Transfers, Forced or Voluntary?

Totally off-season so let's do what MBMs do best, wild speculation. We have 2 transfers TL and AM. Those 2 are probably the 2 players many would've picked to transfer. Previously it was widely accepted that Coach Rick Majerus would "have a talk" with players he wanted to transfer. So now we have Coach J-Crews. Is he having this talk too? Or are these players leaving of their own accord?

Related areas of discussion:

Do you ask players to transfer without a solid replacement plan?

Is it ethical to ask a player to leave?

(For Bonwich) What's the best restaurant for a coach to deliver this news?

What's easier for the rest of the team to handle, asking a player to leave or voluntarily transferring?

It varies based on every individual situation. Some players are encouraged to transfer. Some players unexpectedly transfer. In some cases it is a mutual thing. This can also be applied to a player that turns professional early. Some do it unexpectedly and some have the support and encouragement of the coach.

(For Bonwich) What's the best restaurant for a coach to deliver this news?

Off the top of my head, I'd say Scottish Arms -- take the kid over there under the guise of teaching him about good Scotch and have him pound five or six wee drams to anesthetize him. Then afterwards you're still within walking distance of campus.

Off the top of my head, I'd say Scottish Arms -- take the kid over there under the guise of teaching him about good Scotch and have him pound five or six wee drams to anesthetize him. Then afterwards you're still within walking distance of campus.

-that or Pomodoro

Just a perspective many non-student athletes transfer, some lose their scholarships because the did not hit the appropriate GPA threshold. Young adulthood where actions have consequences can suck at times.

I suspect Crews had the talk, Austin their are four guards ahead of you and one even that is about to overtake you. I will not be playing 12 players next year. You have an opportunity to graduate and transfer to a school where you can play.

Tanner, this is not how I had hoped it would turn out, I wish you had worked harder in the summer, but now you have Milik, Reggie Austin G, Bret Jolly and his Brother Brent all ahead of you...next year we have two bigs coming in too....if I were you I would look and see if there is a school closer to home like USD, or UCD....

Bonwich, giving an underage kid pound 5 or 6 wee drams to anesthetize him might not be a good idea. Certainly not one the restaurant would be happy doing without going through carding, etc... I think the best policy is just to take them into the office, telling them straight and let them go to provide their own anesthetic agents if they need any. Somehow I do not think either TL or AM needed any anesthesia to deal with this issue.

Bonwich, giving an underage kid pound 5 or 6 wee drams to anesthetize him might not be a good idea. Certainly not one the restaurant would be happy doing without going through carding, etc... I think the best policy is just to take them into the office, telling them straight and let them go to provide their own anesthetic agents if they need any. Somehow I do not think either TL or AM needed any anesthesia to deal with this issue.

Totally agree old guy. Have you considered the legal ramifications of such a policy bonwich? This situation is definitely better when handled where everyone is sober.

The last mass transfer we had was probably all directed by RM. If I recall correctly, McGuire, Knollmeyer, Mitchell (not Kwamain), and Relphord were told they didn't fit into RMs future plans. I did hear Relphord was told he could stay if he agreed to change his position. He refused and went on to have a pretty good career at CO. This was probably more mutual and decided some time ago, else wise why did we offer Williams?

I don't know why everyone thinks BJ is leaving. He got minutes and knows he will next year as well, unless Neufeld is a beast.

The last mass transfer we had was probably all directed by RM. If I recall correctly, McGuire, Knollmeyer, Mitchell (not Kwamain), and Relphord were told they didn't fit into RMs future plans. I did hear Relphord was told he could stay if he agreed to change his position. He refused and went on to have a pretty good career at CO. This was probably more mutual and decided some time ago, else wise why did we offer Williams?

I don't know why everyone thinks BJ is leaving. He got minutes and knows he will next year as well, unless Neufeld is a beast.

neufeld will 110% be better than brent jolly the second he steps on the court. i have no doubt about this. at all.

Totally agree old guy. Have you considered the legal ramifications of such a policy bonwich? This situation is definitely better when handled where everyone is sober.

I see sarcasm-appreciation on this board is about as good as our 2014-5 record. Good thing I didn't go with the Jamaican-restaurant joke I was originally going to try. B)

Relphorde was not told he did not fit the system. He was told he could stay but he could not play guard so he chose to transfer to CO.

Is Old Guy for real or is he just with us? I can never figure it out.

Crews should have taken his jersey right there.

Yeah, because he's the only one who missed a layup this season.

The missed layup was the Billikens' calling card this season and everyone was a dedicated contributor!!!

Jolly is from Southlake TX we have real BBQ down here. Feeding him Pappy's might push him to transfer.

Pappy's does NOT have the BEST barbecue in St. Louis. But there are places here where he can go that will cause him to stay here.

Now wait a minute. You cannot take a shot at Pappy's and not tell us what's better.

Ol' Henry's and Sugarfire. Pappy's is too spicy for me, but it is good, just not as good as Ol' Henry's or Sugarfire, imo.