SLU Soccer Rankings (suspended)

kwyjibo

SLU lost in overtime to Indiana and then tied at Rhode Island. They are now out of the polls and their RPI is officially 62 (59 in the unofficial daily). SLU needs to win a few games before they are considered for ranking or at-large. The game against Dayton tomorrow is the best record left on their schedule although they have some games against tough teams with bad records coming up. A-10 is currently a 1 bid league that only a major win streak will change. The road wins over Louisville and Tulsa are good wins and have lost to two top 10 teams but going 0-1-1 this weak set the team back a good deal.

I was in Boston area last weekend but decided not to go to the Rhodey game (I have been to games there before and I knew it would be windy). I will likely go to UMass game this weekend but not 100% (a victory over Dayton will make the drive easier).

I would just like to say SLU soccer is NOT irrelevant. We are a national power with a roster comprised with 37% foreigners and 14% St. Louisans with a reputation that demands we win the A10 autobid to get in the tournament with that title decided in DC.

I hate to say I agree. Can't believe we lost another one in OT at home and another one where we led at one point. Something is not right.

I have not seen a lot of games this season, but last night, there were sequences when the Billikens looked like they just did not care all that much. Just go for the long ball and hope for the best. I did not see our best games, but based on those results, it seems as though they are underachieving in a big way. Chemistry or morale may be an issue.

I barely made the intramural team that I organized in college, but it seems to me that Coach McGinty needs to go back to the drawing board. And, maybe even change up the keeper as that golden goal was scored on poor defending by the keeper as far as I could tell from my seat.

I would just like to say SLU soccer is NOT irrelevant. We are a national power with a roster comprised with 37% foreigners and 14% St. Louisans with a reputation that demands we win the A10 autobid to get in the tournament with that title decided in DC.

Always good to have you post. Please do us a favor and ignore soccer threads.

Our reputation doesn't demand anything.

Is it about time we start questioning McGinty? I really liked him, but the results have been less than expected

I like him too and he's recruited very well, but they just continue to underachieve on the field. I don't know if he had bad strategy, bad lineups? Or does he just land a bunch of overrated recruits?

I like him too and he's recruited very well, but they just continue to underachieve on the field. I don't know if he had bad strategy, bad lineups? Or does he just land a bunch of overrated recruits?

-I don't know much about soccer, but if the talent is there and healthy is the problem either how the coach is using or not using the talent or the players don't get along which goes to the coach and how they assembled the roster?

I can't imagine McGinty doesn't see what we all see. He's been around high level soccer and knows what it looks like and what it doesn't. How he fixes it is another question. He had a a good run with the group that graduated last year and is almost starting over with several new players. I thought we had enough veterans to get us through the trials and tribulations of changing team dynamics but it hasn't come through. The curious thing is the fact we are not having an issue scoring but we are certainly giving up too many goals especially late. I wouldn't have expected that with David, Heskamp, Karcher, Pavilisc (sp), and Otte back there.

It's not just this year. I think we've under achieved since he's been here. Our postseason results are less than expected

As an FYI for those who may not remember, McGinty has been here since the Fall 2010 and in that time, his teams have only won the conference championship once and has only advanced to the NCAA tournament twice in 2012 and 2014. His teams are 1-2 in the tourney with two losses at home included a loss against Farleigh Dickinson.

I am not sure what the expectations should have been prior to the start of the season, but the early season results, including the performance of our two transfers, had me convinced that a tourney bid was a given.

I think in general it is often hard to prove that coaches are not getting enough out of their players but with SLU soccer so many players (this was damning against Donigan as well) go on to get drafted and have successful pro careers that something has to be wrong. 6 guys got drafted in the last two years and they did not make the tournament 2013.

I bailed two weekends in a row to see them. Basically it just did not work out but I could have made it to either game. I wish the team luck but it seemed like a good chance I would be frustrated if I went (which it likely would have been the case).

The UMass game honored 4 time A-10 coach of the year Sam Koch who died last summer. Most of the players had been recruited by Koch and I knew the game would be better attended than most UMass games.

Admittedly, it has been one of those years for me too. I have seen approximately 1.5 games so far this season at Hermann Stadium and a few moments here and there online. I am not sure if I'll make it to anymore this season.