OT: Steve Lanvin out at St. Johns

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Somewhat OT but the SEC is a coaching juggernaut. Calipari, Donavan, Pearl, Howland, Fox, Jones, Kennedy, Martin, Mike Anderson, & another Kennedy. All proven winners, most proven cheaters as well. Tennessee and Bama will both make good hires, maybe not as high profile as they like but they will be upper tier. Guess who doesn't belong?

I still don't see Texas as a top tier job. Sure they have money but kids aren't clamoring to play in Austin and football will always be king there. I think their program is about as good as it ever will be.

Texas is a top 20 job if not a top 10.

I made a list. I may be off but I don't see it. My criteria, all coaches are equal, what school has the most other advantages at their disposal and actually utilizes them.

Top Basketball Programs

1. Kentucky

2. Duke

3. Kansas

4. Louisville

5. North Carolina

6. Arizona

7. Michigan St

8. UConn

9. Florida

10. Syracuse

11. Wisconsin

12. Ohio St

13. UCLA

14. Indiana

15. Michigan

16. Gonzaga

17. Villanova

18. Georgetown

19. Xavier

20. Oklahoma

21. Butler

22. Notre Dame

23. Virginia

24. LSU

25. VCU

26. Iowa St

27. Texas

28. West Virginia

29. Wichita St

30. Pitt

31. Oklahoma St

32. Iowa

33. Wichita St

34. Oregon

35. Baylor

36. Memphis

37. San Diego St

38. Maryland

39. Illinois

40. New Mexico

Texas' all time record against my top ten is 24-57. Certainly a sleeping giant, but one that has never woken up.

I made a list. I may be off but I don't see it. My criteria, all coaches are equal, what school has the most other advantages at their disposal and actually utilizes them.

Top Basketball Programs

1. Kentucky

2. Duke

3. Kansas

4. Louisville

5. North Carolina

6. Arizona

7. Michigan St

8. UConn

9. Florida

10. Syracuse

11. Wisconsin

12. Ohio St

13. UCLA

14. Indiana

15. Michigan

16. Gonzaga

17. Villanova

18. Georgetown

19. Xavier

20. Oklahoma

21. Butler

22. Notre Dame

23. Virginia

24. LSU

25. VCU

26. Iowa St

27. Texas

28. West Virginia

29. Wichita St

30. Pitt

31. Oklahoma St

32. Iowa

33. Wichita St

34. Oregon

35. Baylor

36. Memphis

37. San Diego St

38. Maryland

39. Illinois

40. New Mexico

Texas' all time record against my top ten is 24-57. Certainly a sleeping giant, but one that has never woken up.

I agree with your premise that Texas is not a top 10 or maybe top 20 job. However, it is a better job than Villanova, Gonzaga, Xavier, Butler, LSU, VCU, and Ioway State. These are programs with recent success that may not continue through a coaching change. Whether we like it or not, Texas is a big dog amongst athletic programs. They can pay their coaches more. They can pay their athletes more. A coach who gets the job at Texas and starts to build some success can count on being financially set for a very long time without worries about whether he will be able to always get kids to come to his school in the same way that the coaches at the schools I mentioned above always have to be. It's just easier at Texas because of the power that school carries. Based upon my opinion, I guess I would say that Texas is right around a top 20 job.

Texas is perceived to be an elite college basketball head coaching position in part because of the in-state talent. For example, Texas A&M has on paper one of the best handful of recruiting classes nationally next year. All four players are from Texas. There are over a hundred d-1 players coming out of there. The perception includes a school willingness to commit to the resources to win. it's not so much as how does the current are recent program there rank with others as much as the opportunity of what it can be. And Texas will draw some high profile coaching candidates.

Brian Wardle had been at Green Bay nine years and it was a good time for a change. Bradley has a new highly regarded AD Chris Reynolds, which factored into the situation. Wardle is also from suburban Chicago. He will be making a lot more money in a new more favorable work environment.

Moser unfairly gets negatively defined at times from this message board bases on a handful of games. He was a big factor in SLU's recent success. And he is trying to do the difficult task of having success at Loyola-Chicago. If he can do that in the next few years, he would likely either stay or jump over/past SLU in terms of opportunities. Unlike the Wardle situation it doesn't make much sense for Moser to have success and then go back to SLU.

Yeah SLU never hired away a MVC coach before. Oh wait.

SLU and the A10 is a step up from most MVC Schools and that includes Loyola Chi.

Yeah SLU never hired away a MVC coach before. Oh wait.

SLU and the A10 is a step up from most MVC Schools and that includes Loyola Chi.

SLU is a step up from Loyola Chicago but it doesn't mean Moser would be interested in the job if...if...Moser had some success and the opportunity came up down the road. Moser is from suburban Chicago. If he has some success, he can stay there and enjoy it until other opportunities will come his way besides SLU.

St. John's has offered Chris Mullin the head coach job and he's expected to accept. Mullin led the school to the Final Four 30 years ago. (I can't believe how long ago that was!)

Zero experience as a coach. This is a leap of faith. Today's recruits have no memory of Mullin's college or pro career. Think of this as if Cheaney had jumped from a corporate job to a head coach job. This hire is maybe a step better than DePaul bringing back Leitao. That is a shocker. No one wants that job? Likely DePaul got him for a bargin basement price.

Zero experience as a coach. This is a leap of faith. Today's recruits have no memory of Mullin's college or pro career. Think of this as if Cheaney had jumped from a corporate job to a head coach job. This hire is maybe a step better than DePaul bringing back Leitao. That is a shocker. No one wants that job? Likely DePaul got him for a bargin basement price.Wonder

Wonder if Leitao going to bring back Drew Deiner as an assistant.

SLU is a step up from Loyola Chicago but it doesn't mean Moser would be interested in the job if...if...Moser had some success and the opportunity came up down the road. Moser is from suburban Chicago. If he has some success, he can stay there and enjoy it until other opportunities will come his way besides SLU.

Hypothetically he has multiple successful seasons and could be offered many jobs but during this time SLU has it's own hypothetical great seasons and is now even more attractive.

Your premise is just a thinly veiled attempt to knock SLU which is what you normally do here. For the new posters Courtside is a tool of the highest order. Just FYI.

Wonder if Leitao going to bring back Drew Deiner as an assistant.

Diener made the sweet sixteen this season with Cardinal Strich. He won a natl title in 12-13. His dad is still his top asst.

Looks like Rick Barnes to Tennessee is pretty much a done deal.

Interesting.......

Pure Speculation to follow

It was reported that Barnes was told "make staff changes or be fired" by the AD. He said no and there was a mutual parting of ways. Well in the resignation press conference he was asked if he'd get back into coaching and answered something to the effect, "sooner than you think". So was he principled protecting his staff or back door dealing with the other UT? Either way he gets to keep his staff and he comes off as being a principled Coach and lands in a decent job and doesn't even need to change his business card Rick Barnes UT Head Coach just the orange is a lil' different.

I'm thinking Marshall to Texas. Some reports yesterday he's interested but who knows. That would be a dynamite hire and make everyone on the 40 acres happy.

Top Basketball Programs

1. Kentucky

2. Duke

3. Kansas

4. Louisville

5. North Carolina

6. Arizona

7. Michigan St

8. UConn

9. Florida

10. Syracuse

11. Wisconsin

12. Ohio St

13. UCLA

14. Indiana

15. Michigan

16. Gonzaga

17. Villanova

18. Georgetown

19. Xavier

20. Oklahoma

21. Butler

22. Notre Dame

23. Virginia

24. LSU

25. VCU

26. Iowa St

27. Texas

28. West Virginia

29. Wichita St

30. Pitt

31. Oklahoma St

32. Iowa

33. Wichita St

34. Oregon

35. Baylor

36. Memphis

37. San Diego St

38. Maryland

39. Illinois

40. New Mexico

If you are just going by records ... you're right. However, if you are a coach ... plenty of money, great facilities and the ability to keep them top notch, the ability to recruit and get any player you want, and much less pressure than most of the other top schools. I think you're line about sleeping giant that never woke up is right on target. If they want Marshall I'll be shocked if they don't get him. There are some at UT that want Shaka ... but I just don't see that as a fit.

I agree with your premise that Texas is not a top 10 or maybe top 20 job. However, it is a better job than Villanova, Gonzaga, Xavier, Butler, LSU, VCU, and Ioway State. These are programs with recent success that may not continue through a coaching change. Whether we like it or not, Texas is a big dog amongst athletic programs. They can pay their coaches more. They can pay their athletes more. A coach who gets the job at Texas and starts to build some success can count on being financially set for a very long time without worries about whether he will be able to always get kids to come to his school in the same way that the coaches at the schools I mentioned above always have to be. It's just easier at Texas because of the power that school carries. Based upon my opinion, I guess I would say that Texas is right around a top 20 job.

But the right coach makes it top 10 easy. I agree with those saying it isn't top 10 in terms of results ... but everything is in place for the right coach to make it a legitimate final 4 contender year in and year out.