Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

1 hour ago, hsmith19 said:

Goodwin won't be competing with Gordon for minutes, so I don't know why you think their relative rankings matter.

Ford is actually going to set his starting lineup by listing each player in numerical order of their high school ranking and start the top 5. That's how this works now. Sorry you didn't get the memo. Were you on that email? 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, MattyMo213 said:

It's really odd that yesterday everyone was freaking out about the possibility of Gordon decommitting and today we're "sure he'll go to SLU" and arguing if he'll start or not. Meanwhile, one more person has predicted him as switching from us to Mizzou and another also predicted Watson to Mizzou. I'm not saying this means anything, I'm just hoping for anyone with any real evidence for Gordon choosing Mizzou or for sure staying with us to speak up.

On a high note, Thatch is up to a 79 on ESPN. He might've been this high before I just never saw it so he looks like his stock is rising

I think the possibilities of him are decommitting are pretty good, but I'm pretty sure we ran through all the scenarios yesterday. It's seems likely something is up. Gordon isn't talking. Not much you can do about it. Might as well move on to something else. 

20 hours ago, brianstl said:

It just seems to me that some people are trying create a narrative with Gordon that their is no actual proof to back up.  You create uncertainty with Gordon then you put questions in the minds of players that SLU and Mizzou are directly competing for.  I would guess Gordon is solid, but I expect people to keep trying to add to this narrative.

if Gordon and his girlfriend break up, then worry.

This kind of technique of creating false narratives is quite prevalent nowadays, don't you agree? The only way to deal with them is to simply ignore them. Let's analyze the current one about Gordon a bit. Sure our team will be better with Gordon in it, but are we really going to be that much worse if he decided to jump ship? Whatever happens we will have a strong team next year, perhaps not as strong as it would be with Gordon in it, but pretty strong never the less. 

From the point of view of Gordon, and I know that kids don't think this way, the mere association with characters like Martin will leave a residue of dirt on him, on the way he thinks, and on the way he acts that that will be hard to clean up later on.

One of the good things you learn in the service is that there are two basic kinds of people: good people and not good people. You associate yourself with the good ones, the ones that are solid, and leave the squirrely, opportunistic, self serving, or plainly bad ones aside. Tilmon may not realize this at this time but he made a bad mistake choosing Martin as a coach. What Martin does may not be illegal but surely it is a load of dirt, which (I do not know or want to know the guy so I cannot say for sure) most likely reflects the way he really is in every aspect of his life, and gets spread liberally over everything he touches. I hope Gordon stays with SLU and Ford, it will be better for him in the long run.

7 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Ford is actually going to set his starting lineup by listing each player in numerical order of their high school ranking and start the top 5. That's how this works now. Sorry you didn't get the memo. Were you on that email? 

Sorry please remind me how this message board is used to having top 150 recruits every year, let along 4+ on a roster in a span of a year. 

And Thatch has been 79 for a bit 

You get points on 247 for being the first person and for being one earlier people to predict a guy committing to a school.  If you got zero points the first time around there is no downside to predicting the kid flipping to a different school when a rumor pops up of him thinking about flipping.

11 minutes ago, MattyMo213 said:

It's really odd that yesterday everyone was freaking out about the possibility of Gordon decommitting and today we're "sure he'll go to SLU" and arguing if he'll start or not. Meanwhile, one more person has predicted him as switching from us to Mizzou and another also predicted Watson to Mizzou. I'm not saying this means anything, I'm just hoping for anyone with any real evidence for Gordon choosing Mizzou or for sure staying with us to speak up.

On a high note, Thatch is up to a 79 on ESPN. He might've been this high before I just never saw it so he looks like his stock is rising

Thatch has a grade of 79 on ESPN. That is not the same as saying he is the 79th best player.

By the way, your post yesterday was picked up by Tigerboard. They tease because they care:  http://tigerboard.com/boards/view.php?message=15016747

3 minutes ago, Old guy said:

This kind of technique of creating false narratives is quite prevalent nowadays, don't you agree? The only way to deal with them is to simply ignore them. Let's analyze the current one about Gordon a bit. Sure our team will be better with Gordon in it, but are we really going to be that much worse if he decided to jump ship? Whatever happens we will have a strong team next year, perhaps not as strong as it would be with Gordon in it, but pretty strong never the less. 

From the point of view of Gordon, and I know that kids don't think this way, the mere association with characters like Martin will leave a residue of dirt on him, on the way he thinks, and on the way he acts that that will be hard to clean up later on.

One of the good things you learn in the service is that there are two basic kinds of people: good people and not good people. You associate yourself with the good ones, the ones that are solid, and leave the squirrely, opportunistic, self serving, or plainly bad ones aside. Tilmon may not realize this at this time but he made a bad mistake choosing Martin as a coach. What Martin does may not be illegal but surely it is a load of dirt, which (I do not know or want to know the guy so I cannot say for sure) most likely reflects the way he really is in every aspect of his life, and gets spread liberally over everything he touches. I hope Gordon stays with SLU and Ford, it will be better for him in the long run.

Didn't you post this yesterday?

2 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Thatch has a grade of 79 on ESPN. That is not the same as saying he is the 79th best player.

By the way, your post yesterday was picked up by Tigerboard. They tease because they care:  http://tigerboard.com/boards/view.php?message=15016747

I know that doesn't mean he's anywhere close to the 79th best. And let those Mizzou pricks say whatever they want, in a few years when Cuonzo still won't be winning (as shows from his incredible recruiting at Cal to sub-par results) and they won't be sitting on their high horses.

Clock_Tower likes this

With Gordon, others mentioned that Snelling is a Webster guy and he covers Mizzou recruiting.  Since he said yesterday if Gordon is thinking about switching, then he has told nobody, I find it hard to believe a guy who covers Duke and a guy who covers Minnesota recruiting have better sources.  Seem like they are just guessing because why not, it makes sense that a guy who is known for recruiting like Martin can switch a kid from SLU to Mizzou.  Sure there are a lot of people that cover recruiting that won't believe Gordon will go to SLU until he signs.

Maybe I dd, but I thought people in the board were giving in to the fictional narrative that is circulating about Gordon. Again I see no reason to despair about this until he de-commits from SLU. I am certain sleaze bag at Mizzou is trying his best, so be it, you either have to trust Gordon at his word or not. It is up to him to show he is worthy of our trust. 

6 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Didn't you post this yesterday?

3 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Maybe I dd, but I thought people in the board were giving in to the fictional narrative that is circulating about Gordon. Again I see no reason to despair about this until he de-commits from SLU. I am certain sleaze bag at Mizzou is trying his best, so be it, you either have to trust Gordon at his word or not. It is up to him to show he is worthy of our trust. 

Woah watch out what you refer to Martin as man. The Mizzou worms are lurking about here and they don't like when you disrespect their god

10 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Speaking of fictional narratives, I think the notion that Cuonzo Martin is sleazy has sprouting wings among some SLU fans as much as the notion that Travis Ford is getting players only because he's paying them has among some Mizzou fans.  I don't think either is true.

Folks, if CarteAre Gordon was at Mizzou Saturday, it was for a football game.  (In case you hadn't noticed, there's no team in town anymore.)  I've read on Tigerboard — when it stopped being broken yesterday — that Alize Johnson was visiting Mizzou Saturday, and there's a possibility that those who've "reported" that Gordon was on campus may have been confusing him for A. Johnson.

Martin said that, because he was just hired that he would check with a player's high-school coach to see if a commitment were solid; that doesn't mean he makes a practice of tampering with recruits who've committed to other schools, particularly once he's settled in.  Watson committed to Ohio State well after Martin had been at Mizzou, so his decision to decommit is likely genuinely related to family matters, not tampering by the Mizzou staff.

1 minute ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Speaking of fictional narratives, I think the notion that Cuonzo Martin is sleazy has sprouting wings among some SLU fans as much as the notion that Travis Ford is getting players only because he's paying them has among some Mizzou fans.  I don't think either is true.

Folks, if CarteAre Gordon was at Mizzou Saturday, it was for a football game.  (In case you hadn't noticed, there's no team in town anymore.)  I've read on Tigerboard — when it stopped being broken yesterday — that Alize Johnson was visiting Mizzou yesterday, and there's a possibility that those who've "reported" that Gordon was on campus may have been confusing him for A. Johnson.

Martin said that, because he was just hired that he would check with a player's high-school coach to see if a commitment were solid; that doesn't mean he makes a practice of tampering with recruits who've committed to other schools, particularly once he's settled in.  Watson committed to Ohio State well after Martin had been at Mizzou, so his decision to decommit is likely genuinely related to family matters, not tampering by the Mizzou staff.

Martin is a joke. Down with Martin. 

14 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Folks, if CarteAre Gordon was at Mizzou Saturday, it was for a football game.  (In case you hadn't noticed, there's no team in town anymore.)  I've read on Tigerboard — when it stopped being broken yesterday — that Alize Johnson was visiting Mizzou Saturday, and there's a possibility that those who've "reported" that Gordon was on campus may have been confusing him for A. Johnson.

Whoa whoa...you can't use logic in here ??

Just now, ACE said:

So funny to watch you continue to cheer lead for Martin... "coach."   Protecting his reputation is the only thing you care about on this board  :lol::lol::lol:

So true.  He is "all about the kids" but will only defend the 45 year old guy who is making millions a year and then will come up with crazy scenarios for how Goodwin will transfer and no local kids will want to come to SLU.  

Question.  There were three paragraphs in my post that Coach314 responded to.  One of those paragraphs — the longest one — dealt with Gordon and his alleged "visit" to Mizzou.  C314 could have been agreeing with that; why assume that he was defending Martin?  It's just about impossible to shake a "rep" around here, no matter how much time elapses.  No matter what the guy says, his motive must be sinister, right?

19 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

So true.  He is "all about the kids" but will only defend the 45 year old guy who is making millions a year and then will come up with crazy scenarios for how Goodwin will transfer and no local kids will want to come to SLU.  

"Coach" is one of the worst trolls this board has ever had. Doesn't even disguise it well. I take you back to his first post ever on this board, last summer... brianstil immediately suspects that it is vtime, because he has the identical agenda. Then his second ever post back in July of last year is particularly revealing "McKissic would consider SLU...IF THEY OFFERED!!  Gordon, Ramey,  Watson aren't coming to SLU.  But by all means...continue on with the assumptions and misinformation."

Like vtime, pushing second rate talent on SLU - McKissic, while completely dismissing that top talent like Gordon and Watson would even consider SLU.  "Coach" clearly is rooting hard for Gordon to not come here and it goes back over a year. And poor Job 1, after having some decent posts recently, is back to defending this fool. On the wrong side of history again - :blink::(

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

You get points on 247 for when you for being the first person and for being one earlier people to predict a guy committing to a school.  If you got zero points the first time around there is no downside to predicting the kid flipping to a different school when a rumor pops up of him thinking about flipping.

interesting Like said on this thread it's like those rating agencies in The Big Short 

Of course Martin is recruiting Gordon.  Fair game until signed in Mizzou / Martin land.  Many coaches respect a verbal commitment, some like Martin do not.

Mizzou fans / trolls are just cocky now and love starting $hit.  Don't fall for it.  

SLU 2018 class Gordon, Thatch, Watson.  Will be very sweet on several levels.