Upset City, Baby! First Week Upsets Galore

TheA_Bomb

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any Illini players with St. Louis ties that might be interested in transferring to play at home once Groce gets fired either during or after this season?

Malcolm Hill is from Belleville East and Leron Black played HS ball with Roby, but I'm more interested as to what it would do for the 2017 and later recruiting classes. Goodwin and Pickett in particular, but the other kids currently offered by both are Tilmon, Yess, and Eastern in the 2017 class and Finke, Gordon, and Ramey in the 2018 class (SLU has offered both Watson and Easley in that class, as well, while Illinois is interested). Point being, we're competing with the Illini on a lot of recruits right now.

Malcolm Hill is from Belleville East and Leron Black played HS ball with Roby, but I'm more interested as to what it would do for the 2017 and later recruiting classes. Goodwin and Pickett in particular, but the other kids currently offered by both are Tilmon, Yess, and Eastern in the 2017 class and Finke, Gordon, and Ramey in the 2018 class (SLU has offered both Watson and Easley in that class, as well, while Illinois is interested). Point being, we're competing with the Illini on a lot of recruits right now.

Yea Goodwin and Pickett were the two that I think of when talking about Illinois and the 2017 class. Figure the new coach would have time to get involved with the 2018 class.

Did they offer Yess? For some reason I thought it was us and Mizzou locally that have offered him.

Did they offer Yess? For some reason I thought it was us and Mizzou locally that have offered him.

My mistake; add Yess to the column of players SLU has offered but Illinois has not. Wyoming is his other offer. Creighton, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Colorado, Stanford, and Vandy have all shown interest, and he's visited/visiting some of them.

Wasn't Illinois the program that was recently issuing offers like a crappy fraternity gives out bids?

It appears so; they've offered over 20 kids in the 2017 class, likely more. This doesn't mean all offers are fresh, but your point stands. I'd say they're the [Greek letters] of college basketball, but I don't know enough about specific frat stereotypes to know who gives out way too many bids.

Still, some of the guys they've offered that we're both interested in - namely Goodwin and Pickett - are legitimate priorities for them.

In terms of how many offers are too many - there's no easy answer. SLU offers too few guys, in my opinion. By the time we miss out on our first (and sometimes second and third) choices at a given position, other good players have already been offered by a number of other schools and we look late to the party. It looks like we have 8 offers out to the class of 2017 for 3 (probably 4 to 6, based on Hines' scholarship and the likelihood of a transfer or two) spots. If we land even 2 of the kids on our current offer list, I'll be thrilled.

It appears so; they've offered over 20 kids in the 2017 class, likely more. This doesn't mean all offers are fresh, but your point stands. I'd say they're the [Greek letters] of college basketball, but I don't know enough about specific frat stereotypes to know who gives out way too many bids.

Still, some of the guys they've offered that we're both interested in - namely Goodwin and Pickett - are legitimate priorities for them.

In terms of how many offers are too many - there's no easy answer. SLU offers too few guys, in my opinion. By the time we miss out on our first (and sometimes second and third) choices at a given position, other good players have already been offered by a number of other schools and we look late to the party. It looks like we have 8 offers out to the class of 2017 for 3 (probably 4 to 6, based on Hines' scholarship and the likelihood of a transfer or two) spots. If we land even 2 of the kids on our current offer list, I'll be thrilled.

I'd expect Hines scholarship opening up and 1-2 transfers to occur for the 2016 class. Not saying we won't end up with 3-4 scholarships for 2017 but that's projecting who will transfer and the end of next season. I'd expect a transfer or two at the end of this season...

Just a couple of notes.....

USC vs WSU...no upset...2 A teams playing one another...I had USC by 2 ..they won by 3.....outcome was as expected.

ND vs Monmouth ...Monmouth a B team team beats ND an A team. Is this an upset ? Maybe but for now I would say no. Neither team has the required 7 games (both have played 4) It is possible if Monmouth slips back to a C in the coming games and ND hold their place you could call it an upset....Conversely if ND slides back in the future it definitely would not be an upset.

Bottomline...until you have established a good baseline of data ( at least 7 games ) it is hard to judge whether a game is an upset.

Btw...UCLA vs Monmouth game earlier this year (Monmouth wins) ...2 B teams playing one another...probably not an upset.

Just a couple of notes.....

USC vs WSU...no upset...2 A teams playing one another...I had USC by 2 ..they won by 3.....outcome was as expected.

ND vs Monmouth ...Monmouth a B team team beats ND an A team. Is this an upset ? Maybe but for now I would say no. Neither team has the required 7 games (both have played 4) It is possible if Monmouth slips back to a C in the coming games and ND hold their place you could call it an upset....Conversely if ND slides back in the future it definitely would not be an upset.

Bottomline...until you have established a good baseline of data ( at least 7 games ) it is hard to judge whether a game is an upset.

Btw...UCLA vs Monmouth game earlier this year (Monmouth wins) ...2 B teams playing one another...probably not an upset.

Monmouth may very well be a B team, but they said at the end of the game that they've never beaten a top 25 opponent before. To me, that qualifies as an upset!

I'm pretty sure he means PIKES. Show up with some trophies you've awarded yourself and just pass out bids to anyone living on floors 1-16 Gries plus Rheinart, rush done.

I'm sure a few of them are on this board, come at me bro.

As to Illinois we need to beat out those punks, big state schools winning is so 90s. It's 2015 now you want to live in Mid-town that's what's up. New Billiken, New Attitude (hey Mays feel free to use that one).

• 2 weeks later...

Shaka and Tx beat #3 UNC 84-82 via a buzzer beater 2pt

How close was that? The ball couldn't have been off his finger an inch before the light went on.

Apparently Wichita State has righted the ship. Knocked off #25 Utah by 17.

Couldn't understand how Utah was a ranked team ....not even close...a B team

WSU currently B+

Both teams are bubble teams....WSU for NCAA...Utes for NIT