Changes in Branding for Athletics

The official media release has been updated

"Free Billiken Blizzard white T-shirts will be located on the seats in the lower bowl. Those with tickets in the 200 level can pick up their free T-shirt at one of several stations located around the concourse, while supplies last. Fans can also exhange T-shirts for different sizes at those stations. All fans are encouraged to WEAR WHITE."

"while supplies last" is the interesting part to me

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you sit in the upper bowl, you can pick up a shirt. I'll just go ahead and trust that SLU had this planned the whole time.

So is this actually stated anywhere and why wouldn't you just hand out shirts to everyone on the way in instead of this cumbersome process?

Don't expect many fans in the seats for the first 10 minutes of the first half. There are going to be massive lines of people trying to get and exchange shirts sizes in the concourse. What a cluster.

It screams panic/last minute scrambling to keep fans happy to me. Obviously they didn't get enough shirts for everyone. It's just not good to cheap out when they've turned off much of the fan-base as it is.

So did they run out of time to put the shirts on all the seats, or did they just not want to bother putting them on when the arena might be half empty anyway?

They started shirts yesterday and finished early this morning. When I helped with shirts, you could do the whole arena in about 3 hours if you lots of help. And the whole arena in about 6 hours if you just had 4 or 5 people. And since it's clear by their release that they don't have shirts for everyone, I'm guessing they didn't want to put shirts in the upper bowl considering they wouldn't have enough to fill all the seats

They've been giving out free blue t-shirts all over Midtown all season. I got two at Humphrey's and Field House and I know they gave them out to all the students who showed up at the reveal party and a couple of the games. If they really "ran out" or don't have enough white shirts, that's just plain bizarre.

They've been giving out free blue t-shirts all over Midtown all season. I got two at Humphrey's and Field House and I know they gave them out to all the students who showed up at the reveal party and a couple of the games. If they really "ran out" or don't have enough white shirts, that's just plain bizarre.

I could be totally wrong but it sounds like they won't have enough people in the seats to receive a shirt instead of being cheap and not giving out enough shirts. Why put out 10,600 white shirts when only 5,000 fans will show up tonight? Then how do they retrieve the extra 5,600 shirts while preventing waste and people taking handfuls of shirts. Down low, we season ticket holders somewhat look after the shirts of the fans we sit next to. I guess they figure most empty seats will upstairs so make them get their shirts elsewhere.

I could be totally wrong but it sounds like they won't have enough people in the seats to receive a shirt instead of being cheap and not giving out enough shirts. Why put out 10,600 white shirts when only 5,000 fans will show up tonight? Then how do they retrieve the extra 5,600 shirts while preventing waste and people taking handfuls of shirts. Down low, we season ticket holders somewhat look after the shirts of the fans we sit next to. I guess they figure most empty seats will upstairs so make them get their shirts elsewhere.

Let people have shirts that's the whole point. It's marketing.

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, Box and Won said:

For those of you who want gear with the old Billiken logo, Rally House on Brentwood has lots of it.  

They have a fair number of items with the new logo as well - I picked up a nice magnet for my beer fridge.

It's absurd how much gear seems to still be produced with the old logo. 

50 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It's absurd how much gear seems to still be produced with the old logo. 

A sign of an athletic department that has zero control of their licensing and brand standards. 

8 hours ago, Box and Won said:

For those of you who want gear with the old Billiken logo, Rally House on Brentwood has lots of it.  

They have a fair number of items with the new logo as well - I picked up a nice magnet for my beer fridge.

Have they reduced any of the prices for the old logo stuff? 

13 hours ago, FromDaEastSide said:

Have they reduced any of the prices for the old logo stuff? 

I don't think so.  Their stuff is pretty reasonably priced to begin with.  I'm not sure what their business model is, but I suspect they may purchase outdated items that other places couldn't sell.  For example, they had Martin Brodeur t-shirts and other random stuff.

14 hours ago, JMM28 said:

A sign of an athletic department that has zero control of their licensing and brand standards. 

Exactly. I've seen online that a few Big 10 schools have recently switched their apparel provider. Let's just say that at least from afar, those schools look much more organized that whatever is going on at SLU.