Former billikens

brianstl

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin Lisch never played in an NCAA Tournament because Rick Majerus was not willing to do what Jim Crews did: adapt and build around the talent already on the roster before making a transition to his system. Yes, what RickMa did worked, in the long run, but it came at the expense of Lisch's chance at the Dance.

No coach could have gotten lisch to the ncaa tournament with the roster that was inherited when brad left unless he had brought in a bunch of 5 star recruits for lisch' senior year. It wasn't the system; it was the talent outside of Kevin Tommie and to a much lesser extent Meyer.

No coach could have gotten lisch to the ncaa tournament with the roster that was inherited when brad left unless he had brought in a bunch of 5 star recruits for lisch' senior year. It wasn't the system; it was the talent outside of Kevin Tommie and to a much lesser extent Meyer.

And Relphorde would've helped a bit, but that would've only been for Lisch's senior season, IIRC.

Yep...06-07 should've been a Tourney team. It had the talent. Losing to a 7-22 St. Bonnie team and a 10-19 Duquesne team to begin A-10 play killed us that year. We win those two, I think we are in good shape to make the Tournament. Other than that, Lisch had no chance, especially after Sodie left.

Kevin Lisch never played in an NCAA Tournament because Rick Majerus was not willing to do what Jim Crews did: adapt and build around the talent already on the roster before making a transition to his system. Yes, what RickMa did worked, in the long run, but it came at the expense of Lisch's chance at the Dance.

How exactly did Crews "build around" the talent Majerus left him? He let Majerus' players play and run the system they knew. The only "building" he did was give Agbeko, Crawford, and Lancona some token minutes at various points his second season. The knock on him is always that he ran the seniors into the ground, but in hindsight limiting the minutes of his own recruits was probably one of the better moves he made here. Quite a stretch to call that "adapting." The hands off approach worked with a veteran team of really good players. What a surprise that a similar hands off approach has not worked with younger players of lesser talent.

Yep, Majerus really needed to just let Dustin Maguire, Anthony Mitchell and Adam Knollmeyer loose on the league and watch them dominate. All while allowing Bryce Husak and Dwayne Polk to play under Sodie's system. That would have totally gotten Lisch to the tourney under his watch.

Yep, Majerus really needed to just let Dustin Maguire, Anthony Mitchell and Adam Knollmeyer loose on the league and watch them dominate. All while allowing Bryce Husak and Dwayne Polk to play under Sodie's system. That would have totally gotten Lisch to the tourney under his watch.

Dream match-up: Polk, Maquire, Mitchell, Knollmeyer and Husak coached by Soderberg vs. whatever lineup Crews can come up with this squad. I think I've got to go with Sodie's team just because Sodie was a decent coach (crappy recruiting was his flaw).

oh, i know exactly how it happened. just terribly unfair to guys like kevin lisch, luke meyer and sweet, sweet danny brown. guys that played out of position to help the team win (lisch playing quite a bit of point guard when he was obviously a gunner, and meyer and brown playing PF for us at like 6'5", tops)

i have to say, if i were a recruit, i would not even remotely consider SLU right now. all the tools in the world to be bigtime, and completely shitting the bed. unbelievable that lisch came here with soderberg (though i'd blame a lot on the facilities/support at the time), but i think even he would pass on the billies with crews here.

Man....

Meyer, Lisch, and Brown were lightyears ahead of current talent. Soderberg outrecruited Crews. Crews sucks so bad. #FireJimCrews

The truly sad thing is that JC already has equivalents to those but cannot land a KL or TL or even a friggin' Luke Meyer. This is pathetic.

Simply wrong. Lisch never played in an NCAA Tournament because Sodie repeatedly missed on recruiting opportunities to build on a nice little core of KL, TL and IV... it is why Sodie was canned. In particular Sodie did a TERRIBLE job of finding a good backcourt mate to help KL. We had a lot of DP and no other viable options at the point. The roster had no depth. KL's junior season was a lost year, because IV had graduated and RM was hired so late that he had no chance to recruit. For KL's senior season, RM decided to load up with freshmen to try to build the program. I'm not sure landing a couple of quality jucos would have even helped KL reach the Tourney his senior season, since TL seemed to spend most of that year sulking. KL was an outstanding player, but too bad he didn't have a better supporting cast. Kwamain and KL seemed to be developing a nice chemistry the last half of the one season they played together, but there just wasn't enough talent on that team for a NCAA Tourney bid.

Nope

Dream match-up: Polk, Maquire, Mitchell, Knollmeyer and Husak coached by Soderberg vs. whatever lineup Crews can come up with this squad. I think I've got to go with Sodie's team just because Sodie was a decent coach (crappy recruiting was his flaw).

Sodie's team would blow them off the court. Brad was not only a better game coach than Crews, he was a better recruiter. Brad with the current facilities and money for a staff would be recruiting a higher level than Crews.

It was time for Brad to go, but the facilities and the lack of a contract extension killed his recruiting the last few seasons.

Simply wrong. Lisch never played in an NCAA Tournament because Sodie repeatedly missed on recruiting opportunities to build on a nice little core of KL, TL and IV... it is why Sodie was canned. In particular Sodie did a TERRIBLE job of finding a good backcourt mate to help KL. We had a lot of DP and no other viable options at the point. The roster had no depth. KL's junior season was a lost year, because IV had graduated and RM was hired so late that he had no chance to recruit. For KL's senior season, RM decided to load up with freshmen to try to build the program. I'm not sure landing a couple of quality jucos would have even helped KL reach the Tourney his senior season, since TL seemed to spend most of that year sulking. KL was an outstanding player, but too bad he didn't have a better supporting cast. Kwamain and KL seemed to be developing a nice chemistry the last half of the one season they played together, but there just wasn't enough talent on that team for a NCAA Tourney bid.

At least Brad had a sort of excuse for his diminishing returns on the recruiting trail.

Crews has no excuse at all. He had more advantages than any previous SLU coach and completely failed miserably. For that reason he is the worst hire ever in the history of Billiken basketball. Crews makes Ekker look like Wooden in comparison.

Sodie's team would blow them off the court. Brad was not only a better game coach than Crews, he was a better recruiter. Brad with the current facilities and money for a staff would be recruiting a higher level than Crews.

It was time for Brad to go, but the facilities and the lack of a contract extension killed his recruiting the last few seasons.

Soderberg was better than Crews in every conceivable way.

At least Brad had a sort of excuse for his diminishing returns on the recruiting trail.

Crews has no excuse at all. He had more advantages than any previous SLU coach and completely failed miserably. For that reason he is the worst hire ever in the history of Billiken basketball. Crews makes Ekker look like Wooden in comparison.

??? Not sure what Crews sucking on an epic level has to do with Sodie's recruiting failures and inability to deliver a NCAA Tourney appearance for KL. Also not sure what Sodie's "excuse" for not landing a decent pg and a little better supporting cast for KL were... he had five recruiting periods from the time TL & KL committed to make the supporting cast better, but failed.

It was time for Brad to go. That said.......

Brad had awful facilities, a small recruiting budget, a small budget for his staff, had to deal with a conference downgrade and had to recruit on an contract that was expiring. He should have still done better on the recruiting trail, but those things all contributed to the drop in the level of recruiting from when Brad started to when he was fired.

Soderberg got greedy. After he landed liddell and lisch he totally overestimated the worth of having them and how it would assist his recruiting. He started holding out for the a/b recruit and was passing on players that would be nice compliments to kevin and Tommie. The shaw kid that went to SIU immediately comes to mind. Ironically the grimes kid he held out for and didn't get ended up being a total trainwreck while shaw was a four year starter for some good SIU teams. But that is where soderberg failed. Still he was way better that this. In my 30+ years I'd rank him far ahead of ekker and crews.

Didn't Brad only extend the number of offers that he had scholarships available? In other words if he had 3 scholarships to fill, he would make 3 offers. When one of those guys committed somewhere else he would make another offer. Better to make multiple offers for the available scholarships. Then if you get down to only one left with multiple offers extended tell them first guy that commits gets it.

How exactly did Crews "build around" the talent Majerus left him? He let Majerus' players play and run the system they knew. The only "building" he did was give Agbeko, Crawford, and Lancona some token minutes at various points his second season. The knock on him is always that he ran the seniors into the ground, but in hindsight limiting the minutes of his own recruits was probably one of the better moves he made here. Quite a stretch to call that "adapting." The hands off approach worked with a veteran team of really good players. What a surprise that a similar hands off approach has not worked with younger players of lesser talent.

Looking through your burning effigy of Coach Crews, you two are misconstruing what I was saying. I was contrasting the approaches. Majerus's approach was to tear down and build from scratch, sacrificing the holdovers from having a reasonable shot at playing in the NCAA Tournament in their senior season. Had RickMa eased in his systems and catered a bit more to what the holdovers had already been indoctrinated in, the chances would have been better in Year 2. In Crews's interim year and the one that followed, he took the approach of adapting (his systems) and building around the 2010 recruiting class's indoctrination by Majerus. That was his approach — it's not to say he succeeded in "building."

• 1 month later...

The truly sad thing is that JC already has equivalents to those but cannot land a KL or TL or even a friggin' Luke Meyer. This is pathetic.

To each their own, but I think Crawford is a better player than Meyer. At least offensively.

This was fun to watch. Watching that white dude die after the block never gets old.

I truly think he could earn a roster spot in the association.

Depends on if he ever learns to shoot it from outside (not "mid-range"). He can clearly guard NBA players, but wouldn't be able to score at the basket the way he does now.

Depends on if he ever learns to shoot it from outside (not "mid-range"). He can clearly guard NBA players, but wouldn't be able to score at the basket the way he does now.

I agree.

Although I think he would still surprise a lot of people with how strong he is, and how well he handles the rock.