Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, For-DaLove said:

The Nike camp this week on campus is likely the explanation for most of these offers

Exactly. I had forgotten that that camp is still held on campus.

Sounds like Ford is trying to use the fact that SLU hosts this camp to his advantage. He has these kids already coming to the campus for the camp, might as well get talking to them.

15 hours ago, For-DaLove said:

The Nike camp this week on campus is likely the explanation for most of these offers

It's great that we are getting all these offers out there and kids are taking the time to speak with the coach during their previously scheduled visits to Saint Louis but these are all long-shots at best. When kids start making trips on campus that require a unique trip, then they are serious prospects.

29 minutes ago, kshoe said:

It's great that we are getting all these offers out there and kids are taking the time to speak with the coach during their previously scheduled visits to Saint Louis but these are all long-shots at best. When kids start making trips on campus that require a unique trip, then they are serious prospects.

Crews isn't our coach anymore. You need to retrain your brain. 

11 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

Crews isn't our coach anymore. You need to retrain your brain. 

That remains to be seen. When you are talking about top 25 players with no ties to St. Louis, I think those players can be classified as extreme long shots (more like 0% chance of landing) and I am assuming Ford understands that. I was questioning why he was wasting his time with a player like that, but when someone posted that there was a Nike camp on campus (which Pistol and I used to work at back in the day) it makes more sense. Ford is off to a good start with the transfers he has landed, so we will see how things go with the high school kids.

Bazley draws comparisons to Durant, who he modeled his game after, but he kind of reminds me of Tatum. He's 6-8 but played mostly PG for his HS team and led them in scoring, assists, and rebounding. He plays more of a wing for his King James AAU team (where he racks up every stat imaginable; he blocked 8 shots in a game recently). So he'll be classified as a SF, even if he's a multi-position player. ESPN recently updated 2018 rankings; Bazley is 38th in the nation and #1 in the state of Ohio. Tons and tons of potential. Finneytown HS is about 10 minutes from my house, by the way; if SLU stays in the picture, I could GOSEETHEKIDPLAY.

Ahrens plays AAU ball with Bazley. He's #132 in the most recent Scout 2018 rankings. His older brother plays at Michigan State. The younger Ahrens draws a lot of comparisons to Duke's Luke Kennard, another kid from small-town western Ohio.

Jemison is a 6-9 and growing PF from Alabama. Auburn is thought to have the inside track; they just offered this spring and he has family connections there (mom's alma mater, etc.). The whole SEC is keeping track of him. He averaged 9.3 and 9.5 as a sophomore on a state-winning team.

Justin Ahrens: SG-SF, 6-5, 186, Versailles, OH (Versailles)Offers: SLU, Stony Brook. Interest: Dayton, Xavier, Butler, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, Cincinnati, Ohio, Oakland. Latest News: Ahrens picked up a SLU offer while on his unofficial visit there. Scouting Report: Ahrens has a broad skill set as a wing, with the ability to hit three-pointers consistently, good court vision, and lock-down defense. He can score at the rim or from mid-range and has improved his ball-handling and dribbling. His older brother Kyle plays at Michigan State. Twitter: @ahrensjustin12

Darius Bazley: SF, 6-8, 195, Cincinnati, OH (Finneytown)Offers: SLU, Florida, Toledo. Interest: Dayton, Xavier, Butler, Ohio State, Purdue, Penn State, Michigan, West Virginia, Cincinnati. Latest News: Bazley picked up a SLU offer while on his unofficial visit there. Scouting Report: Bazley is 6-7 and long, but plays a lot of PG for his high school team. He led his team in scoring, rebounding, and assists as a sophomore. Bazley is young for his class. Twitter: @BazleyDarius

Trey Jemison: PF, 6-8, 195, Birmingham, AL (Homewood)Offers: SLU, Auburn, UAB, Samford. Interest: Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, South Alabama. Latest News: Jemison picked up an offer from SLU during his unofficial visit there. Scouting Report: Jemison averaged 9.3 and 9.5 as a sophomore on Homewood’s first state championship team. He’s a very hard worker, dedicated to growing his frame during the offseason. A long 6-9, he wears a size 17 already and is thought to still have a few inches of growth to go. Twitter: @TallT_23

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

One goal of these offers to really top level recruits could be to put pressure on some of the less heralded recruits to commit early. 

Yup. Long gone are the days of only offering for the same number of slots that we had open. It's a failed policy (Soderberg did it a lot and Crews some) that leads to kids never feeling any pressure to commit early. They drag us along and when a better offer eventually comes, they take it. 

8 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-am I not remembering correctly but I don't recall us using the Nike event to this extent previously, perhaps we have been all along and social media explains more notice now 

It happened some in the past but the new staff is being much more aggressive with it

17 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-am I not remembering correctly but I don't recall us using the Nike event to this extent previously, perhaps we have been all along and social media explains more notice now 

SLU has hosted various Nike camps since I was a student manager back in the early 2000s. I worked a few years at the camps, the Hoop Jamboree for a few summers and another Nike camp one of the summer's as well. The Hoop Jamboree was like an All American camp for some of the younger classes. Back then I thought I remember there being a lot of restrictions on the coaching staff, but you are correct that the program did not use the event to this extent. I thought the rule was that college coaches were not allowed at the event except for maybe some very limited periods of time or a coach had a relative playing in the event. I just don't remember how much of our lack of activity was due to restrictions put on them and whether those rules are the same vs. what they could have been doing. Regardless, it is good to see Ford taking advantage of having these kids on campus.

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

SLU has hosted various Nike camps since I was a student manager back in the early 2000s. I worked a few years at the camps, the Hoop Jamboree for a few summers and another Nike camp one of the summer's as well. The Hoop Jamboree was like an All American camp for some of the younger classes. Back then I thought I remember there being a lot of restrictions on the coaching staff, but you are correct that the program did not use the event to this extent. I thought the rule was that college coaches were not allowed at the event except for maybe some very limited periods of time or a coach had a relative playing in the event. I just don't remember how much of our lack of activity was due to restrictions put on them and whether those rules are the same vs. what they could have been doing. Regardless, it is good to see Ford taking advantage of having these kids on campus.

I suspect Ford still isn't allowed to attend the actual event but through connections and otherwise is able to get the kids to come in a day early, spend some time with the coaches, etc. Its there that the scholarship offer is extended. Crews and maybe Majerus before him didn't see a lot of value in playing that game and thus didn't bother with it. Given Majerus was really looking for under the radar guys and Crews had no shot at top 100 kids, it may have made sense for them to do other things. Honestly, I doubt Ford will have much success with it, but you never know.

12 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I suspect Ford still isn't allowed to attend the actual event but through connections and otherwise is able to get the kids to come in a day early, spend some time with the coaches, etc. Its there that the scholarship offer is extended. Crews and maybe Majerus before him didn't see a lot of value in playing that game and thus didn't bother with it. Given Majerus was really looking for under the radar guys and Crews had no shot at top 100 kids, it may have made sense for them to do other things. Honestly, I doubt Ford will have much success with it, but you never know.

It doesn't hurt at all. What if that 5 and 4 star kid who is a sophomore in high school sees his stock drop and is a high level 3 star by the time he is a senior? Maybe then, we have a shot. But the real benefit is just getting our name out there on social media having a five star kid with his arm around Ford.  TF probably won't get that 5-star or even high level 4-star, but what if the kid's 3-star AAU friends (more realistic targets) see it. It just creates awareness when Ford contacts those kids. If these high level kids are coming to you, why not make a big deal of it and offer them.

3 minutes ago, slusam said:

Eric Bossi- "At this point we should be tweeting St Louis offered the entire Nike Elite 100 roster"

Ford is going to keep Pistol busy

I have a backlog, that's for sure.

To answer the question from a couple months ago about whether we're seeing the most active offers we've had at once: I think it's safe to say now that yes, this is the highest number of active offers I've seen at any point in SLU recruiting history. I can't say that it's officially the most ever, but I'd be shocked if it weren't.

52 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I have a backlog, that's for sure.

To answer the question from a couple months ago about whether we're seeing the most active offers we've had at once: I think it's safe to say now that yes, this is the highest number of active offers I've seen at any point in SLU recruiting history. I can't say that it's officially the most ever, but I'd be shocked if it weren't.

No doubt about that. Now the trick becomes determining which kids are our priority and we actually have a chance of landing, I think we need another Ben W.