Shaka gone?

wgstl

Ha. I blacked out after SLU lost wednesday, was out of town THU-SUN night and didn't pay any attention until the selection show...and Sports-Reference hasn't credited Shaka with the tournament win yet. http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/shaka-smart-1.html

So in my mind, it never happened....

My point is that he's always favored to win the A10 Regular season and he never does. He's good at making the dance but hasn't been able to advance as of late.

I know he ran into injuries this year, but his system is easy to crack if you have the ballhandlers to break the press.

It's really hard to get to a Final 4 and it's really really hard to get to a Final 4 with VCU.

He's done it, I don't care for the antics and the circus. However, if he's your guy and he's winning you love it. Swagger

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If indeed Shaka leaves VCU for Texas it will be interesting to see what direction VCU takes in hiring a new coach. If they promote from within it's likely Havoc will continue, but if they go with someone from outside the program I wonder if that style will survive. I could be wrong, but I don't remember Capel or Grant using Havoc.

hornsdigest.com (the scout site) says they are close to a deal citing 2 un-named sources. So take that for what it's worth.

hornsdigest.com (the scout site) says they are close to a deal citing 2 un-named sources. So take that for what it's worth.

Its some fun over on the A-10 board. The guy posting from HornsDigest.com (Scout) @ChipBrownHD has a great history of breaking stories

http://www.basketballforum.com/atlantic-10-conference/597266-texas-talking-shaka-10.html

Stated that Texas A&M was not going to the SEC in the spring of 2012, Notre Dame was moving its Olympic sports to the Big12 and Pittsburgh was going to A&M's replacement in the Big12

Its some fun over on the A-10 board. The guy posting from HornsDigest.com (Scout) @ChipBrownHD has a great history of breaking stories

http://www.basketballforum.com/atlantic-10-conference/597266-texas-talking-shaka-10.html

Stated that Texas A&M was not going to the SEC in the spring of 2012, Notre Dame was moving its Olympic sports to the Big12 and Pittsburgh was going to A&M's replacement in the Big12

And that Nebraska was staying in the Big 12.

I would imagine you could find fairly quality recruits who want to play that style and go to Texas. It seems like a style of play a lot of high level recruits would be interested in playing and would be a system they could excel in.

Especially the high school players in Texas. I can't remember the name of the school but, there is one high school team in Texas that used to be known for averaging over 100 points a game and they pressed all over the court.

If indeed Shaka leaves VCU for Texas it will be interesting to see what direction VCU takes in hiring a new coach. If they promote from within it's likely Havoc will continue, but if they go with someone from outside the program I wonder if that style will survive. I could be wrong, but I don't remember Capel or Grant using Havoc.

They are going to hire J. Crews.

That April's Fools joke was so annoying I'm not going to visit that site anymore. They had two such stories. Plus the site was scant on information anyway.

Especially the high school players in Texas. I can't remember the name of the school but, there is one high school team in Texas that used to be known for averaging over 100 points a game and they pressed all over the court.

Yates HS out of Houston is probably the one you're thinking of. They just ran over teams.

Pretty great clause in Smart's current deal:

Smarts contract also states that any new school would have to play VCU in a home-and-home series. The new school can get out of that provision for $250,000, according to the Richmond paper

I believe they had that clause in Capel and Grant's contracts as well.

Pretty great clause in Smart's current deal:

Smarts contract also states that any new school would have to play VCU in a home-and-home series. The new school can get out of that provision for $250,000, according to the Richmond paper

-nice idea, VCU had to know that if Shaka was to leave it would be to a school that could pay more than that but perhaps they did not want to push the issue too far