#FireJimCrews

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a good night for the #firecrews movement. Ten games left, I think winning 4 more is the best this team can do. It's also possible they don't win another one.

I don't see more than two wins: Duquesne and LaSalle, although LaSalle somehow beat Dayton in Philly.

How quickly after the selection show is Crews going to be let go? Does everyone feel SLU will do the appropriate thing here or do we believe Crews stays around? My gut is telling me SLU is going to keep him around. No information to back that up whatsoever. If they decide to go a different route, the decision needs to be made right away. No need to drag it on.

How quickly after the selection show is Crews going to be let go? Does everyone feel SLU will do the appropriate thing here or do we believe Crews stays around? My gut is telling me SLU is going to keep him around. No information to back that up whatsoever. If they decide to go a different route, the decision needs to be made right away. No need to drag it on.

Not sure it will get to after the selection show before he retires.

My wish was they would have done it by now. That ship has sailed. Should have known better than to think SLU would do what was screaming to be done. Ok, so he'll see this charade thru to season's end, first tourney game in Brooklyn should be the final nail in his coffin. Then the nail biting will begin. Does anyone think that May has had an evaluation session with Jim Crews this season? My guess is no. So, who knows, maybe Crews is feeling little or no pressure. That would rule out him retiring. The guy's 62 and if he sticks it out, he'll make close to a mil next year. For a man his age that's a nice retirement fund. Think about it for a second, you know you're doing a crap job, everyone who views your work knows you're a failure, but the bosses aren't complaining or even threatening termination. I think human nature would be to say, "hell, why should I fire myself and give up a near million dollar pay day?" A self imposed retirement is a pipe dream.

What would be the case for termination in the eyes of the admin? We all know what it is, ie we're watching, and many of you paying dearly, some lousy basketball and there's no quick solution on the horizon. If I lived there, I'd cancel my season tickets and send a note that simply says, "seen enough and there's no hope for next year." But this is SLU, so the admin may just be ok with this lousy product Crews has manufactured. One thing that may change their mind is if they see 3-4 transfers. That may be a huge red flag that this guy is in totally over his head and has to go.

Taj Mahal 79 says the slim pickings of spring signings. We've never done well there, save for Rob Loe. What decent spring signee will want to come to SLU? We don't typically get JUCO's. Does a decent 5th year senior want to come to a lousy not tourney worthy team? Doubtful. Late blooming HS seniors who suddenly find much better programs texting them? Again, doubtful. Where's that leave us, offering roster fillers that should be playing D2 or D3 ball is where. Add those guys to our returnees and year 4 of the Jim Crews era could be far worse than the last two miserable disasters.

Chris May should have a better handle on this problem than we do. He's got to know his flagship program is in dire straits and heading for the rocks. He can't accept another lousy season, for it just prolongs the complete rebuild of this program. As an example, look what is going on at So. Carolina. They hired Frank Martin, a good coach although a little whacko at times, it has taken him 4 years to turn around a BCS program in a good conference. SC has all the trappings of a major athletic program, so it's a nice sell to recruits. One might think he could have done it sooner, but unless you're a Calipari or Pitino, it takes a while. And his first three years were anything but stellar. I don't think we can expect SLU will turn around any quicker. So, if May is content w/ keeping Jim Crews You Lose, we're now five to six years away from becoming a solid program assuming we get a decent coach. He's got to pull the trigger on this fiasco by handing Jim Crews a one way ticket to wherever he was living prior to Saint Louis at the gate after we lose in Brooklyn.

My wish was they would have done it by now. That ship has sailed. Should have known better than to think SLU would do what was screaming to be done. Ok, so he'll see this charade thru to season's end, first tourney game in Brooklyn should be the final nail in his coffin. Then the nail biting will begin. Does anyone think that May has had an evaluation session with Jim Crews this season? My guess is no. So, who knows, maybe Crews is feeling little or no pressure. That would rule out him retiring. The guy's 62 and if he sticks it out, he'll make close to a mil next year. For a man his age that's a nice retirement fund. Think about it for a second, you know you're doing a crap job, everyone who views your work knows you're a failure, but the bosses aren't complaining or even threatening termination. I think human nature would be to say, "hell, why should I fire myself and give up a near million dollar pay day?" A self imposed retirement is a pipe dream.

What would be the case for termination in the eyes of the admin? We all know what it is, ie we're watching, and many of you paying dearly, some lousy basketball and there's no quick solution on the horizon. If I lived there, I'd cancel my season tickets and send a note that simply says, "seen enough and there's no hope for next year." But this is SLU, so the admin may just be ok with this lousy product Crews has manufactured. One thing that may change their mind is if they see 3-4 transfers. That may be a huge red flag that this guy is in totally over his head and has to go.

Taj Mahal 79 says the slim pickings of spring signings. We've never done well there, save for Rob Loe. What decent spring signee will want to come to SLU? We don't typically get JUCO's. Does a decent 5th year senior want to come to a lousy not tourney worthy team? Doubtful. Late blooming HS seniors who suddenly find much better programs texting them? Again, doubtful. Where's that leave us, offering roster fillers that should be playing D2 or D3 ball is where. Add those guys to our returnees and year 4 of the Jim Crews era could be far worse than the last two miserable disasters.

Chris May should have a better handle on this problem than we do. He's got to know his flagship program is in dire straits and heading for the rocks. He can't accept another lousy season, for it just prolongs the complete rebuild of this program. As an example, look what is going on at So. Carolina. They hired Frank Martin, a good coach although a little whacko at times, it has taken him 4 years to turn around a BCS program in a good conference. SC has all the trappings of a major athletic program, so it's a nice sell to recruits. One might think he could have done it sooner, but unless you're a Calipari or Pitino, it takes a while. And his first three years were anything but stellar. I don't think we can expect SLU will turn around any quicker. So, if May is content w/ keeping Jim Crews You Lose, we're now five to six years away from becoming a solid program assuming we get a decent coach. He's got to pull the trigger on this fiasco by handing Jim Crews a one way ticket to wherever he was living prior to Saint Louis at the gate after we lose in Brooklyn.

Really good post I agree with everything. I think the coach will be back next year, it is not what I want but coach is not going to give up his pay, who is their right mind would? What I would like to know from everyone is what would cost SLU the most, buying out the coaches contract or the lack of attendance at the home games? I have no idea how much revenue is generated with the home games. I think my question will be answered if the coach gets another year but I could be wrong.

If Crews is back next year, then that sends a clear message to all alumni that basketball is not a priority for the U.

I've never been so excited for a coaching search. Once a new coach gets in and starts scooping up the Jordan Goodwins of the area, then Pitbull is ready for a reunion tour.

Look, for those of you who think that Crews has any say in his firing or wrong. He does not get to decide - the school does by simply exercising the buy out clause. I am continued amazed at those who still don't get this concept especially after it has been discussed at length on the board.

Look, for those of you who think that Crews has any say in his firing or wrong. He does not get to decide - the school does by simply exercising the buy out clause. I am continued amazed at those who still don't get this concept especially after it has been discussed at length on the board.

But the question is will the school spend the money for a buyout of the existing staff AND the upgrade for a new coaching staff at the same time?

SLU AD shot itself in the foot when it gave Crews a 5 year contract with a very pricey buyout. It just wouldn't surprise me at all to see us hold onto him for another year just because of $$$. SMH.

What is the buyout?

If Crews is on a 5 year contract with a pricey buyout, May should be fired.

SLU AD shot itself in the foot when it gave Crews a 5 year contract with a very pricey buyout. It just wouldn't surprise me at all to see us hold onto him for another year just because of $$$. SMH.

Also agree with slu72. Rebuilding is going to take 5-6 years at this point, maybe longer.

How do you know the buyout is pricy?

If a change is made now and a good coach is brought in, no way a rebuild should have to take 5-6 years. With as much turnover as there is in college basketball now, the right coach could turn things around fairly quickly.