Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

33 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I've moved much of the sidebar topic to a new thread; please review this one and let me know if you think it's okay.  Thanks.

All good for me. Thanks. After the hysteria of the past two weeks, hoping the board (myself included) can stay on topic in this thread. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Talen Horton-Tucker had Iowa State for an in-home visit on 9/10, and will have Illinois tomorrow. We may be one of 13 of his finalists, but commitments are starting to change the situation at other places as THT takes his time:

-Mizzou got the Torrence Watson commitment. Kyler Edwards (also a SLU offeree) was scheduled to visit this weekend but will go to Texas Tech instead.

-Michigan State just got a commitment from Aaron Henry. THT was already asked about it and said they could play together, but it's certainly crowding the roster with Gabe Brown also in the fold and MSU out of 2018 scholarships.

-Zion Griffin committed to Iowa State this week, right after that aforementioned in-home visit with THT.

-Dayton got a big commitment yesterday from Dwayne Cohill, a 6-4 wing. They have one scholarship for 2018 left (for now) and probably need to look at a PG or a big. They're also a finalist for Rhoden.

-Florida State technically has no scholarships left to give, but could see spots open in the spring.

-Xavier still has room but is a short list finalist for both Justin Ahrens and Isaiah Mucius.

-Ohio State has no 2018 commitments yet after the Watson situation, but is also a finalist for Ahrens and still in the mix for many others.

-Michigan is the third finalist for Ahrens and still has a couple spots open regardless, but I've seen almost no chatter about their interest in THT before or after making his final 13 list.

-Georgia Tech still has a few scholarships. The only commitment so far is Kristian Sjolund, who is listed as a SF but at 6-9 is a different player than THT. They're also in the mix for a ton of other guys, including Jericole Hellems.

-Kansas is definitely heavy competition for anyone else in this pool. They have 2 spots open and 1 commitment (Silvio de Sousa, PF) but are always doing work in the spring when guys jump.

-Georgetown has four scholarships open; the only commitment is a 6-8 forward.

-Illinois is making the full push on THT, along with George Conditt, Ayo Dosunmu, Tim Finke, Landers Nolley, and a couple others. Finke and Nolley would be direct competitors for position/minutes with THT.

So the way I see it, two schools (FSU, MSU) are out of room, four schools (Mizzou, MSU, ISU, UD) just got commitments at his position, and several of the rest are in hot pursuit of others at his position. I guess the same could be said of SLU, but my point is that the overall picture here has changed quite a bit since he released the list a couple weeks ago.

7 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Back in the 90s we were in the Great Midwest. Loved that conference. Casual fans could relate more to playing Louisville, Memphis, Marquette, Cincy, etc.. then playing St Bona, Fordham, LaSalle... Also our OOC schedule was always top 10 that featured marquis match-ups like, ILL,  UCLA, Kansas, AZ, etc.. Now we are lucky to get a bottom-feeder P5 school

indeed those were the days my friend

On 9/12/2017 at 4:40 PM, Spoon-Balls said:

It's all part of Cuonzo's efforts to counteract Ford's recruiting efforts in STL. He wants the kids to think that Boone Country is essentially "home" and that St. Louis is a Mizzou town. It's his way of downplaying SLU's "staying home" pitch to local recruits, and he will try to paint himself as a true son of St. Louis. Martin will only continue to push that message in recruiting battles for 2019, 2020, 2021. 

I agree. I believe I saw a Mizzou football TV commercial the other day with audio script suggesting same thing.. St. Louis' team. No arch imagery, and probably more of a play to Rams fans, but same thing. I'll look for it again.

On 9/12/2017 at 2:05 PM, davidnark said:

You had me until point number 4. The bigger is better approach was a 80's-90's sports venue concept. These days, the key is to finding the optimal size to (a) create the best game-day atmosphere, and (b) help drive an optimal demand v. supply. Adding more seats does nothing but create a cavern for most, if not at all, games. Nobody cares that Cameron Indoor has limited seats, but everyone raves about the electric atmosphere. 

I don't disagree with you. At the time, my hope was that they'd build it in the 12-13,000 range. A bit smaller than average Spoon attendance to generate atmosphere and demand / gotta-have-em tickets, but bigger than the 10,000 they built which I thought under served. As I learned later, the original plan was in that middle ground until cost issues stopped it.

But either way, larger venues in town available in special situations.

19 minutes ago, Adman said:

I agree. I believe I saw a Mizzou football TV commercial the other day with audio script suggesting same thing.. St. Louis' team. No arch imagery, and probably more of a play to Rams fans, but same thing. I'll look for it again.

If SLU had some intelligent marketing people (I hear they've been getting better in that department), they could really try to take some serious jabs at Mizzou in social media, ads, etc. Similar to that women's basketball tweet that someone posted. They need to seriously push the "St. Louis' Basketball Team" theme, the fact that you can see a basketball game here in town without having to drive 2 hours into the stix... 

Definitely agree. I've been saying this for years. But they've got to get the basketball product right first, deliver the goods. Then it can be the St Louis team St Louisans will embrace. We were on the way under Rickma.

Other than the true blue fans here, few want to associate with the losers Jim Crews rolled out. 

12 hours ago, MattyMo213 said:

Just looked at Jared Rhoden's twitter for the first time and saw he had his tweet about an offer from Wichita State pinned. Do we think this is any indication of where he wants to play most?

If memory serves, that was his most recent offer (he had a few in August), and he was pinning earlier ones, too, until more came through. WSU, Wyoming, and Santa Clara all offered in late July/early August. I wouldn't sweat it.

More concerning to me is that he was supposed to meet Seton Hall next week and their in-home visit happened Monday, a week before they were scheduled. They seem to be coming on strong.

Just some perspective on Jared Rhoden from a Seton Hall writer:

Jared Rhoden (6’6 SF) – Yet another three-star small forward, Rhoden joins Matthews Jr. and Moore as recruits the staff is likely lining up as back-up plans should five-star Louis King (we’ll get to him) commit elsewhere.

Rhoden has lined up a handful of in-home visits (full list) including Seton Hall, Wichita State, Penn State, and VCU; the staff also saw him earlier this week. The New York City product’s potential suitors err on the side of mid-major compared to Matthews Jr. and of course King.

http://shuhoops.com/seton-hall-basketball/2018-recruiting-round-up/