Changes in Branding for Athletics

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

Will be interesting to see which happens first--return to the NCAA tourney, or a fitted cap with the new logo being available for sale somewhere.

37 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

On a somewhat related note, it seems that the main website has been updated: http://www.slu.edu/

I know this seems small but what a gorgeous improvement. Let's hope we see a trickle down effect to athletics.

Thanks for posting (I seldom go to slu.edu, so I am not sure I would have seen this), looks really nice!

1 hour ago, hsmith19 said:

Will be interesting to see which happens first--return to the NCAA tourney, or a fitted cap with the new logo being available for sale somewhere.

If people want to see merchandise at stores / online with the new Billiken logo on it, they should contact the customer service departments of the various sports apparel providers and ask for it.  If the stores see a demand, they will stock the merchandise.  Complaining about it on a message board might raise awareness, but it is not going to accomplish much.

Oh, I'm not complaining. I'm used to it by now. Whenever the team does well on the court, the merch visibility generally improves, hence my original post. It'd be nice if we could get blue and white paraphernalia all over every department store after a 9-23 season, but that's just not the way it is if you're not a big state school, and I get that.

But you can't blame the stores or websites for the lack of fitted hats with the new logo right now because to my knowledge the product does not exist for them to carry. The closest I have seen is the stretch fit caps at the Chaifetz store, which unfortunately do not stretch enough to comfortably fit those of us who wear bigger than 7 1/2. I suppose I could try calling New Era and the Athletic Department and haranguing them, but somehow I don't think that would accomplish much either.

7 hours ago, prebilliken said:

On a somewhat related note, it seems that the main website has been updated: http://www.slu.edu/

I know this seems small but what a gorgeous improvement. Let's hope we see a trickle down effect to athletics.

It is image, an improvement in the image portrayed by SLU. Any improvements in image are a good thing. We are doing this well or reasonably well it seems.

• 4 weeks later...

So, speaking of the usual incompetence (as I just did in a season ticket upgrade thread): Sometime during the past week I got an email from the "Saint Louis Billikens Online Store." Guess which logo was at the top? (No, really, I suppose you don't have to guess.)

29 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

FYI they have some nice hats with the new logo at the on campus brick and mortar store. Some nice new dri fit polos too

Was in town two Saturday and Sundaxys ago. Stopped by both days. Closed. 

19 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

yeah their hours suck. Any time family comes in on a weekend its always closed!  Lost sales. Too bad the online store doesn't reflect the on campus store

Let me try to explain the bizarre marketing behavior you are seeing, this is seen not reasonably frequently in golf pro shops selling overpriced merchandise: When you have a store with an overstock of old merchandise which was overpriced to start with and did not move very fast, what does the manager do?: Pick one answer please.

a) Reduce the price of the old merchandise heavily to get rid of it at minimal profit and get the new merchandise into the shelves to sell at full price.

b ) Reduce the price of the old merchandise by 10% and announce a sale. The old merchandise will then remain clogging the shelf space until it is sold. 

c) Donate the old merchandise to a charity, take the loss for a good cause and good PR, and restock the shelves with the new merchandise to sell at full price .

The answer that is usually chosen by the managers that do not want to look like they got any losses in the store is b ). Conversely they may take a hybrid approach: they may try to sell the old stuff on line assuming that on line clients (not many anyways) are not up to date with branding changes, and get new stuff in the store. The Golf Pro shops in the clubs do this regularly, why not the SLU shop with SLU merchandise? The thing that makes this type of marketing particularly objectionable is that by the time a new logo is chosen they have already gotten enough profits out of the old merchandise to just clean the shelves at minimal off pocket cost. 

7 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Let me try to explain the bizarre marketing behavior you are seeing, this is seen not reasonably frequently in golf pro shops selling overpriced merchandise: When you have a store with an overstock of old merchandise which was overpriced to start with and did not move very fast, what does the manager do?: Pick one answer please.

a) Reduce the price of the old merchandise heavily to get rid of it at minimal profit and get the new merchandise into the shelves to sell at full price.

b ) Reduce the price of the old merchandise by 10% and announce a sale. The old merchandise will then remain clogging the shelf space until it is sold. 

c) Donate the old merchandise to a charity, take the loss for a good cause and good PR, and restock the shelves with the new merchandise to sell at full price .

The answer that is usually chosen by the managers that do not want to look like they got any losses in the store is b ). Conversely they may take a hybrid approach: they may try to sell the old stuff on line assuming that on line clients (not many anyways) are not up to date with branding changes, and get new stuff in the store. The Golf Pro shops in the clubs do this regularly, why not the SLU shop with SLU merchandise? The thing that makes this type of marketing particularly objectionable is that by the time a new logo is chosen they have already gotten enough profits out of the old merchandise to just clean the shelves at minimal off pocket cost. 

I get the reasoning but SLU is not a small time golf club with limited shelf space. It is a university with millions of graduates across the world. The online store should have the latest goods imho.

Bigmouth, you will find out in time that should is close to being a meaningless word in our culture. Size matters only when the top dog is looking, otherwise the minor cogs get lost in the crowd and no one really pays attention to what they are doing, that is unless something happens (like merchandise losses) that will bring unwanted attention from up above. Size does not equal excellence, not at all. Excellence takes work and failures along the way. Out there in the world lots of people spend their time in their cubbyholes hoping not to attract attention from above as their primary goal. Any alteration of the routine, like a new logo for the merchandise, is a problem that needs to be solved in a way that will attract the least amount of attention from above as possible. Med school is not a good place to learn stuff like this, you live in a fairly logical world where the human body has to work within certain parameters to maintain health, and diseases cause deviations from normal function which are, to some degree, diagnosable, predictable and correctable with therapy. You are not dealing with stuff like organizational inertia, not yet anyways, you will see the kinds and amount of inertia you will have to deal with when you get to be a Senior Resident in some medical training program. It gets worse in time, believe me there.

15 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Bigmouth, you will find out in time that should is close to being a meaningless word in our culture. Size matters only when the top dog is looking, otherwise the minor cogs get lost in the crowd and no one really pays attention to what they are doing, that is unless something happens (like merchandise losses) that will bring unwanted attention from up above. Size does not equal excellence, not at all. Excellence takes work and failures along the way. Out there in the world lots of people spend their time in their cubbyholes hoping not to attract attention from above as their primary goal. Any alteration of the routine, like a new logo for the merchandise, is a problem that needs to be solved in a way that will attract the least amount of attention from above as possible. Med school is not a good place to learn stuff like this, you live in a fairly logical world where the human body has to work within certain parameters to maintain health, and diseases cause deviations from normal function which are, to some degree, diagnosable, predictable and correctable with therapy. You are not dealing with stuff like organizational inertia, not yet anyways, you will see the kinds and amount of inertia you will have to deal with when you get to be a Senior Resident in some medical training program. It gets worse in time, believe me there.

Fair enough, oldguy. And to set the record straight I am not a medical student, but a Doctor of Physocal Therapy student. I apologize for any misrepresentation or false characterization I may have displayed. I can see where I may have misguided some posters and that was not my intent. But it is true I will be a doctor (albeit not a physician but more like a doctor of optometry or doctor of chiropractic) and I will be a colleague of any practicing health care practitioner.  But your point is still taken nevertheless.

My only point is if you decide to change your branding then you better be all in.  Unlike the example of the pro golf shop, SLU has complete control over whether they change their brand or not.  If you are SLU and you make this conscience choice you should have slowed the manufacturing of items with the old brand even to the point of not having any available.  You should also have started a campaign advertising the new brand that is coming and building a pent up buying situation.  Also, since you control the entire process you should be able to dictate the best time of the year for rolling the new branding out.  As far as what you have left - Old guy is right you should have been willing to simply write off what little is left for the long term gain and be satisfied with the profit made to date on the old stuff.  The problem to those on the outside is there never seems to be a plan to control all the related aspects.

Cheeseman, that is exactly the case. The broad plan is made and funded, and the details plus the people that are going to be handling the details are in the dark and just do not make the correct purchase decisions in time, then they have excess merchandise, etc... It happens in big places too, The Gap had a prior CEO who was great on the dream of clothing design and low on the need for carefully considering fabrics and fit (listen to their Q2 earnings presentation if you doubt this), they wound up with very large purchases of merchandise they do not want or need which they have been getting rid of gradually at a very low profit or outright loss, while they rebuild stocks of the new stuff. Size does not matter, The Gap is bigger in money flows than SLU is. Mistakes are made everywhere and things are not the way they should be.

A bunch of overthinking going on. Yeah, they need to sell off existing stock so as not to take a complete loss. But that's irrelevant to the point. No, there ain't no other possible freakin' explanation for having an electronic version of the old logo on top of an email from the official "Online Store" other than someone has no freakin' idea what they're doing. 

15 minutes ago, bonwich said:

A bunch of overthinking going on. Yeah, they need to sell off existing stock so as not to take a complete loss. But that's irrelevant to the point. No, there ain't no other possible freakin' explanation for having an electronic version of the old logo on top of an email from the official "Online Store" other than someone has no freakin' idea what they're doing. 

There are still producers putting out old logo