Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Targeting higher-level non-local recruits early is certainly something we are not used to seeing. I like that Ford has a strategy in mind (east coach kids in addition to the regional guys), we will see whether that strategy leads to commitments. I am assuming this is a player Macon already has some familiarity with?

That's not a strategy.

That's not a strategy.

? He articulated a recruiting strategy that included targeting guys in Missouri and neighboring states as well as kids from bigger cities on the east coast (within the A-10 footprint) and the recent activity supports that he is in fact following thru on those words (offers to kids from Brooklyn, White Plains, DC, Lee's Summit MO, Chesterfield MO, Waukegan IL, Indianapolis, and Barrington RI).

? He articulated a recruiting strategy that included targeting guys in Missouri and neighboring states as well as kids from bigger cities on the east coast (within the A-10 footprint) and the recent activity supports that he is in fact following thru on those words (offers to kids from Brooklyn, White Plains, DC, Lee's Summit MO, Chesterfield MO, Waukegan IL, Indianapolis, and Barrington RI).

Gary Pinkel had similar success trying not only to get the local kids from Missouri but also getting the best kids available from Texas who were not selected by UT, etc but could still play in the Big XII and against their friends on teams from UT, Texas Tech, Baylor and A & M before they left for the SEC and in fro t of their friends and families when Mizzou played road games at these schools.

Smart stategy by Ford. It might be easier to recruit a kid from DC,Philly etc than from Springfield IL

Smart stategy by Ford. It might be easier to recruit a kid from DC,Philly etc than from Springfield IL

Except Ford has already said very clearly he is prioritizing all of Illinois and even all of Kansas as a regional focus, in addition to targeting kids on the East Coast.

I don't think anyone said this was breaking news.

cgeldmacher, are you confirming that Gordon is at Webster? That has been discussed on here, but likely around the time of the post you responded to which was from January. I am looking forward to watching Webster next season with Gordon and Ramey. Especially with Gordon playing up with MOKAN Elite this spring, he could really improve his game and his stock.

Still a mystery for now - "undisclosed reasons" - but we might know more as of today. Someone with Webster Groves ties on Twitter says he'll announce today. Could be nothing, but he claims to have spoken with him yesterday.

He left on his own; wasn't kicked off or failing out or anything like that. Gordon was never thought to have liked Vianney very much.

I've heard some things that would make me question whether he would be a positive or a negative for SLU. Just because a guy is highly ranked does not mean that we should automatically be recruiting him. Other factors come into play other than your Rivals ranking.

I've heard some things that would make me question whether he would be a positive or a negative for SLU. Just because a guy is highly ranked does not mean that we should automatically be recruiting him. Other factors come into play other than your Rivals ranking.

Interesting, I will take your word for it. It is looking like he will be a top 50 type recruit after the summer, so he will certainly have his choice of programs. When I watched him play for Vianney he certainly had some effort issues.

Notable names on the Future150 2018 rankings:

28. Carte'Are Gordon

48. Tim Finke

54. Kevin Easley

76. Courtney Ramey

92. Torrence Watson

Jontay Porter is 60th but he's already committed to Washington.

Just looked at the Future 150 again and the rankings have updated:

20. Carte'Are Gordon

37. Tim Finke

45. Jontay Porter

53. Courtney Ramey

Also, found this interesting relating to the conversation a few days back about fertile recruiting grounds geographically, but there are four kids in 2018's top 75 players on Rivals that are within a three hour drive of St. Louis (actually within the top 53 players). There is only one kid in the top 75, from New Albany, Indiana, that is within a three hour drive of Cincinnati. I'm not trying to start any argument about which area produces better talent. I know that Indiana/Kentucky/Ohio is very good basketball recruiting territory. I'm just noting that in 2018, there is a lot of top level talent in and around St. Louis.

P.S. I didn't see Easley in the top 75. Not sure why when you pull out the Top150 it only shows you 75 players.

20. Carte'Are Gordon

37. Tim Finke

45. Jontay Porter

53. Courtney Ramey

Also, found this interesting relating to the conversation a few days back about fertile recruiting grounds geographically, but there are four kids in 2018's top 75 players on Rivals that are within a three hour drive of St. Louis (actually within the top 53 players). There is only one kid in the top 75, from New Albany, Indiana, that is within a three hour drive of Cincinnati. I'm not trying to start any argument about which area produces better talent. I know that Indiana/Kentucky/Ohio is very good basketball recruiting territory. I'm just noting that in 2018, there is a lot of top level talent in and around St. Louis.

So Watson dropped out of the top 100 but everyone else moved up? Interesting.

There's no doubt that STL is a more fertile recruiting area right now than Cincy, and has been for at least a few years. My point in that earlier discussion was just that there are some advantages to being with 100 miles of 5 other decent sized markets. Helps logistically, gives you a larger network nearby, and so forth. The talent within that region ebbs and flows, just as it does in St. Louis.

20. Carte'Are Gordon

37. Tim Finke

45. Jontay Porter

53. Courtney Ramey

P.S. I didn't see Easley in the top 75. Not sure why when you pull out the Top150 it only shows you 75 players.

And Torrence Watson is going to be a top 100 after the summer as well. 247sports has the following for these kids:

33. Tim Finke

63. Carte'Are Gordon

76. Jontay Porter

78. Courtney Ramey (currently injured)

89. Torrence Watson

91. Kevin Easley

I can't imagine Coach Blossom wil be too receptive to that.

CG was at WG before VIanney, he left because they didn't see "eye to eye". Most are surprised Blossom welcomed him back. Obviously conditions apply, plus what public school coach wouldn't be somewhat excited about having possibly 2 five stars.

Think it's a little unfair to accuse the kid of "pulling the race card." I can't imagine what it would be like to be an non-catholic, African-American student at Vianney, DeSmet, SLUH (where I went), etc.

I understand the point and also am disappointed to hear he has not proven to be a particularly hard worker. Still think he's worth giving the benefit of the doubt to (And @TheChosenOne, I know you weren't saying the opposite of this).

Thanks a lot. I've been frustrating myself Googling "bryce willis" for 10 minutes until I realized my mistake.

Anyway, Willis is a big-time recruit for 2018: 6-5 point guard, 4-star player, #69 in the national Rivals rankings, #58 in the 24-7 rankings, and an outstanding student: 95.2% average at his high school, taking all honors classes. He's the full package.

Bryce Wills: PG, 6-5, 175, White Plains, NY (Iona Prep) Offers: SLU, VCU, Fordham, St. Johns, Iona, Hofstra. Interest: Virginia, Maryland, Minnesota, Temple, Boston. Latest News: SLU is Willis latest offer, following VCU and St. Johns. Scouting Report: Willis is a big lead guard who sees the floor well and has a steady jumper with range. Hes athletic and a strong ball handler and good passer, but needs to work on strength and decision making, as well as off-ball positioning. Hes #69 in the 2018 Rivals rankings. Twitter: @Bryce_Wills5

Gus Flips is done.

Watson's coach, Mike Potsou, was the the Ford intro press conference along with Kelvin Lee. Interesting, but maybe nothing more than interesting.

Can't be a bad thing to get face time with local coaches.

Kelvin has a couple nice 2018 players in Tony Burkes and Yahuza Rasas. Not sure what the ceiling is on either and they have a ways to go right now, but they're both kids to keep an eye on. Rising sophomore Yuri Collins will be a name we'll likely see once the 2019 thread gets started.

Regarding Gordon, it sounds like he wasn't happy at Vianney. Whatever the reasons, whatever he said, he just sounds like he was over it. He moved on, and he's going to a good program with a good coach.

I don't think we should be writing off a talent of that magnitude because he showed occasional discontent as a sophomore in high school. While I understand there might be reasons we might not recruit a big-time player - grades, attitude, legal problems, whatever - I don't think there's enough to lay off Gordon at this point. He's getting a much needed reset. I'd refresh his offer and stay involved.

Regarding Gordon, it sounds like he wasn't happy at Vianney. Whatever the reasons, whatever he said, he just sounds like he was over it. He moved on, and he's going to a good program with a good coach.

I don't think we should be writing off a talent of that magnitude because he showed occasional discontent as a sophomore in high school. While I understand there might be reasons we might not recruit a big-time player - grades, attitude, legal problems, whatever - I don't think there's enough to lay off Gordon at this point. He's getting a much needed reset. I'd refresh his offer and stay involved.

Going to Blossom gives college coaches kinda of an idea. If Blossom can't snap him out of whatever funk he's in, no coach can.

Think it's a little unfair to accuse the kid of "pulling the race card." I can't imagine what it would be like to be an non-catholic, African-American student at Vianney, DeSmet, SLUH (where I went), etc.

I understand the point and also am disappointed to hear he has not proven to be a particularly hard worker. Still think he's worth giving the benefit of the doubt to (And @TheChosenOne, I know you weren't saying the opposite of this).

I agree. I don't know anything about the kid, so I was not endorsing him being a malcontent or anything else. I just know from what I saw that effort was certainly a concern that I had. However, he was also by far the best player on the court. The kid is a big time player and maybe being back at Webster playing with Ramey will be a welcome change of scenery for him. As Pistol said, he was obviously not happy at Vianney (based on him transferring), so maybe what we saw on the court at times was a carryover from that. I like the fact that he is playing with MOKAN Elite this summer and playing with kids like Michael Porter, Trae Young, Jared Ridder, and Jontay Porter. He should get a good idea of what it takes to be an elite prospect from those kids and playing against that level of competition he won't be able to play with anything less than maximum effort.