Letter from my Father concerning SLU Soccer

prebilliken

I had to share a letter my Dad wrote to Pestello and May today. My family are HUGE college soccer fans (along with college basketball of course.) He attended the University of Maryland, as did my sister, and my other sister attended the University of Virginia. Along with my bride to be who is a huge ND fan, my life is surrounded by competitive and prestigious soccer programs, I struggle with the fact that the 10 time National Champion Billikens struggle so often in recent years. It is a point of pride in my family, second only really to college basketball, we grew up playing soccer and we continue to love the sport.

I wish I could have seen Pestello and May's face, with all the logo stuff going on, when they opened a letter with the subject line "Saint Louis University Athletics Tradition and Excellence" and then it was about calling for McGinty's head. I hoped they laughed before they realized how inept our program has become.

"Gentlemen,

I am unique in that my father and my son both attended Saint Louis University. I am not a graduate but I love the University. It is my loss that circumstances prevented me from attending SLU.

I also want to assure you that I appreciate that there are more important issues for the University than the objective of my letter. I do not presume that this is going to be the most critical letter than reaches your computer today.

You have each been entrusted with guardianship of one of the nations historic athletic programs in Saint Louis University Soccer. I loved attending games with my son and still try to travel from Arkansas to attend a game each year even though my son graduated years ago.

There is a standard of excellence for the SLU soccer program. To again not make the NCAA tournament is unacceptable. The expectation is that our program will always make the tournament and regularly be in the mix for an NCAA championship. This is our tradition.

(This is my favorite line)
We are like Kansas in basketball or the Notre Dame football program. The universe is not in the right order when we are an early exit from the A10 tournament and an average collegiate squad. We are SLU soccer and the expectation is elevated over every other athletic team.

It is time for you to demonstrate leadership and return excitement and achievement to SLU soccer. We have underperformed for far too long on the pitch. Dedicate the resources and commitment to elevate our program with urgency. This is our tradition and you are each guardians of this responsibility.

Respectfully submitted,"

cleardot.gif

Perhaps "The universe is not in the right order..." is a bit dramatic. But I'm glad a Billiken fan can so poetically voice our shared frustration.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the letter and after this year, I'm teetering on the "we need a change" fence. I have been very high on McGinty since he was hired but we continually seem to under achieve. Had we excelled as we should have the last 2 years with the Kristo class, I'd probably not be happy with the results this year, but more inclined to give a pass. However, we did not perform to capabilities last year or the year before. Actually, I'm still waiting for the McGinty era to take hold at all

I had high hopes for McGinty, especially to bring a new exciting and marketable style of play to the field.

I also think Hermann Stadium needs a face lift.

I know that there has been a lot of whining and moaning about the state of athletics on this board currently but I am truly worried about Chris May's lack of vision for the program as a whole.

Joe Clarke was fired in his final season at SLU, right?

His Billikens were 5-10-3 in his final season, losing in the first round of the Conference USA tournament, but he made it to the tourney in all but one of other season dating back to 1983 when he took over for Harry Keogh. He did have a few first round losses, but also had a few third round appearances and a Final Four.

The standards certainly have changed at SLU.

I agree with most here.

Stadium: Need work especially given what potential recruits see at Louisville, New Mexico and Creighton these days. It was a fantastic place when it opened up but years of neglect have led it to being mediocre now. We do have signs posted regarding the ten national championships along the east stands but I think something more prominent when one enters would be a good idea.

McGinty: I seriously don't understand what happened this year. Such an inconsistent year with plenty of goals scored but too many overtimes and a porous defense. It's hard to figure out if it's the players and their lack of execution (again, coaches don't play the game) or if game plans and preparation were sub-par. I don't see McGinty as being one who's ill-prepared so I side with excecution. Crappy way for seniors like David and Graydon to go out. I like McGinty and I thought he put together a hell of a team with Kristo's group. That group should have done more for sure.

Standards: I think the standards are the same but achieving them is not as easy as it was years ago. We spent too much time thinking that SLU should win because...well just because we are SLU. However, too much parity has encompassed college soccer these days. The powerhouses that adapted and the up-and-comers who seized an opportunity to out coach and out recruit have done circles around schools like SLU.

Students: It is not an event for kids to go to the SLU games. You need a winning product and excitement to get students out there. We have neither right now. Plus the worse thing is losing out on general attendance which is still quite good relative to other schools.

The inverse correlation between the massive increase in popularity of soccer in this country--particularly among teenagers and 20-somethings--and the decrease in success and popularity of the SLU soccer program should be a big concern for leadership at SLU. I realize that there are more schools competing for talent and the development academies now take the top kids, but SLU should be what Akron has become.

McGinty is the only coach I've seen wear jeans on the sidelines. He was wearing jeans, a black shirt, and pointy black shoes last time I went to a game. Maybe he was dressed for the bar after the game or something. Definitely didn't look like the coach.

That was the turning point for me. 'This guy is weird.'

The inverse correlation between the massive increase in popularity of soccer in this country--particularly among teenagers and 20-somethings--and the decrease in success and popularity of the SLU soccer program should be a big concern for leadership at SLU. I realize that there are more schools competing for talent and the development academies now take the top kids, but SLU should be what Akron has become.

That's the biggest issue. We needed to ride that wave, not miss out on it.

We are the birth place of American soccer, literally, how many of the 1950 team that upset England were from St. Louis, how many played at SLU? While the AD can't hold kids hands and make them go to games, it is LITERALLY THEIR JOB to create promotions, incentives, to get students to attend.

We had the second most attended game in SLU soccer history this year, don't tell me we can't duplicate the model.