SLU v. Illinois State

SluSignGuy

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if there will be any leaks about the game on the interwebs

Don't know but I though Stu was covering us not IL State. Who cares who they are playing. This guy is beyond terrible - all he did was look at the schedule and pluck something off that is totally irrelevant to his assignment.

Don't know but I though Stu was covering us not IL State. Who cares who they are playing. This guy is beyond terrible - all he did was look at the schedule and pluck something off that is totally irrelevant to his assignment.

Yeah, right. A lower-tier team that's playing #1 and #3 is "irrelevant." Remind me again, what high-ranking teams are on our schedule?

As someone that knew we were playing Illinois St and is also aware of what our schedule was, I found stu's note to be interesting.

Seems a little harsh.

While it is discouraging to hear we got beat in a scrimmage with Illinois State, at least we didn't have to watch it and it was just a scrimmage, so who knows what the team was working on and if they were truly playing to win (I think this was the rationalization for why we played poorly in the Bahamas).

FYI...a scrimmage is not a game. It is a time when coaching staffs get to implement their O and D versus live competition. Even if we lost by 2 or won by 2, the knowledge gained will help to make adjustments before we play real games that count. Sorry but the sky is not falling! Some encouraging results came out of this scrimmage.

ISU is supposed to be in the upper part of the middle of the MVC. So there's that...

True, I am seeing them as 4th in the MVC preseason rankings behind (1)Wichita State, (2)Evansville, and (3)UNI and above (5)Loyola and (6)Indiana State (SIU is picked 9th just ahead of Bradley).

FYI...a scrimmage is not a game. It is a time when coaching staffs get to implement their O and D versus live competition. Even if we lost by 2 or won by 2, the knowledge gained will help to make adjustments before we play real games that count. Sorry but the sky is not falling! Some encouraging results came out of this scrimmage.

"...I mean, listen, we're talking about scrimmage, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about scrimmage. Not a game. Not, not … Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game, but we're talking about scrimmage, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about scrimmage. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And I'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about scrimmage man. What are we talking about? Scrimmage? We're talking about scrimmage, man. [laughter from the media crowd] We're talking about scrimmage. We're talking about scrimmage. We ain't talking about the game. [more laughter] We're talking about scrimmage, man. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you see me play don't you? You've seen me give everything I've got, right? But we're talking about scrimmage right now..."

Didn't they beat Memphis in scrimmage last year? We saw how the rest of the season went so can't read too much into it but would at least prefer to hear some players looked good.

Memphis didn't have their whole team last year for the scrimmage if I remember correctly and reports said that Lancona played well so who the hell knows what these scrimmages actually mean. I think a poor performance is discouraging but not the end of the world at all.

The first 3 games on the schedule should all be wins. So it may be a similar start as last year (last year we actually started 2-1 I think?) Just hope the next 28 games are better.

I saw you posted these comments after the scrimmage last year:

Other points of interest is we were down by 15 at one point in the first half and we cut it to 5 by the end of the first half, and then taking the lead in the second and finally winning it. Team will be good folks.

SLU with the 3 point win. Shaq. Goodwin played but Austin Nichols DNP. We got handled on the glass. But on positive side Roby, Agbeko, Crawford, Gillmann, and Reynolds played pretty well.

MC was big time shooting the ball from distance, TL made a couple, as well as Gillmann (1). AM may want to put today behind him. He forgot his game in St . Louis. Luckily, MR stepped up big directing traffic.

I would believe staff was very encouraged by this scrimmage. AM had a very forgettable day and AY struggled a bit early. Those that impressed were MC, RA, AG, MR, and DR.

We will get better with more experience but I am admittedly excited about this team and our chances to prove the bball gurus wrong.

Some additional comments that I found interesting following the scrimmage last year:

Dwayne's_World: I was actually more so taking a jab at some of the chicken littles on here who didn't think the team was going to be even remotely decent this year. I've been confident of a 20+ win season the whole time, and seeing the team in action last week made me even more confident. Hearing the news of beating Memphis in a scrimmage (a consensus pre season top 30 team right now) makes me even more confident. (this was in response to a sunshine pumping post from Clock_Tower who misinterpreted a prior post from Dwayne's_World)

Billikenboy: Team will be good folks

SLU_Nick: I am grasping for a 20 win season on the back of our soft schedule and then the committee giving us the benefit of the doubt bc we have been there for 3 straight years...

slufan13: It will be an up and down season but starting to think the highs will be pretty great.

Then Memphis lost their exhibition game to DII Christian Brothers and some decided to mock slu72 and his concerns (comical at this point):

kshoe: Ouch. Bet slu72 is going to revise his season prediction below 14 wins now.

Westy03: Slu72 revises his prediction to 1-29. Only win against Rockhurst

kshoe:Especially true if this d2 team out rebounded Memphis. I'm still trying to figure out we ever made 3 NCAA tournies after losing to Carleton!

slu72 wins for taking away the most obvious concern from the reports that would end up hurting us all season:

slu72: Every time I hear we sucked on the boards it brings back memories, painful, of last year's game against Mason. They manhandled us on the boards, and at times had 3-4 attempts at put backs. A lousy team took a ranked team to OT largely due to poor board work. It was also ugly to watch against HS, when a much shorter team pushed us around on the boards and denied us put backs. Remember RM's key to winning, defense and rebound! Start writing it on the whiteboard like CE did. Can't figure with our size that we should get crushed on the boards.

No, I'll go with my revised 18-12. But I won't be betting the farm on it. And I'm damned glad we don't have Carleton on our schedule.

So the sunshine pumpers had a lot of takeaways from a meaningless scrimmage a year ago and used it to call out those who had concerns about the talent level of the team. Again, this was a scrimmage that none of us witnessed, yet many of us witnessed the exhibition game against Harris Stowe and voiced obvious concerns which would hurt us the entire season.

I may dig into some of the threads from early last season, I am sure there are more similar posts like the one above from posters mocking the posters who are actually able to take things away from games beyond the box score.