Changes in Branding for Athletics

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad that you are all so optimistic about "rebranding" efforts. I am not as I apparently have very different design aesthetics. I will patiently hope that it is not a nightmare. I would be upset if the Billiken is changed much (unless it changes to my avatar) and colors are changed (I do not not need a mauve and tangerine uniform; nor black or gray). Seriously, when the friend of the SID drew the "new smurfilicious Billiken" in the early 80's I nearly cried.

This isn't the same admin that ruined the Billiken in the 80s. I'll give them a shot at it.

We have two great templates. The crown billiken from the 70s or the old statue billiken logo like sluh has. Either could be updated and made cool. Or they may have another idea. Anything is better than what we have currently.

Cluster meaning that all the merchandise is different brands, different logo types (some are diaganol, some are straight, some just say Saint Louis University, some are pink, some are green, some have the Billiken, some don't.), and just generally a lot of variations. The bookstore is by far a bigger offender, but they also have the University trademarked stuff for sale which adds to it. The Chaifetz store is a great improvement, but the merchandise needs help.

-okay, I see your point, I don't care if there are different brands if that expands the products offered and I don't mind other colors, if people want to wear the Billiken or SLU I am in favor, mostly

Hopefully any rebranding of the university will include a concerted national push to define the school as 'SLU'. Sure, people around here (and the midwest) recognize SLU, but on the coasts people have no clue.

Hopefully any rebranding of the university will include a concerted national push to define the school as 'SLU'. Sure, people around here (and the midwest) recognize SLU, but on the coasts people have no clue.

Right, does everyone else just hate when the commentators refer to us as "Saint Louis" instead of "SLU"? I've never liked that title.

It's not like anyone refers to VCU as "Virginia Commonwealth"....

I agree with this. SLU is unique that there are plenty of "xU" type schools, but there isn't any other D1 program that can be SLU.

I agree with this. SLU is unique that there are plenty of "xU" type schools, but there isn't any other D1 program that can be SLU.

Southeastern Louisiana occasionally goes as SLU.

The Billiken logo needs to be modernized, strengthened. The "Grinch" look doesn't do it.

And the whole merchandise product line needs to contain a coordinated theme; lots of work to be done, I hope they are successful and we have a dynamic outcome.

St. Lawrence University is D-1 in hockey and alpine skiing, squash, equestrian . . . <_< . I see brownish SLU stickers on cars every once in a while

Yea I use to follow Bob McKenzie on twitter who works for TSN for NHL knowledge and he would tweet about SLU hockey which confused me at first wondering why a Canadian guy would care about our club team.

Rumor has it that Billie Lou is making a comeback.

You are joking right? That would be the only thing that they could that is worse than what we have.

I work at the rec center and got an email from our director. Apparently there are going to be some big changes by the AD in terms of branding, here's the email:

"I am writing with regard to an important opportunity for you to provide some valuable feedback to our friends in Athletics. SLU Athletics is currently in the process of rebranding their department as well as the Billiken (that's right the images that you are most familiar with are likely changing in the near future). They've gone through extensive research and design and have put together a few different options. We have scheduled a luncheon for this Friday, June 5th, from 1:00-1:45pm in Multipurpose Room 1 of the Simon Recreation Center. Athletics will be there to present each of the proposed options for a new Billiken logo as well as options for a new brand identity for Athletics. After the presentation, they will be collecting any and all feedback on each of the proposed options.

I am writing on behalf of Athletics to ask for you support and encourage you to be a part of this process. The luncheon is open to all SLU students, regardless of whether they work in Campus Recreation, so if you can make it, please bring a fellow classmate or two. We will be providing lunch (pizza and drinks) for those in attendance."

Faculty allowed to show up?

They hired an outside consulting firm nearly a year ago. That group has researched the school and the public to come up with their final recommendations. I'm seeing them next Wednesday evening. My understanding is that the final choices will be for the entire university, not just the Athletic Department (I definitely could be mistaken)

Uh Oh, if they hired high power outside consultants to rebrand the whole university, they will: 1. Conduct extensive research describing / justifying their recommendations. 2. The suggested the new branding items, logos, etc... The actual colors, typefaces, logo arrangements, and any changes suggested to the image of the Billiken may be anything at all, from minimally changed to radically changed. Some people will love the changes and others will hate them. We can anticipate extensive debate in the pros and cons or likes and dislikes resulting from the rebranding.