Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

no one is attacking a kid.  we are attacking your worthless scum coach martin.   a 16 year old is tough match to stand up to a smooth talking con man like martin.  

So the kids are tough enough to turn down the school and coach that they've publicly committed to, but not tough enough to turn down coach Martin during and after the decommitment?

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't we just show some faith in Gordon. Until we here from him, I'm going to take him at his word. He's committed to SLU 

For STLHI ... what's the point of a commitment if it doesn't end your recruitment? Is it really no more than I'm leaning toward a certain school? No, It's a kid saying I've made up my mind ... I've decided to go to blank school. Any coach with integrity would lay off and show some respect to the kid. Of course these kids aren't good at telling high powered professional salespeople to leave them alone, but they shouldn't have to, Continuing to recruit a kid after he commits shows how little respect you have for him or his word. It also shows you don't really care about him, you're acting like you do and selling like you do but your true concern is just you and your program. Parents and kids should be smart enough to see that and run like hell from coaches who employ this tactic

6 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

While I'm certainly nervous, it only takes one or two of those goofballs to switch a prediction and they all go in on it.  Fear of missing out, or something along those lines.  No one wants to seem like they aren't "insiders".  If I remember correctly, there were quite a few predictions for Watson to SLU earlier on.

tumblr_nj75y6ui4A1s2wio8o1_500.gif

23 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Why don't we just show some faith in Gordon. Until we here from him, I'm going to take him at his word. He's committed to SLU 

For STLHI ... what's the point of a commitment if it doesn't end your recruitment? Is it really no more than I'm leaning toward a certain school? No, It's a kid saying I've made up my mind ... I've decided to go to blank school. Any coach with integrity would lay off and show some respect to the kid. Of course these kids aren't good at telling high powered professional salespeople to leave them alone, but they shouldn't have to, Continuing to recruit a kid after he commits shows how little respect you have for him or his word. It also shows you don't really care about him, you're acting like you do and selling like you do but your true concern is just you and your program. Parents and kids should be smart enough to see that and run like hell from coaches who employ this tactic

Some people don't get it, do they slufanskip.  Telling a high schooler it is okay to go against his promise isn't a message we need to be teaching our youth.  This is about a life lesson.  

As I see it, it's a two-way street, the kid and his former suitors all playing the "honor" game.  But there is no honor among thieves, I guess.  All's fair in love and war so let's call recruiting a war and legitimize it all.  I get it.  I have no problem with Porter, Jr., Harris and Tillmon --- the coach they signed with changed jobs and since kids sign with coaches, I'm okay with immediate releases.  Tillmon  is slightly different ----- he committed, then re-committed, then de-committed and signed with a guy who just happened to be visiting his sister at the same high school in the same time.  Watson had to decommit for family reasons.  So what were they?  I think that's a major plot line from the original story yet conveniently buried moving forward after his recommit. 

The quote attributed to Gordon by Macallen 18 near the top of page 143 is a good point ---- that's a kid committing to a city and building a legacy at a school.  Made sense.  Still makes sense.  But until he enrolls in his first class in August 2018, commitments and letters of intent and all that jazz are just a farce. 

All you can do is worry about what you can control. 

4 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Clearly not.  But i hope you have a good day ?

What a worthless fanbase when you feel it necessary to troll SLU, what the hell have you all won? That's right NOTHING...

the clock is ticking...mizzou football blows, gonna need a new coach real soon, your AD, I mean Bill Laurie, hired East St. Martin, everything that family touches turns to $hit.  Overpaid is an understatement, any decent football coach is going to want double East St. Martin, plus a good staff... Boone County U can't afford that....

but if trolling SLU makes you feel better, have at it because you guys have never won ANYTHING and never will.

43 minutes ago, keyser soze said:

What a worthless fanbase when you feel it necessary to troll SLU, what the hell have you all won? That's right NOTHING...

the clock is ticking...mizzou football blows, gonna need a new coach real soon, your AD, I mean Bill Laurie, hired East St. Martin, everything that family touches turns to $hit.  Overpaid is an understatement, any decent football coach is going to want double East St. Martin, plus a good staff... Boone County U can't afford that....

but if trolling SLU makes you feel better, have at it because you guys have never won ANYTHING and never will.

Lol why are you telling me this?

1 hour ago, Quanzo said:

tumblr_nj75y6ui4A1s2wio8o1_500.gif

It is amazing that Mizzou fans just keep their heads in the sand as the program starts to feel like it is operating just like it did under Quinn on the recruiting front.  Many of the similar defenses were brought up back then are being used now.  Quinn a had a clean record and Duke had never been in trouble.  

There is a permanent culture that has surrounds the Mizzou program that thinks playing fast and loose with the rules is acceptable following a downturn.  After either missing or not making it out of the first round of the tournament for 5 straight seasons from 83-84 to 87-88 Mizzou acted in a way that led to probation in 1990. The need to return the program to prominence after the downturn during Norm's last few seasons led to the violations under Quinn.  The desire to return to prominence after the Snyder debacle and Mike Anderson's abrupt departure ultimately led to the violations that occurred under Haith.  Now we have the desire for a quick return to prominence after Kim Anderson era.  There is a clear pattern here and to think it is not repeating itself is foolish.

The willingness to cross the line for that quick fix always ends up burning that program down in Columbia.  It is in the blood of the people that surround that program.  It is why that program can never sustain success.  It is why this quick fix will end up ending like the others.

53 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

it's been a good 13 year run on this board but I'm out. Maybe we can get some moderators that actually moderate by the time the season rolls around. 

Try the ignore feature.  It seems to me that you don't want someone to moderate, but you want someone to dictate content — to manage propaganda according to your agenda.  Might as well just go back to e-mail groups!

Two insecure fan bases!  Y'all putting a moderator between a rock and a hard place!  Some insecure, wannabe Power-5 fans of another team, trying to strong-arm a SLU recruit into flipping to their school — I honestly don't think Martin is trying to flip him, though he'll swoop in like a vulture if the deluded fans he and his school enables actually manage to cyber-bully Carte'Are into re-opening his recruitment — come in here yesterday with their kindergarten smack talk yesterday then run back to Tigerboard to call Bills fans insufferable.  As if SLU fans were supposed to say, "Yessuh, Mizzou master, suh!  We's sorry we withheld a four-star recruit from you.  You deserve him; take him, he's yours.  Just please allow us to remain in your shadow and have just a smidgen of your glory!"  Unbelievable!

Go on, you weak-kneed wannabes!  Crawl back to your stone-age, unreadable message board and tell all your snotty-nosed fellow Tiger fans just how "insufferable" SLU fans are so you can all have a good cry together.

But then the SLU fans here have been traumatized.  So much so, that they're threatening to quit.  I can understand not taking the battle to their own turf — because their board is so poorly designed that its not worth the time — but don't budge an inch here.  Keeping them from joining and posting doesn't send the proper message.  It just makes SLU fans look every bit as insecure as they are!  I understand you don't wade through Mizzou-loving posts; that's what the ignore feature is for.  But trying to keep them out or turning your back on the forum because of their presence — which will be short-lived — only lets them feel like they've won.

Mizzou fans have a major ego that they don't even come close to deserving, trying to pull eminent domain with a Billikens recruit, but it's almost as bad how SLU fans have such an inferiority complex.  Look, SLU has hired a coach who knows how to navigate these waters; trust him.  And if the Mizzou fans are tweaking Carte'Are — and I think he's tweaking them back, frankly — why not take the battle to them there?  He tweeted something like, "All props to the Man above," so a Mizzou fan tweeted a reply with a picture of a tiger, "Waiting for some good news."  The proper response would be for a SLU fan to reply, "The good news (Gospel) is that Jesus saves! #Jesuits #SLU #Man4Others #GoBillikens."  Carte'Are's description on Twitter says, "In God's Name I Play."  Well, what better place than at a (formerly) religion-based school?  Certainly not among the heathen at Mizzou!  When the Gentile Mizzou fans start rising up, the faithful SLU fans should have a response.  Anything they can do, SLU fans can do.  And SLU fans can probably be more subtle and avoid the gray areas the way Mizzou fans can't help themselves but tread in.

All's fair in war and basketball recruiting.  (Sorry for the length; had to get this off my chest.)

Honestly, we all should have seen this crap coming a mile away (questioning Gordon's commitment and Mizzou trolls coming out of the woodwork).  Any non-SLU fan I talked to after Gordon first committed basically said, "yeah, that's nice, but he's not really going to SLU."  This was Mizzou fans, KU fans, UNC fans, etc. even after the kid announced he was committed to SLU none of them believed he would actually go there.  Why would that change several months later?  If anything we should have expected it to intensify as we approached the signing deadline.  I'm not going to believe any of the crap from people who look down upon SLU as the "little school that could" (this includes recruiting analysts, Mizzou trolls, and "area basketball fans" / street agents who claim to support both schools) until something actually comes from Gordon himself.  Watson going to Mizzou shouldn't really matter that much because Gordon chose SLU before Watson committed anywhere.  If Gordon planned on following Watson, then why didn't he wait until Watson committed somewhere and announce as a package.  In the meantime, I'm going to go back and read this CBS article (https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/meet-carteare-gordon-the-highest-rated-prospect-to-pick-an-a-10-school-in-years/) and continue hoping.  

9 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Try the ignore feature.  It seems to me that you don't want someone to moderate, but you want someone to dictate content — to manage propaganda according to your agenda.  Might as well just go back to e-mail groups!

Two insecure fan bases!  Y'all putting a moderator between a rock and a hard place!  Some insecure, wannabe Power-5 fans of another team, trying to strong-arm a SLU recruit into flipping to their school — I honestly don't think Martin is trying to flip him, though he'll swoop in like a vulture if the deluded fans he and his school enables actually manage to cyber-bully Carte'Are into re-opening his recruitment — come in here yesterday with their kindergarten smack talk yesterday then run back to Tigerboard to call Bills fans insufferable.  As if SLU fans were supposed to say, "Yessuh, Mizzou master, suh!  We's sorry we withheld a four-star recruit from you.  You deserve him; take him, he's yours.  Just please allow us to remain in your shadow and have just a smidgen of your glory!"  Unbelievable!

Go on, you weak-kneed wannabes!  Crawl back to your stone-age, unreadable message board and tell all your snotty-nosed fellow Tiger fans just how "insufferable" SLU fans are so you can all have a good cry together.

But then the SLU fans here have been traumatized.  So much so, that they're threatening to quit.  I can understand not taking the battle to their own turf — because their board is so poorly designed that its not worth the time — but don't budge an inch here.  Keeping them from joining and posting doesn't send the proper message.  It just makes SLU fans look every bit as insecure as they are!  I understand you don't wade through Mizzou-loving posts; that's what the ignore feature is for.  But trying to keep them out or turning your back on the forum because of their presence — which will be short-lived — only lets them feel like they've won.

Mizzou fans have a major ego that they don't even come close to deserving, trying to pull eminent domain with a Billikens recruit, but it's almost as bad how SLU fans have such an inferiority complex.  Look, SLU has hired a coach who knows how to navigate these waters; trust him.  And if the Mizzou fans are tweaking Carte'Are — and I think he's tweaking them back, frankly — why not take the battle to them there?  He tweeted something like, "All props to the Man above," so a Mizzou fan tweeted a reply with a picture of a tiger, "Waiting for some good news."  The proper response would be for a SLU fan to reply, "The good news (Gospel) is that Jesus saves! #Jesuits #SLU #Man4Others #GoBillikens."  Carte'Are's description on Twitter says, "In God's Name I Play."  Well, what better place than at a (formerly) religion-based school?  Certainly not among the heathen at Mizzou!  When the Gentile Mizzou fans start rising up, the faithful SLU fans should have a response.  Anything they can do, SLU fans can do.  And SLU fans can probably be more subtle and avoid the gray areas the way Mizzou fans can help themselves but tread in.

All's fair in war and basketball recruiting.  (Sorry for the length; had to get this off my chest.)

Another solid post! +1

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I'm not advocating for not letting them join. But if all they are doing is inciting bull**** and ruining threads then something has to be done. 

This is not light trolling. Light trolling is making fun of losing to norfolk st. Or little sisters of the poor. This is our best recruit since Larry Hughes and the future of our program. So with all due respect Thicks, which I'm not sure is much, GO FUOK YOURSELF. I'm done with this board, I know multiple other large quantity posters that are done. Good job Mr. Moderator.

The future of the program is more than any one recruit.  Do I want Gordon on the team?  Hell yeah, he would be a hell of a player for us.  He would be an absolute monster in the A10.  That said, one guy alone doesn't build a program.  Big men recruits are rarely the guy that a great college team is built around or the guy that is the culture changer in a program.

Just now, brianstl said:

The future of the program is more than any one recruit.  Do I want Gordon on the team?  Hell yeah, he would be a hell of a player for us.  He would be an absolute monster in the A10.  That said, one guy alone doesn't build a program.  Big men recruits are rarely the guy that a great college team is built around or the guy that is the culture changer in a program.

You're right but the idea that the best recruit in a given Missouri high school recruiting class could choose to come to SLU is a program builder.  

Just now, brianstl said:

Yea I agree.  If anything I have a ton of hope for Goodwin to be a program changer.  By everything I have heard, he is a kid that just wants to win and will make his team believe it too.  

Reminds me of when Tilmon just committed to Illinois and they still were going after Goodwin.  On the Jay and Tay show or whatever it's called in Champaign they called Tilmon a perception changer for the program, a top ranked kid going to the school so you can get top ranked kids.  Goodwin they said is a program changer in that he will change the entire culture of the program.  

SLU is still in good shape either way but I am really hoping Gordon sticks with his commitment.  

Its impossible to remove them all, but I went through the last 100 or so posts and moved those focused on trolling to its own thread.  If you want to bitch and moan about trolling, go there.  If you want to legitimately talk about recruiting, do it here.

1 minute ago, SluSignGuy said:

Its impossible to remove them all, but I went through the last 100 or so posts and moved those focused on trolling to its own thread.  If you want to bitch and moan about trolling, go there.  If you want to legitimately talk about recruiting, do it here.

That title, though!  Ugh.

22 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Yea I agree.  If anything I have a ton of hope for Goodwin to be a program changer.  By everything I have heard, he is a kid that just wants to win and will make his team believe it too.  

Reminds me of when Tilmon just committed to Illinois and they still were going after Goodwin.  On the Jay and Tay show or whatever it's called in Champaign they called Tilmon a perception changer for the program, a top ranked kid going to the school so you can get top ranked kids.  Goodwin they said is a program changer in that he will change the entire culture of the program.  

SLU is still in good shape either way but I am really hoping Gordon sticks with his commitment.  

This is where I differ from you. I don't know if we're in good shape recruiting-wise if Gordon flips. That leaves us with a one-man recruiting class less than two months before the early signing period starts. Nothing against Thatch, but that would be a lot of work to make up for this class, let alone future classes. We've lost a lot of momentum and losing the highest-rated recruit since Larry Hughes would be a major blow, no question.