whatsoever. That guy who can take the ball and make the big shots. We had Marquee, Reggie, Kevin, Kwamain, Jordair. And now? nobody.

And our BEST lineup is Reynolds, Roby, Crawford, Milik, Reggie. Those 5 should play 75 percent of the clock time. Stop playing useless players. AG cant do anything but get fouls, Neufeld isnt ready, Bartley sucks, and YACOBOU isn't really a D1 player. Reggie is the ONLY man on this team who isn't allergic to offensive rebounds and putbacks.

REAL Replies please

First of all it was almost sold out.

Crews is officially the worst coach in D1. I'm sorry....the game he won this year were lucky. This man has no idea how to coach period. We just shuffle random players in with no rotation or plan to allow for chemistry. Plus the team has NO alpha whatsoever. That guy who can take the ball and make the big shots. We had Marquee, Reggie, Kevin, Kwamain, Jordair. And now? nobody.

And our BEST lineup is Reynolds, Roby, Crawford, Milik, Reggie. Those 5 should play 75 percent of the clock time. Stop playing useless players. AG cant do anything but get fouls, Neufeld isnt ready, Bartley sucks, and YACOBOU isn't really a D1 player. Reggie is the ONLY man on this team who isn't allergic to offensive rebounds and putbacks.

Was thinking this as well. Sadly, there are no wins in that lineup. I thought maybe MY had some hope but he's at least a year away. The only saving grace for the future is Elliott "The Beast" Welmer is waiting his turn, and maybe our new recruit may actually be a shooter who can make shots. It's a long climb back from an abyss this deep.

The whole staff needs to go but i would welcome Crews "retiring" or being fired now and letting whomever the AD thinks will get something out of these players for the last half of the season coach on an interim basis.

I think one of Crews biggest mistakes was not hiring any seasoned assistant coaches. Letting Tanner run the rotation is a disaster because there is no rotation - just random substitutions.

The whole staff needs to go but i would welcome Crews "retiring" or being fired now and letting whomever the AD thinks will get something out of these players for the last half of the season coach on an interim basis.

I think one of Crews biggest mistakes was not hiring any seasoned assistant coaches. Letting Tanner run the rotation is a disaster because there is no rotation - just random substitutions.

Didn't Tanner run the rotation Rickma's last season?

I think Crews is far more of the problem tan Tanner. Assistants do only what the boss wants them to do. If they defy the rotation the boss wants they are out of job.

boys, I've been watching basketball for many decades, and I wish I could tell you what the problem is. It is an enigma, for me.

But that dropping off the ledge stuff -- in last night's case, playing pretty decent especially the last 10 or so minutes of the first half, then just sucking major wind for the first 15-16 minutes of the second half, during which I believe they made either 4 or 5 field goals in about 14 minutes -- is just a complete mystery to me. Some of the subbing is beyond rational thought. I do not have a clue where to begin, in diagnosing this mess.

Serious question, as I shake my head: what is the problem with this team?!?!?

For what it is worth we were a much better team earlier in the year when we has a tighter more structured rotation . As Doc said the subbing is beyond rational thought. I do think Tanner overreacts to turnovers and missed shots. There was 1 point when Tanner subbed for Roby and Crews turned and yelled why did you take him out.

For what it is worth we were a much better team earlier in the year when we has a tighter more structured rotation . As Doc said the subbing is beyond rational thought. I do think Tanner overreacts to turnovers and missed shots. There was 1 point when Tanner subbed for Roby and Crews turned and yelled why did you take him out.

Agree

The offense actually provides a lot of open shots; sadly we don't make many. Take away the 2 desperate nba shots by the munchkin & let Ash & Bartley each hit another & it's down to the wire. Seems like everybody we play has 1 or 2 athletic guys in the middle but we don't get many here.

-SIU had 30 points in the paint partly due to 17 offensive rebounds so tough to play a zone to help offset the inability to stop dribble penetration but I would like to think if I were on the sideline I would have tried something different but that doesn't seem to be possible

-why do we break out the press only in the last minute of games?

What about the theory that we've recruited athletes and not ballplayers?

It's roster construction. With Jolly, Gillmann & Neufeld, 1/4 of our roster are projects for one position. Welmer may end up being the same thing. Then it's 1/3 of the roster. None of them appear to be athletic.

When I think of recruiting athletes over ball players, I think of Weber and Painter SIU teams that we very athletic and beat you with speed and defense. They had some skills, but they were more athletic than skilled.

For the first time in a couple of decades, I have no interest in the team. I have cheered for many losing SLU teams. This team just leave me totally uninterested.Same bao

Same boat. Feel like the losing SLU teams before Majerus were easier to root for because we didn't know any success. Now that our time in the spotlight is over, no one looks forward to more mediocrity.

Assistant coaches are not to balme. And BTW, Jim crews and Jim Platt are both veterans. And I still believe we alot more talent on this team than it appears and our record indicates.

In my opinion, our guys are not buying into what Crews is teaching. Uninspired basketball. No passion and limited effort. I have not seen a worse Billiken defense in years.

Assistant coaches are not to balme. And BTW, Jim crews and Jim Platt are both veterans. And I still believe we alot more talent on this team than it appears and our record indicates.

In my opinion, our guys are not buying into what Crews is teaching. Uninspired basketball. No passion and limited effort. I have not seen a worse Billiken defense in years.

+1

I think you can say that about the majority of the team, but I believe I see passion in players like Roby and Reynolds. I agree with what you are saying though.