Nice, team member-created A-10 Soccer Tourney blog

ThomasCrone

Recovering-from-injury defender Julian Gieseke's been cranking out a few vids about the soccer program. Up on YouTube, a few pieces of the SLU team traveling and preparing for the A-10 tourney.

Day 1:

Day 2:

A nice look at the road life for a collegian. And a nice video postcard for these guys when they're old and gray like a lot of us.

TC

-30-

Skip: you are the soccer fan, and as you already know, I am not. You said SLU soccer was "relevant" on the national scene in our last trade. Frankly, I have no way to argue one way or the other. Other than to say I WANT them to be relevant but just don't see it and haven't seen it in any way shape or form since the glory days of the 60's.

I watched last night's first half against Rhode Island thanks to Jim's link above. I had even entertained driving down to DC to support them, but my lack of interest in the game kept me home on a cold, blustery night. The first half was truly uninspired play. Then the #3 seed feel behind 4 to 0 to #6 before scoring two meaningless goals and making the score "respectable." That caps a .500 year and no post season. I shudder to think teams like Dayton and Rhode Island have passed us by in just the A10, never mind the national scene.

Obviously, something needs to be fixed and given your passion for the team/sport, what do you think?

Skip: you are the soccer fan, and as you already know, I am not. You said SLU soccer was "relevant" on the national scene in our last trade. Frankly, I have no way to argue one way or the other. Other than to say I WANT them to be relevant but just don't see it and haven't seen it in any way shape or form since the glory days of the 60's.

I watched last night's first half against Rhode Island thanks to Jim's link above. I had even entertained driving down to DC to support them, but my lack of interest in the game kept me home on a cold, blustery night. The first half was truly uninspired play. Then the #3 seed feel behind 4 to 0 to #6 before scoring two meaningless goals and making the score "respectable." That caps a .500 year and no post season. I shudder to think teams like Dayton and Rhode Island have passed us by in just the A10, never mind the national scene.

Obviously, something needs to be fixed and given your passion for the team/sport, what do you think?

Taj.

I am a fan of soccer (especially on the national level) and a casual fan of SLU soccer. My daughter plays select soccer, we went to Busch Stadium to cheer on both the USWNT against Australia earlier this year as well as Chelsea when they played Man City last year. Tonight, we would be at the men's game when they play St. Vincent & The Genadines but for a conflict. As to SLU, I used to have season tickets to soccer but for the past 10 years I could only attend 1 game each year. Nonetheless, I read and follow the team and wish them well.

As to relevant, SLU was dominant in the 60's -- the best team in the country winning national championships nearly each year. Since then, they were still good and "relevant" in the 1980's under Joey Clarke and seemed to be heading back to being a national champion under Bob Warming in the early 1990's. Since then, the team has sure had its share of high profile players, has had some nice teams and won some good games, but yes, the team has not been relevant here lately -- much later than the 60's. In fact, I would say that relevance began truly fading these past 10 to 15 years.

IMO, our head coach (McGinty) must be let go. Honest question to the soccer community: does conference affiliation really matter in soccer?

I would argue the team was relevant on the national level under Bob Warming and up to the time the last of his players filtered out of the program.

When Warming left after the 2001 season to return to Creighton it should have been a warning sign to all of us of the deep problems in the athletic program overall. I think many of those problems still exist today. SLU went from being viewed as a big step up from Creighton to being viewed as a less desirable job. Then a little more than a decade later SLU loses it's spot in the Big East to Creighton.

A new coach might help the soccer program, but the whole athletic department needs to be fixed to really have a long term impact on programs that seem to be faltering.

I would argue the team was relevant on the national level under Bob Warming and up to the time the last of his players filtered out of the program.

When Warming left after the 2001 season to return to Creighton it should have been a warning sign to all of us of the deep problems in the athletic program overall. I think many of those problems still exist today. SLU went from being viewed as a big step up from Creighton to being viewed as a less desirable job. Then a little more than a decade later SLU loses it's spot in the Big East to Creighton.

A new coach might help the soccer program, but the whole athletic department needs to be fixed to really have a long term impact on programs that seem to be faltering.

Starting to feel this way more and more.

Joey Clarke was a classmate of mine, So was Ty Keough. Don Aubuchon (RIP). I have a lot of good memories but soccer seems to have gone the way of George Mikan and Ed Mccauley. A lot of the folks who saw it and lived it are gone and so the memory begins to fade. Much like "Saint Louis University invented the forward pass." How's our football program today?

This is so true.

'

What is Chris May's biggest accomplishment as athletic director at SLU? Serious question.

The game last night was painful to watch. They created lots of chances but the creativity and finishing were terrible. Rhode Island's first goal was scored because SLU decided to drop back when a lone Rhode Island player got the ball in the corner of the box. The worst part (and why I would be happy to see McGinty go) was that despite SLU's talent their offense looked like a pick-up game. Spacing was poor (and led to goals) and nobody seemed to know what was happening next. There were some nice runs occasionally but they were not noticed; it really looked like the team was playing together for the first time and that is the fault of coaching.

I think he has upgraded a lot of the minor programs. Hiring Lisa Stone looks like a home run.

In my limited memory, I'd say his big accomplishment was Hendrickson and the baseball team. Stone seems solid but it's still hasn't produced results.