Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

23 minutes ago, runandshoot said:

Where is everyone gettting all this info from about Ramey. I know the dad really well and recently talked to him at his league. He had no ill will towards SLU after I asked him about where did our Billikens stand. He told me exactly from his mouth that the new coaches hadn't reached out to him or his son and Watson for the matter all summer long and after there hire. He mentioned that the 1st contact to him and Watson was by Cory Tate a week after he was hired and he told Tate that he was surprised that Ford wouldn't have reached out by now and that no SLU coaches attended any summer games and for that matter they were behind other schools who have done a better job of building a relationship with him and his son which is vital to him. This is from the horses mouth. Not sure what he has to gain by lying.

Also since I have been around the Dad even before Courtney was born, he has never talked about the kid and NBA and plus you never see the kid on social media or anywhere talking or acting like he is a superstar. So I was just curious of to where you all are getting this notion that he never liked SLU and being programmed to be a 1 and done. Back to Watson, he had a very strong relationship with the previous staff especially coach Brown and has always liked SLU. Not being a detective but since I am talking bull&&&& why did it take till August 2016 for the staff to re offer the Watson family as stated by the tweet from his HS coach. 

I am big on kids staying home and wish we could land all 3 but the question was raised why have we fallen of Ramey so quick and since I am close to the family, I thought I would bring some clarity to the situation from what the Dad has told me. I have nothing to gain and I am not saying anyone is at fault, I am sure Coach Ford knows what exactly he is doing and wants. Maybe Ramey isn't high on his list and doesn't like his playing style. He has that right, just wanted to tell you what was said to me by the family. 

I think it's unfair, in general, to criticize Ford's staff for "neglecting" c/o 2018 prospects when he's just getting started and hadn't even completed his staff until the summer was nearly over and needed to assess current players and c/o 2017 targets first.  There are only so many hours available.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, William Iken said:

You are an immense source of knowledge - I'll add my thanks to your work and dedication in providing the 411 on the recruits. One question - not living in St Louis how do you know so much about a high school basketball team? I'm amazed.

Thanks. It's really just a matter of being organized. Several years ago on this board, I just decided we needed to start getting more organized in terms of recruiting discussions. There'd be a thread about one guy here, a rumor there, etc. - but I thought it'd work better if we kept information organized by class and made sure to keep a list for each class - offers and interest, with a third list for names I haven't confirmed SLU interest but may become prospects (usually local). I keep that all on a Google doc. Then I just check in from time to time with Twitter and Google searches, update my sheet, and post updates here. That's it.

I also have a running conversation going with a few friends who went to high school and SLU with me, as well as a couple other off-board conversations always going with other interested SLU alums. My HS alma mater is Chaminade, so I usually have a bit more to say when CCP prospects come up, given that those friends also went there and stay at least somewhat connected, and my brother teaches there.

So it's nothing more than diligence and organization, and having buddies who share the same interests.

8 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I think it's unfair, in general, to criticize Ford's staff for "neglecting" c/o 2018 prospects when he's just getting started and hadn't even completed his staff until the summer was nearly over and needed to assess current players and c/o 2017 targets first.  There are only so many hours available.

This is absolutely true. I'll also echo what others have said in that Ramey has been a "prospect" of note since before middle school, and that his and his father's eyes have always been set on the biggest possible stage for him. How big a program that ends up being remains to be seen, but the important thing is that it has never been SLU's fault if the program does not appear to be one of his leaders. It's just not what they've ever wanted. If Ford manages to make SLU even one of a dozen-plus contenders when he starts to trim his list, that will be a coup.

Most of us had written off Gordon a while ago for the same reason, that he seemed to have his eyes on the biggest possible stage, with KU rumored to be the dream program. Ford and Tate have gotten us back into this race, which in itself is quite an accomplishment.

Watson is another guy who will have options, and because he's a 2018 name, he didn't need to be Ford's first item of business when taking the job. The 2017 class was and is more pressing. He knows that. There's no disrespect here, either.

This 2017 class has a chance to be special and Ford has only been on the job for about six months. With an extra year and the hire of Tate, there's no reason we can't make some noise in 2018. Trust the process.

3 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

We've seen this situation 1000 times. The player isn't really interested in SLU but he wants to be recruited by them

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I say bs to runandshoot or should I say run the mouth and shoot from the hip.  What is the incentive?  Simple... to create interest when not enough is perceived to exist. If SLU and Coach Ford were to show huge interest then this can and will be used to waive in front of the blueblood coaches he really wants to attend. RM chose not to fawn over Ed Macauley's grandson -- we had to listen to all the local bs, that we lost not only a local, but the grandson of our best ever player, to Butler who would lead them to more Final Fours.  I am glad RM ignored these people in that Berry was an injured stiff.  Recently we heard from an "insider" that Ford had not even reached out to Goodwin.  Well, we know that to be false. as well  Now, no contact or phone call by Ford until after Tate?  I find that hard to believe. We know Ford reached out to numerous kids within hours of getting the job. And while I agree with much of what Pistol says about 2017 being a priority, I dont believe for a minute that Ford would ignore any top local kid from 2018 for months.  Who cannot take 5 minutes out of their 15 hour day to make a call, send a text or write a letter to a talented kid even if he has shown minimal interest. Coach Ford doesnt deserve such attacks.  

Did Ford choose 2017 kids over 2018 kids? sure.  Has Ford given Ramey the Jim Harbough treatment of going class to class with him in school?  probably not. Does Ramey want more attention and now sends his posse here to .com.  Looks like it.

This is the 2nd poster in the last month who has been a shilling for Ramey and professes a personal relationship with them.

A simple twitter search reveals that Ford watched team Ramey 3 times in April and May.  It may have been the first team he watched as HC at SLU.

Watson, Gordon and Ramey have all visited SLU multiple times and been to multiple games.  

I don't see any indication anywhere that Ramey has any favorable interest in SLU.  He's collecting big time offers daily and his rankings keep going up.  He's going to the highest level school that gives him an offer.

11 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Recently we heard from an "insider" that Ford had not even reached out to Goodwin.  Well, we know that to be false. as well

It doesn't matter at this point, but I had talked to an individual associated with the Eagles a short time after Ford was hired and at that point he was not aware of the new staff reaching out to any of their kids (everything else he told me about Goodwin ended up being true, so I assume this was as well). Ford would proceed to attend every Eagles game this spring/summer, so that obviously made up for any potential delay in reaching out. This certainly makes me take that sort of information with a grain of salt now since ultimately it comes down to building a relationship with the specific kid and whether you contact him the first day you can or two weeks later, that probably doesn't matter much. With Ford, I think everyone is going to be more willing to give the benefit of the doubt since he obviously has a good handle on that side of things. Maybe some of that information is true regarding Watson and Ramey, but at this point we are at least in relatively good position with Watson who has some interest in staying home (along with Gordon), so whether that info is true to some extent doesn't really matter. Plus it is obvious Tate already had a relationship with Watson since he had been actively recruting him when he was at Mizzou. There are some posters that have decent sources with regards to recruiting, so let's not go too far running every poster off who presents recruiting information that may end up not playing out (recruiting is constantly changing, so chances are nobody is going to always hit).

Good timing. I had added both of these guys to the interest list just yesterday. Reece appears to be just hitting radars recruiting-wise (he's grown a couple inches and already had a nice skill set). McKinney has already had a big number of schools visiting him and/or showing interest.

3 hours ago, SLURadioBoy said:

This was posted yesterday...

User Actions
  Follow
uSvQXkMA_bigger.pngPrep Hoops Missouri@PrepHoopsMO

Saint Louis HC Travis Ford and AC Corey Tate were at Vashon today to see 2018 SF Joseph Reece and 2019 G Mario McKinney

Interesting, no mention of Stockard - like he wasn't a part of the visit when likely he was THE primary target of the visit. 

Florida has found a couple decent players out of Chaminade in the past; I guess they're trying to keep that gravy train rolling.

Dosunmu's stock has continued to rise since we offered him shortly after Ford taking the job. Nice to see we're still involved. He's been to Illinois, Wisconsin, and Northwestern recently. Many have visited him this month. He's crept above Tim Finke in the rankings, considered the #1 2018 prospect in Illinois now, and ranked between 20 and 33 nationally, depending on the service.

It's going to be a joy watching regional high school basketball this season with so many SLU targets playing on stacked teams:   Carte'Are Gordon (Webster Groves), Fred Thatch (Sikeston), Karrington Davis (Chaminade), Joseph Reece (Vashon).  

Our top target, Torrence Watson, has a weak supporting cast. Whitfield is only going as far as he can take them. The upside (for SLU) of Watson playing in a small pond is that his recruiting may remain regional.

They could like their chances but what are the odds they will even be there come summer 2017?  I would think based on the past 2 years, the fact Anderson has had 13 transfers, decommits or dismissals in his 2 years there already, and that they would now be 2 ADs removed from the one that hired him, he would really need to impress this year to stay. 

Also, don't forget it was just about a week or two ago Frank mentioned how he has heard that SLU really likes their chances with Gordon and Watson as well.  He said the same thing about Goodwin and we know how that turned out. 

8 minutes ago, Billiken4life5 said:

A Mizzou assistant mentioned in an interview yesterday something along the lines of "things could change but we don't think we're going to have to leave the state of Missouri for our 2018 class".... They like their chances with Watson and Gordon.  Personally I think they're wrong but we shall see

Mizzou is recruiting at least seven kids from the state in that class.  As it stands they have 3 open spots.