Flagrant Foul Rule

slufan13

What's the rule on free throws on a flagrant foul? For some reason I thought anyone on the court could shoot the free throws so I was surprised to see Jolly shoot them last night. I'm assuming I was wrong and the fouled player has to shoot unless he's incapable of shooting?

I was there; he is incapable of shooting, at all times. I've been uncomfortable with the criticism of Jolly on this board, but last night he crossed the line from marginal player to clown. He is obviously trying to cover for his lack of talent by being "tough", but he ends up just being cheap. And then when he does bait their player into retaliating, he completely bricks both free throws when we desperately need to score. If he could guard at all he could get some minutes, but he can't do that either.

I believe whomever is the recipient of a flagrant foul shoots the shots. The anyone-on-the-court rule applies to technical fouls --- on the coach, the bench, during a dead ball, etc. You have a flagrant 1 and a flagrant 2 with the 2 being more serious, leading to player ejection, and maybe even a suspension for the next game.

I was there; he is incapable of shooting, at all times. I've been uncomfortable with the criticism of Jolly on this board, but last night he crossed the line from marginal player to clown. He is obviously trying to cover for his lack of talent by being "tough", but he ends up just being cheap. And then when he does bait their player into retaliating, he completely bricks both free throws when we desperately need to score. If he could guard at all he could get some minutes, but he can't do that either.

He baited him, all right. Had the refs gone back about 10 seconds on the monitor, they'd have seen that Jolly threw (and landed) the first elbow as they were getting in position to rebound. Then they tugged at each other's jersey's for a few seconds and threw some arms around until the Morehead player shoved Jolly and got called for it.

There are plenty of players who make a living being pests- drawing frustration fouls out of opponents, flopping, etc. in order to get to the free throw line and gain the upper hand on any given matchup. They know they'll be the main targets for opposing fans. Jolly is miraculous in his ability to fail at this and manage to get the home fans to like him even less.