Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

5 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I wasn't sure how exactly to do the positions, but 2017-18 looks like this.

Combo Guards: Jermaine Bishop/Davell Roby/Jordan Goodwin (since the Smart role has been mentioned)

Wings: Adonys Henriquez/Zeke Moore/Javon Bess

Forwards: Jalen Johnson/Elliott Welmer/Hasahn French

Bigs: DJ Foreman/Austin Gillmann/Matt Neufeld

On paper you see the importance of Bishop.

This looks about right. Note that Adonys can handle the ball a bit, too.

And the center/forward discussion will be interesting. Right now, Gillmann and Neufeld are the only guys listed as 'Center' on the roster. I think it is quite possible that we spend (large?) stretches of time over the next two years without either of them on the floor. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay Blossom, head coach for Webster was on with Frank today.  Talked about CG and just how much he's improved and how is more than just a big man.  Also mentioned is work ethic is improved. 

One item they did talk about was the recruitment of Ramey and mentioned a bunch of schools that were recruiting him and SLU was not one of the ones he mentioned.  Frank asked a follow up saying it didn't sound like he will stay local and he said you never know but he thinks he has other schools higher on his list than the locals.  Pitino is supposed to come in soon to watch him.

25 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Jay Blossom, head coach for Webster was on with Frank today.  Talked about CG and just how much he's improved and how is more than just a big man.  Also mentioned is work ethic is improved. 

One item they did talk about was the recruitment of Ramey and mentioned a bunch of schools that were recruiting him and SLU was not one of the ones he mentioned.  Frank asked a follow up saying it didn't sound like he will stay local and he said you never know but he thinks he has other schools higher on his list than the locals.  Pitino is supposed to come in soon to watch him.

I'm sure RP will bring a few added "goodies" with him-he has such a stellar personal reputation!  What parent wouldn't want their son to be able to attend great parties "hosted" by some of Louisville's more attractive females or to be able to join Rick at his favorite restaurant.  The moral fiber of Louisville's Head basketball and football coaches tells you all you need to know about that school.

28 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

#13 on ESPN in the 2018 rankings is Javonte Smart.  He's a point guard out of Baton Rouge.  Anyone know whether or not he is related to Marcus Smart?

No relation.

I wonder if the focus for 2018 recruiting turns to Watson now. I'm guessing we were already going after him hard, but now Ford and company can amp up their efforts with Gordon already on board. Plus as was noted earlier, Gordon already tweeted to Watson that he should join him. I saw Zeke tweeted him something similar as well, but I don't see it anymore. I wonder if it was taken down because of NCAA rules?

41 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

I wonder if the focus for 2018 recruiting turns to Watson now. I'm guessing we were already going after him hard, but now Ford and company can amp up their efforts with Gordon already on board. Plus as was noted earlier, Gordon already tweeted to Watson that he should join him. I saw Zeke tweeted him something similar as well, but I don't see it anymore. I wonder if it was taken down because of NCAA rules?

Gordon isn't technically on board till he signs right?

He can't sign until November of 2017.

43 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Goodwin tweeted at him, too. No idea what the NCAA rules are on it now but I like to see current and future players reaching out like that.

3 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

It's on page 32 of this thread - 11:58 a.m. post by the the torch

Thanks, Bauman. I knew I saw that somewhere. I really like our players/commits trying to get their friends to play here too. I've always wanted SLU to be a program the local proespects wanted to play at. Looks like Ford and Tate might be finally making that happen with some help from Goodwin and Gordon.

Line up for 2017. 

After reading that French was a target from day one, I have to believe there is a point guard target that has yet to sign.I think Bishop as an experienced junior at point guard is likely to get most of the minutes at the point.  The team will need an experienced point guard if they are going to make a run at the big dance.
Goodwin’s talent will be tough to hold back at the 2 guard which is where the scouting boards show  him playing.
Henriquez is already a proven Div 1 player.  At 6’6” and with a good outside shot, he will make a great 3 and help open up the inside for our post players who have limited range and will need room inside to maneuver.
Foreman will be on the floor, either at the 4 and or 5.
Will one of our existing big guys develop? 
French opens up the possibility of him playing the 4 and Foreman playing the 5.   How much French plays in 2017 will likely be dictated by how long it takes him to play solid defense.
Bess is the one transfer I have the biggest questions about.  Unlike Foreman and Henriquez, he hasn’t done much his first 2 years, though he sat for a really good team.  He also didn’t display any outside game.  So he has the body and ball skills of a 3 guard, but lacks the shooting range.  I don’t see him playing the 3 a lot unless he develops an outside shot.  It is tough to put 3 players on the floor (Foreman, French and Bess) at the same time with limited range.  It allows the other team to pack in the defense.  So Foreman, French and Bess on the floor together for extended periods, seems very unlikely. 

Now if one of our other bigs demonstrates that he can play at this level, they could potentially stretch the floor, then you could have Bess take the other teams 3 guard inside, like Dwayne Evans, though that was most effective with 2 stretch bigs.  The other way Bess might get on the floor is to play lights out D on the opposing team’s top scorer.

It will be interesting to watch Ford coach and see if he looks to create mismatches with the opposing team or if he just tries to impose his will on other teams.   Unfortunately this year, with the very limited stable of players, we may not learn much about his in game coaching.  By 2017 however, he will have a lot more to work with.

Then there is the question of how deep Ford plays into his bench.   He is building a more traditional team and it appears he will have the athletic depth to run thinner teams into the ground at the end of both halves.  He is bringing in enough talent to run at the top of the A10, which is a very solid BB conference.   If the St. Louis area can keep producing 4 and 5 star players, I think Ford will attract them and dominate the A10 and make runs in the post season.  Regardless, there are dances in our future!

Offering Jordan Goodwin the opportunity to be a Marcus Smart style point guard was a major part of the sales pitch.  The other guards we offered to play with Goodwin - Thomas Allen, Matt Turner, Anthony Mack - are all combo guards, i.e. shooting guards who can handle the ball well enough to play some point.  Ford's teams have always been light on point guards.  That's the way he operates.  He likes to play his main guy 30-35 min a game. We already have guards on the roster capable of covering the remaining 5-10 minutes.

The best chance we have of landing a quality point guard is in the 2019 class to replace Bishop's minutes.  We do have a couple offers out to blue chip point guards in 2018. We have even more offers out to combo guards, though.

Goodwin doesn't look the part of a traditional point guard but he certainly passes like one. And he can post up practically any point guard in the conference.  Looking forward to seeing how he does.

Karrington Davis received an offer from K-State yesterday. Bruce Weber was out to see him and Jericole Hellems last week. Davis now has offers from SLU, K-State, SIUE, and Middle Tennessee State. Expect that list to grow dramatically this season.

Michael Devoe (DeVoe? Not sure) got an offer from Georgia Tech yesterday. GT and GW were out to see him this week. He plans to go out and see TCU, Oklahoma, Georgia, and Miami soon. The interest and offer lists are swelling rapidly, and he's primed for a big season.

Ayo Dosunmu attended Xavier's Musketeer Madness. Butler is the latest to offer. He's up to at least 22.

Tim Finke took an unofficial visit to Illinois last week. He's local, so he's been there a bunch, but this one was apparently more in depth. They remain his leader.

Torrence Watson had nice things to say about his visit to Iowa State for Hilton Madness.

Jeenathan Williams got an offer from Providence.

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Karrington Davis received an offer from K-State yesterday. Bruce Weber was out to see him and Jericole Hellems last week. Davis now has offers from SLU, K-State, SIUE, and Middle Tennessee State. Expect that list to grow dramatically this season.

Michael Devoe (DeVoe? Not sure) got an offer from Georgia Tech yesterday. GT and GW were out to see him this week. He plans to go out and see TCU, Oklahoma, Georgia, and Miami soon. The interest and offer lists are swelling rapidly, and he's primed for a big season.

Ayo Dosunmu attended Xavier's Musketeer Madness. Butler is the latest to offer. He's up to at least 22.

Tim Finke took an unofficial visit to Illinois last week. He's local, so he's been there a bunch, but this one was apparently more in depth. They remain his leader.

Torrence Watson had nice things to say about his visit to Iowa State for Hilton Madness.

Jeenathan Williams got an offer from Providence.

Torrence Watson's mom liked a bunch of tweets about Watson staying home with Gordon & Goodwin. That's all I got. 

2 hours ago, slusam said:

Watson is visiting Butler this weekend

Butler hasn't offered yet, so that could come this weekend.

As for his recruitment with SLU, I don't have any special insights. We've been involved for some time, though, and I know his offer has been refreshed since the coaching change. Goodwin and Gordon tweeted at him after last week's commitment, and certainly seeing local recruits of their profile go SLU's way has to be intriguing to him. He's got a lot of schools heavily involved - Mizzou, Iowa State, Butler, Creighton, K-State, West Virginia, and several others - and I've seen no indication he wants to trim his list or make a commitment early. He plays at a lower-profile HS program and against lower-level competition than our other local recruits, so I'm not sure how much the upcoming season does for him compared to others. Regardless, I'll be monitoring closely, as I imagine a lot of us MBMs will be.