Shaka gone?

wgstl

Sources: #Texas hoping to finalize terms with #VCU's Shaka Smart as the #Longhorns' next basketball coach ($).

Per @ChipBrownHD - who crushes it with Texas news: Longhorns hoping to finalize terms with #VCU coach Shaka Smart.. Would be major get!

"If Shaka Smart ever leaves VCU, it’ll be for a job like Texas."

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird phrasing. Haven't they been "hoping to finalize" since they first talked to him?

Shakas whole "possible coaching jobs" have been weird. Between Illinois, UCLA, MU, and now UT, has all seemed like a done deal at one point or another. Hopefully he goes.

VCU's rise began before Shaka and, like Butler, they've proven they can identify superior young coaching talent. If Smart does leave I wouldn't count on it be much more than a 1-2 year hiccup for them.

VCU's rise began before Shaka and, like Butler, they've proven they can identify superior young coaching talent. If Smart does leave I wouldn't count on it be much more than a 1-2 year hiccup for them.

Butler was pretty bad two years ago, and this year they over-achieved by a lot (according to my butler friends). Butler has more history but I agree it wont competently knock them down.

Ram board has been dealing with this for sometime it's the "curse" of being successful with a good coach but not at the top level.

The Marshall talk has died down and there is some mention of Avery Johnson but not too man leaks. Supposedly new UT AD is very close hold and referred as an insider circle of 1. No one knows.

VCU has Shaka and that is it. Has anyone actually been on that campus?...gross....

It will be a dropoff similar to when Jim Lauranaga (sp) left George Mason.

In the six seasons before Shaka became coach they went to the NCAA Tournament 3 times, the NIT 2 and won 20 games 4 times.

in 3 A10 seasons, Smart has won zero regular season titles, zero conference tournament titles, and only won a single NCAA tournament game.

I read somewhere the stats behind full court press in the past 10 years, both Shaka and Mike Anderson have great home record but cant get it done on the road or in march .

in 3 A10 seasons, Smart has won zero regular season titles, zero conference tournament titles, and only won a single NCAA tournament game.

I believe they won the tournament this season, but nothing reg season.

How would a program like Texas handle "gimmick." I don't see top recruits wanting to play that style.

How would a program like Texas handle "gimmick." I don't see top recruits wanting to play that style.

I would imagine you could find fairly quality recruits who want to play that style and go to Texas. It seems like a style of play a lot of high level recruits would be interested in playing and would be a system they could excel in.

They won the conf tourney this season.

Ha. I blacked out after SLU lost wednesday, was out of town THU-SUN night and didn't pay any attention until the selection show...and Sports-Reference hasn't credited Shaka with the tournament win yet. http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/shaka-smart-1.html

So in my mind, it never happened....

My point is that he's always favored to win the A10 Regular season and he never does. He's good at making the dance but hasn't been able to advance as of late.

I know he ran into injuries this year, but his system is easy to crack if you have the ballhandlers to break the press.