Bahamas Tour Coverage

bills07

Bishop really needs to develop in my opinion as this team really needs a point guard. The small sample size I have seen tells me he can bring the ball up the floor and distribute the ball. Will he learn the system fast enough and will be able to play defense as needed though?

I have stated in other threads, as have others, that defense is really the key this year. I believe we will have more options to score this year, but we have to step up the defense significantly or we won't win 15 games. Defense is Billiken basketball. In the past 20 years, if you look at points against we have finished in the top 25 in the country - 13 times. We have finished in the top 50 - 17 of those 20 years. The three years we did not finish in the top 50, we finished 66th ('00-'01) and 83rd ('06-'07) - then last year we finished 159th - almost twice as high as our worst points against in the past 20 years. While points against doesn't tell everything, it says a whole lot when your offense finishes in the bottom 6% of all of college basketball in points scored.

Adding Bartley back into the mix actually muddies the water even more. Marcus can be an offensive threat but his defense was not very good last year. Crews hasn't shown us he can identify a smaller rotation and to that, he really needs to find the best defensive players and make sure they are getting solid minutes.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Through 1, we're stinking up the joint trailing 11-10. Shooting under 25% from the floor and turnovers on a 38% of possessions. Travelling continues to be the refs' call de jour as we have about 4 called against us so far to none for the bad guys. Also, fouls are 8-2 against us.

Through 1, we're stinking up the joint trailing 11-10. Shooting under 25% from the floor and turnovers on a 38% of possessions. Travelling continues tIs tho be the refs' call de jour as we have about 4 called against us so far to none for the bad guys. Also, fouls are 8-2 against us.

Is there any chance that we just have an issue with traveling? Conceptually, it would seem like a call when made that would have a high probability of being the right call.

Is there any chance that we just have an issue with traveling? Conceptually, it would seem like a call when made that would have a high probability of being the right call.

Have to wait for the video. I swear maybe one of the travelling calls the other night was close to travelling. The rest of them were nonsense.

Have to wait for the video. I swear maybe one of the travelling calls the other night was close to travelling. The rest of them were nonsense.

Interesting. Typically I would think the issue would be more with refs missing traveling calls as opposed to calling traveling when there was no violation. So the video is good enough to where you can tell that a traveling call is the wrong call?

You can't stop Elliot Welmer, you can only hope to contain him. As for Jolly, my momma taught me if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

31-31 half as we got stung by a 9-0 run to end the half. I am not jolly about some of the players who are seeing court time.

Early observations: Our froncourt should be MY, MN, and EW with MC spelling MY and AG spelling the others. I know our backcourt guys are trying and DR has a strong desire to succeed but we need someone to get better in a hurry.

31-31 half as the we got stung by a 9-0 run to end the half. I am not jolly about some of the players who are seeing court time.

Based on the stats, it is surprising to see the lack of minutes for Ash and Crawford. I am not sure I can be sold on why not playing them significant minutes makes sense unless they are not 100% healthy.

Based on the stats, it is surprising to see the lack of minutes for Ash and Crawford. I am not sure I can be sold on why not playing them significant minutes makes sense unless they are not 100% healthy.

True, Crawford looked good Saturday. AY, I'm beginning to think is going to be a disappointment. Would hate to see it after the high hopes we all had for him.

BTW, Gillmann hasn't missed a shot on this trip so far. 4-4 from the field and 5-5 from the stripe. He's a complementary player at best though. If we're relying on him we're going to lose a bunch of games.

Im not reading much into the fact that Crawford and AY, or any other particular player is seeing more/less minutes. These are free bonus games the bills have. I really wouldn't doubt it if Crews uses these just to see what he has with different combos from the new players and with guys who developed over the summer.

The one stat I do love to see is the 2nd chance points. Billikens with 12 points, bad guys with ZERO! Seems like last year our biggest problem was allowing teams to score ridiculous amounts of 3s and 2nd chance points. So the fact that the defense isn't allowing any and only allowed 3-3 pointers. Cant be all bad.