Changes in Branding for Athletics

this makes me wonder if this is somehow related to all the bad PR from the Ferguson flack last year -- i.e. going away from the STL brand due to the growing concerns nationally about STL as a crime-ridden, hood type environment.

I agree, it makes sense, it is very likely at least an unspoken secondary consideration.

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not logical moytoy, but a change in colors, font styles, avatar image, and "company" statement (ie. like in this is what we are or what we believe in) does help a lot. Companies stock price go up after a rebranding simply because people look at them in a different way, or should we say a more positive way. It does work, SLU may well benefit from this exercise (in terms of donations and recruitment for example).

I'm not sure I believe this

Sure you do motoy, once upon a time when you retired you went to a financial adviser for advise. Your money your decisions, they provided direction, and technical knowledge packaged into a comprehensive product sold to retirees with money. Yearly fees were (and still are) based upon the amount of money under the adviser's care. With time the advisers thought they would attract a bigger piece of the pie (and make more money in fees) by calling themselves money managers. Now from the point of view of the public, a money manager means "I have money and need a manager for it." More people went for this, same product, same techniques, same results, but greater amounts of money went under management, and higher overall fees were received by the professionals selling this product (because more people used their services). Lately they rebranded again calling themselves "wealth managers", and the public loves it. From the public point of view it is not just money they have, it is WEALTH and so much of it they need a manager for it. They preen themselves talking about their "wealth managers" in social events like the new name puts them into a higher and better category. However they are still receiving the same product, using the same techniques, and getting similar results, but people are happier and feel better about it. Because of this change in image the amounts of money under professional management grow and so do the overall fee these professionals receive.

What a wonderful world this is, a change of image produced by a simple change of words to describe what you do does creates increased revenue and increased client happiness.

I used this simple example to describe the complex chains of events that may and indeed do occur with successful rebranding of existing products and services. Why do you doubt this kind of success may be achieved by rebranding a University. Just look at it this way, VCU went to a much higher level in terms of public notice and recognition after they adopted the "HAVOC" label. As you know U Texas did an end run around VCU by obtaining the Federal copyright to the Havoc name (excepting Virginia where VCU has the state copyright for the name). Names and image are worth millions upon millions. Rebranding is a way to try to obtain this kind of public image changes. I do hope SLU is successful with its rebranding project.

Sure you do motoy, once upon a time when you retired you went to a financial adviser for advise. Your money your decisions, they provided direction, and technical knowledge packaged into a comprehensive product sold to retirees with money. Yearly fees were (and still are) based upon the amount of money under the adviser's care. With time the advisers thought they would attract a bigger piece of the pie (and make more money in fees) by calling themselves money managers. Now from the point of view of the public, a money manager means "I have money and need a manager for it." More people went for this, same product, same techniques, same results, but greater amounts of money went under management, and higher overall fees were received by the professionals selling this product (because more people used their services). Lately they rebranded again calling themselves "wealth managers", and the public loves it. From the public point of view it is not just money they have, it is WEALTH and so much of it they need a manager for it. They preen themselves talking about their "wealth managers" in social events like the new name puts them into a higher and better category. However they are still receiving the same product, using the same techniques, and getting similar results, but people are happier and feel better about it. Because of this change in image the amounts of money under professional management grow and so do the overall fee these professionals receive.

What a wonderful world this is, a change of image produced by a simple change of words to describe what you do does creates increased revenue and increased client happiness.

I used this simple example to describe the complex chains of events that may and indeed do occur with successful rebranding of existing products and services. Why do you doubt this kind of success may be achieved by rebranding a University. Just look at it this way, VCU went to a much higher level in terms of public notice and recognition after they adopted the "HAVOC" label. As you know U Texas did an end run around VCU by obtaining the Federal copyright to the Havoc name (excepting Virginia where VCU has the state copyright for the name). Names and image are worth millions upon millions. Rebranding is a way to try to obtain this kind of public image changes. I do hope SLU is successful with its rebranding project.

Sure you do MoyToy once upon a time a company from Atlanta GA did in house blind taste tests and a new formula was preferred to the old formula and "New Coke" was born. Totally nailed it.

My Hopes

Billikens on Home Jersey; Saint Louis on Road Jersey

Blue and White Uniforms, classic clean look

The Billiken doesn't look stupid

The Logo is clean and Simple too.

Sure you do MoyToy once upon a time a company from Atlanta GA did in house blind taste tests and a new formula was preferred to the old formula and "New Coke" was born. Totally nailed it.

My Hopes

Agreed, plus the Billiken is cleaner/simpler...not the full body turtleneck- wearing thing spinning the ball on his finger...just the face on the front of the shorts or something will do.

My Hopes

Here's what I can confirm:

There will be entirely new home and alternate jerseys, and the front will have "Billikens" written on it instead of "Saint Louis"

An artist was instructed to create three completely new and distinct designs for the Billiken logo and they will choose one. Apparently the 2nd and 3rd designs were very "badass" according to a friend. The 2nd was the best according to most of the people that attended the presentation, and it was a fierce looking design. Many are excited about the changes that will be made

I can confirm this. The 2nd and 3rd designs are as follows: 2nd and 3rd. (Sorry, the images are huge.)

Steve Edit: Warning to posters, some images may not be suitable for work

This particular example isn't quite how things work. The adviser / wealth managers and money managers are often different roles.

That being said, I agree with your overall point about branding.

ARon could you please explain the differences between the different roles advisors, money managers, and wealth managers play. I mean real differences not what comes out in the marketing brochures. Yes, they may provide other levels of services (CPAs, legal, etc...) but if these are services you probably have already. Also take off the fluff like concierge services that will get an anniversary present for your wife when you forget to do so and deliver it ASAP, or tickets to the superbowl in short notice (and greatly inflated prices). If you wish to pay for these you are not getting management of your money per se, you are getting personal recognition for your status or some similar marketing gobbledygook. How do these roles differ in the way they handle your money, that is the question (again taking the fluff our of the equation).

Pistol,

Thanks for leaking the highly classified drawings. Number 2 is definitely at the top of the list.

ARon could you please explain the differences between the different roles advisors, money managers, and wealth managers play. I mean real differences not what comes out in the marketing brochures. Yes, they may provide other levels of services (CPAs, legal, etc...) but if these are services you probably have already. Also take off the fluff like concierge services that will get an anniversary present for your wife when you forget to do so and deliver it ASAP, or tickets to the superbowl in short notice (and greatly inflated prices). If you wish to pay for these you are not getting management of your money per se, you are getting personal recognition for your status or some similar marketing gobbledygook. How do these roles differ in the way they handle your money, that is the question (again taking the fluff our of the equation).

If you have a fee-based relationship with your adviser they are most likely an intermediary between you and the actual money manager. So your adviser is not determining the buys and sells, but they are connecting you with the money managers who do. This is especially true with the large wirehouse firms.

If you have a fee-based relationship with your adviser they are most likely an intermediary between you and the actual money manager. So your adviser is not determining the buys and sells, but they are connecting you with the money managers who do. This is especially true with the large wirehouse firms.

Right.

For instance, Willie can serve as your financial advisor (in a relationship manager role) and use AlumniFan's firm to manage your investments for a percentage of assets under management.

And I will gladly accept a finder's fee for anyone who goes this route as a result of this post. :D

It sounds like I may be ok with many of the changes but I think the notion of "strengthening" a mascot is silly on so many levels. Beyond my aesthetic aversion; this is such a cliche--every team with RPI's over 200 and tons of D-III schools have been "strengthening" their mascots for twenty years. The result is an incredible loss of originality (the UMass mascot carried a frickin' gun and it was deemed not strong enough but now they have a meathead with broad shoulders so obviously "stronger"). All they seem to do is simplify the lines and add lots of black shadow to the "design". Rebranding without creativity.

Our current "brand" has won 3 national titles (other) (again), an Elite 8 and also has had a few sweet 16 appearances ; will our new brand do that? I hope so but I doubt it.