OT: What's the best (family) place to eat in Dayton, OH

I've been to Dayton a few times. Best tourist (maybe only) attraction is the Air Force Museum. Went there 14 years ago when I toured UD.

Not as knowledgeable on restaurants, plus it depends on where you stay. Wright-Patterson is closer to north side of Dayton. A friend of mine lives in the south part of the area, so my knowledge of places skews more toward the south. I'll try to look around and make sure I have the names of places correct.

Finally taking the kiddos to see the Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson this weekend. If you were roadtripping to Dayton, what would be the place you wouldn't miss......

that's nice. does your family like fish?

thanks for putting this one on a fuc.king tee.

I've eaten at Roost in the Oregon District. Probably a little too upscale to be considered a 'family' place.

Mamma DiSalvo's is more casual but it's in Kettering; not really any closer or farther from the AFB than downtown. Good food.

I like Chappy's for bar food and beer. Casual and family-friendly. South of downtown a bit in Moraine.

I'm realizing that I know the drinking establishments in Dayton a lot better than the eating options, because that's about where I exhaust my first-hand knowledge. But yeah, the Oregon District overall is a great suggestion for walking around and picking the place that looks best. Lots of good bars and food.

I believe it is downtown, not likely to be family friendly, and it has no food--but a former Billiken athlete is a minority owner of Warped Wing Brewery in Dayton.

That's interesting.

I think it actually is family-friendly, but I can vouch for there being no food. Very cool place, and I like the beer.

At the beginning of 2012, Dayton had 0 breweries. It had 1 by the end of that year and it took a while for a second to open. Now the Dayton area has 13 breweries, one of which has 2 locations.

4 of them are within walking distance in the downtown/Oregon District area. Warped Wing is in a huge old warehouse and has a great industrial setting. Dayton Beer Co. opened a shiny new location downtown a few months ago, right across from Fifth Third Field, home of the Dayton Dragons. Toxic Brewing is just a few blocks south of WW, and then Fifth Street Brewpub is at the east end of the Oregon District.

Basically, what I'm saying is: hit Wright-Patt in the morning, catch lunch in the Oregon District, do a walking tour of the Dayton downtown/Oregon District breweries in the afternoon, and take in a Dragons game (7:00 vs. South Bend Cubs). If you still have some energy after the game, you're within walking distance of those same bars and breweries. Boom, full itinerary.

Basically, what I'm saying is: hit Wright-Patt in the morning, catch lunch in the Oregon District, do a walking tour of the Dayton downtown/Oregon District breweries in the afternoon, and take in a Dragons game (7:00 vs. South Bend Cubs). If you still have some energy after the game, you're within walking distance of those same bars and breweries. Boom, full itinerary.

Finish by emptying your bladder on UD Arena.

I looked up the places I'd been to around Dayton. As I mentioned in my earlier post, my buddy lives on the southern side of the Dayton area (20-25 minutes south of highway 70), so if you're staying closer to the A-F base, maybe not worth driving down that way. Anyway, these are around the Centerville and Miamisburg area.

Archers: family bar and grill. If you really got bored, the largest Kroger store in America is across the street.

Bullwinkles: BBQ place

I thought both were good. For breakfast, there is a local diner called The Golden Nugget, though I don't know where exactly that is.

Enjoy the Air Force Museum. It's really good.

It's at Dorothy Lane and Dixie in Kettering. We have friends who live a half mile from there; they say it's overrated. But then again, a lot of people seem to love it. I haven't been. Always thought it was a Chinese buffet.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. The Airforce Museum was awesome. It makes the Smithsonian, even with the new hanger in the 'burbs, look like a pimple. Get there early if you want to see the Presidential and R&D hanger which is actually on the base. The R&D aircraft are crammed into a hanger with no roped off areas. You aren't supposed to touch them but it's hard not to.

Went to Chappy's which wasn't bad and a little Mexican place not to far from the Oregon Dist. Taqueria Mixteca--hole in the wall, bathrooms outside, really good, authentic, spicy, stuff!

Didn't urinate on UD arena......the little woman would be pretty po'd if I got placed on a sex offended registry....

I expected to be blown away by the Air Force Museum and was. I was also pretty impressed by the Carillon Historical Park. I wasn't expecting much. They've managed to move a bunch of historic buildings from around Dayton there, and have one of the original Wright Flyers. A couple of the buildings are reproductions but over all it was amazing. The Carillon Brewery is also there and it's supposed to be brewing beer in some sort of traditional way. All the beer tastes pretty much the same, sour, and like it came out of the back of a horse.......