Changes in Branding for Athletics

I work at the rec center and got an email from our director. Apparently there are going to be some big changes by the AD in terms of branding, here's the email:

"I am writing with regard to an important opportunity for you to provide some valuable feedback to our friends in Athletics. SLU Athletics is currently in the process of rebranding their department as well as the Billiken (that's right the images that you are most familiar with are likely changing in the near future). They've gone through extensive research and design and have put together a few different options. We have scheduled a luncheon for this Friday, June 5th, from 1:00-1:45pm in Multipurpose Room 1 of the Simon Recreation Center. Athletics will be there to present each of the proposed options for a new Billiken logo as well as options for a new brand identity for Athletics. After the presentation, they will be collecting any and all feedback on each of the proposed options.

I am writing on behalf of Athletics to ask for you support and encourage you to be a part of this process. The luncheon is open to all SLU students, regardless of whether they work in Campus Recreation, so if you can make it, please bring a fellow classmate or two. We will be providing lunch (pizza and drinks) for those in attendance."

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea. I asked a few days ago if the athletic department had a universal apparel deal. This could be the first step towards that along with a Nike/Adidas/UA branded team store in the Fetz.

Although I don't know if you have to mess with the actual Billiken logo.

I bet Tatum is driving this

This has beem a long time coming. We are way behind the curve on this. Many are tired of seeing the same old script slu passed off as a logo.

This has beem a long time coming. We are way behind the curve on this. Many are tired of seeing the same old script slu passed off as a logo.

Seems pretty timely to introduce a rebrand when there could potentially be a lot of attention on our athletics.....

I am glad that you are all so optimistic about "rebranding" efforts. I am not as I apparently have very different design aesthetics. I will patiently hope that it is not a nightmare. I would be upset if the Billiken is changed much (unless it changes to my avatar) and colors are changed (I do not not need a mauve and tangerine uniform; nor black or gray). Seriously, when the friend of the SID drew the "new smurfilicious Billiken" in the early 80's I nearly cried.

I am glad that you are all so optimistic about "rebranding" efforts. I am not as I apparently have very different design aesthetics. I will patiently hope that it is not a nightmare. I would be upset if the Billiken is changed much (unless it changes to my avatar) and colors are changed (I do not not need a mauve and tangerine uniform; nor black or gray). Seriously, when the friend of the SID drew the "new smurfilicious Billiken" in the early 80's I nearly cried.

+1 million

I don't know if I am optimistic that a Chris May led effort will be successful. I just think it is time to get everything under one umbrella and have consistent imagery of the athletic department. I think the Billiken itself is perfectly fine, but the SLU italicized font is pretty basic and not really used consistently. Anyone that has been to the team store or bookstore knows that the merchandise situation is a cluster.

I don't know if I am optimistic that a Chris May led effort will be successful. I just think it is time to get everything under one umbrella and have consistent imagery of the athletic department. I think the Billiken itself is perfectly fine, but the SLU italicized font is pretty basic and not really used consistently. Anyone that has been to the team store or bookstore knows that the merchandise situation is a cluster.

-not sure I follow you on what the cluster is, my recollection of the store in Chaifetz is that the Billiken is portrayed as the same 'head' or same full body, what is the cluster?

-if I were king it would take a mass effort for me not to rule that the Billiken would be on everything and I mean everything, perhaps that is part of this upcoming effort

-I was at a party a couple of weeks ago and someone had a bought a new SLU cap and made sure to show me, it was nice, but it didn't have the Billiken on it

A more contemporary version of the old school Billiken logo (the one with the crown) could be pretty sweet.

Hopefully Dwayne's World will report back on the various options.

Unforunately I'm not sure if I'll be able to attend the luncheon but I'll try to find out what was presented

I sincerely hope that SLU hired an outside designer like Under Armor or Nike. I would buy a ton of stuff if a design firm stepped up and created some type of Billiken logo that rivals those at Arizona St, Maryland, etc.

Right now I feel like SLU manufactured a million pieces of clothing in 1983 and now they are just slowly working off the inventory...

I sincerely hope that SLU hired an outside designer like Under Armor or Nike. I would buy a ton of stuff if a design firm stepped up and created some type of Billiken logo that rivals those at Arizona St, Maryland, etc.

Right now I feel like SLU manufactured a million pieces of clothing in 1983 and now they are just slowly working off the inventory...

They hired an outside consulting firm nearly a year ago. That group has researched the school and the public to come up with their final recommendations. I'm seeing them next Wednesday evening. My understanding is that the final choices will be for the entire university, not just the Athletic Department (I definitely could be mistaken)

-not sure I follow you on what the cluster is, my recollection of the store in Chaifetz is that the Billiken is portrayed as the same 'head' or same full body, what is the cluster?

-if I were king it would take a mass effort for me not to rule that the Billiken would be on everything and I mean everything, perhaps that is part of this upcoming effort

-I was at a party a couple of weeks ago and someone had a bought a new SLU cap and made sure to show me, it was nice, but it didn't have the Billiken on it

Cluster meaning that all the merchandise is different brands, different logo types (some are diaganol, some are straight, some just say Saint Louis University, some are pink, some are green, some have the Billiken, some don't.), and just generally a lot of variations. The bookstore is by far a bigger offender, but they also have the University trademarked stuff for sale which adds to it. The Chaifetz store is a great improvement, but the merchandise needs help.