New Billiken Blog!

jordair4prez

Hi guys. My friend and I have started a blog dedicated to our love/hate relationship with Billiken Basketball. Our goal is to create a forum where people can come, read our illogical musings, and join us in complaining about Jim Crews/Brett Jolly/whoever else has earned our scorn over the current week. We are neither basketball savants, nor would our writing be confused with Hemmingway. However, if you find yourself scratching your head at some of the stuff Crews does, or just want to watch a gif of Jolly shooting the ball over the backboard from 5ft away, this could be the place for you. The link is below. Thanks!

http://billibuckets.com/

***obligatory statement saying that we are in no way affiliated with the university, and that any opinions expressed here are our own, and do not reflect SLU.

Found this interesting comment on one of the blog posts, especially the part about Crews "going after" Agbeko after the game. Not sure if it's true or not, so, I suppose we could ask BillikenBoy where he got his info.

"Most of players felt offensive scheme was major reason for the loss. Lastly, most ridiculous part was after barely playing Agbeko, and then sending him back into the game with a couple minutes left in the game and Louisville up 15, Agbeko shot an elbow jumper when the defender backed off him, and Crews lost it and sent Bishop into the game for Agbeko. This however doesn’t end there, Crews goes after Agbeko in the locker room saying open or not, he is not to shoot any jumpers or he will not be on the court. Wonder how that allows a motion offense to work effectively, and how that might affect a player’s effectiveness offensively? Neufeld, has the corkscrew 3 pointer and has the green light……"

Hi guys. My friend and I have started a blog dedicated to our love/hate relationship with Billiken Basketball. Our goal is to create a forum where people can come, read our illogical musings, and join us in complaining about Jim Crews/Brett Jolly/whoever else has earned our scorn over the current week. We are neither basketball savants, nor would our writing be confused with Hemmingway. However, if you find yourself scratching your head at some of the stuff Crews does, or just want to watch a gif of Jolly shooting the ball over the backboard from 5ft away, this could be the place for you. The link is below. Thanks!

***obligatory statement saying that we are in no way affiliated with the university, and that any opinions expressed here are our own, and do not reflect SLU.

OK, I've read your blog. I see the hate. Where's the love at?

I'm also concerned about Ash's lack of production in games against the tougher teams....

Seems like you just have an axe to grind here.

I'd probably get to know Mike Crawford's dad before you make comments like this...

"In short, the answer is probably not, at least that’s the general consensus. I even ran into Mike Crawford’s drunk dad at Humphrey’s before the St. Francis game he said “I just hope my son plays well.” Great team mentality, pal!"

I'd probably get to know Mike Crawford's dad before you make comments like this...

"In short, the answer is probably not, at least thats the general consensus. I even ran into Mike Crawfords drunk dad at Humphreys before the St. Francis game he said I just hope my son plays well. Great team mentality, pal!"

This is more embarrassing for the blogger than anything

Found this interesting comment on one of the blog posts, especially the part about Crews "going after" Agbeko after the game. Not sure if it's true or not, so, I suppose we could ask BillikenBoy where he got his info.

"Most of players felt offensive scheme was major reason for the loss. Lastly, most ridiculous part was after barely playing Agbeko, and then sending him back into the game with a couple minutes left in the game and Louisville up 15, Agbeko shot an elbow jumper when the defender backed off him, and Crews lost it and sent Bishop into the game for Agbeko. This however doesnt end there, Crews goes after Agbeko in the locker room saying open or not, he is not to shoot any jumpers or he will not be on the court. Wonder how that allows a motion offense to work effectively, and how that might affect a players effectiveness offensively? Neufeld, has the corkscrew 3 pointer and has the green light"

100% accurate. The way JC went after RA in the locker room is also accurate. Thus my current disgust with that staff and how they are developing players like RA, AY, MC, and others. SLU is running a motion offense which means it is an equal opportunity offense. Open guy gets the shot yet guys like RA who shot a high percentage in high school and prep and currently shoots very well from midrange to 3pt range came to SLU to get developed into real basketball players not an inside only presence who can only score within 2 to 4 feet from the rim. The kid can shoot the ball but is constantly being told not to by JC as if the only basketball he will ever play for the rest of his life will be at SLU. His development is dying in the hands of JC.

If you watch RA, 2 things are glaring in terms of his development. He has difficulty beating his man off the dribble when facing up and never looks to shoot. See high school/prep videos and let me know if he had an issue then. So that would mean that this staff is not developing his dribble drive skills he came in with and does not want him to shoot the ball. Why? Yet "non-shooters" are allowed to jack up shots at will when they are open. Does RA not have a chance of making a jumper too? I mean we miss enough running the O.

This summer when there were rumors of kids leaving the program RA had ample opportunity to go knowing this JC restriction existed. The staff made promises to him to help his game in these areas so he would sign for another season and went on their word when full practices started. The kid decided to stay based on those promises but as you heard JC went ballistic over him taking an obviously open shot within the context of the offense. I know what is going on behind the scenes and it is situations like that explains why players are developing slowly in this system and we have problems competing at the higher level. I probably said too much but some of these kids should have left when they had the chance to do it. Maybe JC will see the error of his ways and really start developing his kids to be ball players or like some on the board believe he has always been bad for SLU after JJ, RL, MM, DE, and JB graduated. I am firmly in the camp that knows he is bad for SLU right now. So either he will change or SLU will have to get rid of him for the sake of the program. Does a leopard change its stripes?! This is why the idea that teams like Louisville are so superior is hogwash because our kids are not being developed to play to their potential. These young men need to be developed individually to harness their skills for the betterment of the team. Know the Bills defense, develop your offense based on the players you have. Obviously these guys are not the 2013 to 2014 Bills but the talent level here is superb. A good coach would be brought out the best in these boys by now. Time is flying..

100% accurate. The way JC went after RA in the locker room is also accurate. Thus my current disgust with that staff and how they are developing players like RA, AY, MC, and others. SLU is running a motion offense which means it is an equal opportunity offense. Open guy gets the shot yet guys like RA who shot a high percentage in high school and prep and currently shoots very well from midrange to 3pt range came to SLU to get developed into real basketball players not an inside only presence who can only score within 2 to 4 feet from the rim. The kid can shoot the ball but is constantly being told not to by JC as if the only basketball he will ever play for the rest of his life will be at SLU. His development is dying in the hands of JC.

If you watch RA, 2 things are glaring in terms of his development. He has difficulty beating his man off the dribble when facing up and never looks to shoot. See high school/prep videos and let me know if he had an issue then. So that would mean that this staff is not developing his dribble drive skills he came in with and does not want him to shoot the ball. Why? Yet "non-shooters" are allowed to jack up shots at will when they are open. Does RA not have a chance of making a jumper too? I mean we miss enough running the O.

This summer when there were rumors of kids leaving the program RA had ample opportunity to go knowing this JC restriction existed. The staff made promises to him to help his game in these areas so he would sign for another season and went on their word when full practices started. The kid decided to stay based on those promises but as you heard JC went ballistic over him taking an obviously open shot within the context of the offense. I know what is going on behind the scenes and it is situations like that explains why players are developing slowly in this system and we have problems competing at the higher level. I probably said too much but some of these kids should have left when they had the chance to do it. Maybe JC will see the error of his ways and really start developing his kids to be ball players or like some on the board believe he has always been bad for SLU after JJ, RL, MM, DE, and JB graduated. I am firmly in the camp that knows he is bad for SLU right now. So either he will change or SLU will have to get rid of him for the sake of the program. Does a leopard change its stripes?! This is why the idea that teams like Louisville are so superior is hogwash because our kids are not being developed to play to their potential. These young men need to be developed individually to harness their skills for the betterment of the team. Know the Bills defense, develop your offense based on the players you have. Obviously these guys are not the 2013 to 2014 Bills but the talent level here is superb. A good coach would be brought out the best in these boys by now. Time is flying..

I find it interesting that you post as if you are an insider who works for the team. Is that correct? I, for one, have attended many games and practices and have never at any time seen RA "shoot very well from midrange to 3 point range". When I watch the ball often leaves his hand with sidespin or a knuckleball type of spin and the ball seldom goes in the basket. Watch him on the free throw line. the ball almost never is consistant in its arc, spin or direction. One in ten or so seem to have some touch. I like his rebounding potential and he is getting better defensively but everyone on a team must understand their role and his is definitely not one as an outside shooter!

I'm a fan of Reggie Agbeko and hope he has a great career as a Billiken, but both he and his most devoted fans need to understand that what players can do or get away with in high school is not equivalent to what they can do against Div. 1 teams, let alone the elite teams (like Louisville). It's basketball they're playing, not H-O-R-S-E! Reggie needs to improve his footwork and work on not being so predictable by the defense. Maybe then, he'll be allowed to shoot open 15-footers if they come in the flow of the offense.

Definitely gimmick! Lets see when we run it again.

In your opinion what was gimmicky about it? I'm not calling you out, I'm seriously asking because I didn't see anything that much different other than that Louisville is good enough to make everything we do look a little worse.

I find it interesting that you post as if you are an insider who works for the team. Is that correct? I, for one, have attended many games and practices and have never at any time seen RA "shoot very well from midrange to 3 point range". When I watch the ball often leaves his hand with sidespin or a knuckleball type of spin and the ball seldom goes in the basket. Watch him on the free throw line. the ball almost never is consistant in its arc, spin or direction. One in ten or so seem to have some touch. I like his rebounding potential and he is getting better defensively but everyone on a team must understand their role and his is definitely not one as an outside shooter!

Basketball is a confidence game. If you tie a players natural instinct to develop then you create indecision but most of all affect their confidence. Why is Neufeld shooting 3s.....he is being told he can but I have yet to see him make one. AY was terrible from the 3 in recent games until the NF games where he struck gold. That is confidence and coaching staff encouraging him to be aggressive. Even if a kids shooting form is suspect it is still a work in progress that should not be restricted. That is the point.

In your opinion what was gimmicky about it? I'm not calling you out, I'm seriously asking because I didn't see anything that much different other than that Louisville is good enough to make everything we do look a little worse.

One can look at the NF game and this Louisville game to see the obvious difference. We barely ran any of our plays until the second half when things were getting bad. The gimmick is running an O that you and your players do not understand what the end result will be. Staff never knew what it would yield but somehow it would show itself. It never did and plan took all the major players out of the O from the start. I am done talking about that O. On to the next one! I do not have the answers but playing our game is the best starting point. Always has been.

Basketball is a confidence game. If you tie a players natural instinct to develop then you create indecision but most of all affect their confidence. Why is Neufeld shooting 3s.....he is being told he can but I have yet to see him make one. AY was terrible from the 3 in recent games until the NF games where he struck gold. That is confidence and coaching staff encouraging him to be aggressive. Even if a kids shooting form is suspect it is still a work in progress that should not be restricted. That is the point.

You did not answer my question? In terms of Neufeld, I have watched him in practice and he has nice shooting form, a nice rotation and often has nice touch on the ball. He looks to me to have a lot of potential as an outside shooter.