Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

10 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

So you'd rather give the scholarship and the roster spot to a worse player? Makes sense.

What do you mean? I would think with playing time a 23 year old AD, Bess and Foreman would play over 18year old Gordon and Watson. 

What I mean is I would be happy with just Gordon and Thatch, then get a huge 2019 roster. 

I could be wrong but Watson is not built like Goodwin and French who are going to dominate right away

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The alternatives would be to either "bank" the scholarship or use it on a less talented player. The idea of passing on a player this highly recruited because you think you're good enough already is crazy talk. Speaking of crazy talk, the idea that Gordon might not get to play his freshman year is pretty far out there as well. 

30 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'd be shocked if Watson came here. I've never seen any evidence that he wants to come here. Every local kid that comes here gives us some indication that playing for his local team is something that's important to him. Despite him holding a SLU offer for almost 3 years, we've never heard that from Watson.

That has been my sense from the get go. Seems like another case of Martin fiddling with a player committed to another school.

33 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

The alternatives would be to either "bank" the scholarship or use it on a less talented player. The idea of passing on a player this highly recruited because you think you're good enough already is crazy talk. Speaking of crazy talk, the idea that Gordon might not get to play his freshman year is pretty far out there as well. 

Not Gordon, Watson. 

Basically with what we have right now, I'm fine with and maybe get a high level transfer for 2018 and get a beast of a 2019 class

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'd be shocked if Watson came here. I've never seen any evidence that he wants to come here. Every local kid that comes here gives us some indication that playing for his local team is something that's important to him. Despite him holding a SLU offer for almost 3 years, we've never heard that from Watson.

Things change just ask Holtmann.

44 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

What do you mean? I would think with playing time a 23 year old AD, Bess and Foreman would play over 18year old Gordon and Watson. 

What I mean is I would be happy with just Gordon and Thatch, then get a huge 2019 roster. 

I could be wrong but Watson is not built like Goodwin and French who are going to dominate right away

You said Gordon and Watson. I guarantee you Gordon will get plenty of PT as a freshman.

4 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

You said Gordon and Watson. I guarantee you Gordon will get plenty of PT as a freshman.

I sincerely think that with what I have seen from Bess and Foreman and AD, that they have the experience and talent to play over Gordon. Gordon is no longer a top 10 player and is ranked below Goodwin right now. I would honestly take Goodwin and French over Gordon. Much more versatile threats. 

Gordon got hyped because he was a man among children in HS, and believe me I want him at SLU. Just realistically I think he won't be a starter next year at slu 

Goodwin won't be competing with Gordon for minutes, so I don't know why you think their relative rankings matter. Bess is a very different type of forward than Gordon, and even if Foreman sets the world on fire this season, you're going to need more than one big. You made fun of people who thought Goodwin might not start, but now you're saying Gordon might be buried as a freshman. Sort of surprising, but maybe it shouldn't be with your fixation on changes in high school rankings.

Goodwin is coming into a time much different than when Gordon is. Next year our 4 transfers, and JJ would have 3 years under Ford and would all have played together into a system that will be defined by conference start. This year has a lot of questions in regards to PT since they haven't really had a game together. 

When Gordon comes, he will have to shake the status quo being set by mid season this year in order to play significant minutes. He will play freshmen year just not as much as guys like goodwin and French will this year. It's all about timing 

38 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Sounds like Vtime and coach think kids are "asking for it" by putting on that AAU jersey. You know what other kind of person says that someone is "asking for it" by the clothes they wear. 

Are we sure they are different people :ph34r: 

12 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Goodwin is coming into a time much different than when Gordon is. Next year our 4 transfers, and JJ would have 3 years under Ford and would all have played together into a system that will be defined by conference start. This year has a lot of questions in regards to PT since they haven't really had a game together. 

When Gordon comes, he will have to shake the status quo being set by mid season this year in order to play significant minutes. He will play freshmen year just not as much as guys like goodwin and French will this year. It's all about timing 

Have you, as they say, seen any of these kids play? Gordon is ELECTRIC

9 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Even if Gordon doesn't start (unlikely), he would play significant minutes as a Freshman. He's really really good. 

My last thing about mizzou.

Gordon will have to compete against two kids, both only a grade higher and were both higher recruits. that I dont see leaving right away.

Part of the reason I havent gotten too worried. 

19 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

I sincerely think that with what I have seen from Bess and Foreman and AD, that they have the experience and talent to play over Gordon. Gordon is no longer a top 10 player and is ranked below Goodwin right now. I would honestly take Goodwin and French over Gordon. Much more versatile threats. 

Gordon got hyped because he was a man among children in HS, and believe me I want him at SLU. Just realistically I think he won't be a starter next year at slu 

Your first assumption is that Bess, Foreman and AD will all be here next year.

I see you didn't list French, but you earlier said he is a one and done.  Hence I get you not including French as he won't be here.

Gordon and Goodwin are in two different classes.  So what if their rankings differ.  Rankings don't equate to the number of college wins your team will garner, so who cares?

And everyohne knows Ford hands out guaranteed starting spots.  Goodwin got one, so it leads one to believe that Gordon also has one in his pocket. 

And as Coach Majerus correctly said, starting is for high school. Minutes count, and end of game minutes count even more so.  Ask Grandy Glaze how much starting benefited his minutes his last year at SLU.

20 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Your first assumption is that Bess, Foreman and AD will all be here next year.

I see you didn't list French, but you earlier said he is a one and done.  Hence I get you not including French as he won't be here.

Gordon and Goodwin are in two different classes.  So what if their rankings differ.  Rankings don't equate to the number of college wins your team will garner, so who cares?

And everyohne knows Ford hands out guaranteed starting spots.  Goodwin got one, so it leads one to believe that Gordon also has one in his pocket. 

And as Coach Majerus correctly said, starting is for high school. Minutes count, and end of game minutes count even more so.  Ask Grandy Glaze how much starting benefited his minutes his last year at SLU.

I'm sorry I guess I forgot the part where we compare Travis Ford to Jim Crews and Rick M. 

You're right, since they all coached at SLU we should expect the same thing. Got it

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Are we sure they are different people :ph34r: 

Sure.  Remember when STLHI (formerly V-Time) had his brother post under his username?  Sometimes the posts were by the original; sometimes by the brother.  And then the brother had his own username (I forget what it was).  My suspicion is that the aforementioned brother is Coach 314.

8 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Sure.  Remember when STLHI (formerly V-Time) had his brother post under his username?  Sometimes the posts were by the original; sometimes by the brother.  And then the brother had his own username (I forget what it was).  My suspicion is that the aforementioned brother is Coach 314.

+1 That thought has crossed my mind. They clearly share a similar agenda.

It's really odd that yesterday everyone was freaking out about the possibility of Gordon decommitting and today we're "sure he'll go to SLU" and arguing if he'll start or not. Meanwhile, one more person has predicted him as switching from us to Mizzou and another also predicted Watson to Mizzou. I'm not saying this means anything, I'm just hoping for anyone with any real evidence for Gordon choosing Mizzou or for sure staying with us to speak up.

On a high note, Thatch is up to a 79 on ESPN. He might've been this high before I just never saw it so he looks like his stock is rising