Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, kwyjibo said:

A for-profit school that would rather be non-profit (not only for profit actually) because that is where the money is.

This is true. They actually floated the idea of changing to a non-profit college a few years ago but were ultimately rejected for failure to meet all criteria. I'm not sure how serious the attempt was, as the school does appear to be profitable.

For-profit schools have their uses - useful for certifications in many trade fields, for instance - but so many (most?) of them are just scams. GCU should not be allowed to be an NCAA member.

rgbilliken likes this

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

This is true. They actually floated the idea of changing to a non-profit college a few years ago but were ultimately rejected for failure to meet all criteria. I'm not sure how serious the attempt was, as the school does appear to be profitable.

For-profit schools have their uses - useful for certifications in many trade fields, for instance - but so many (most?) of them are just scams. GCU should not be allowed to be an NCAA member.

What about Lindenwood?

16 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

What about Lindenwood?

Lindenwood is a not-for-profit university.

Grand Canyon University is the only for-profit NCAA member in D-I, and I'm pretty sure it's the only for-profit school at any NCAA level. Here's an article with some background on the school and basketball program. The article is a couple years old but points out that this season is the first that the school is eligible for postseason competition.

I don't have a problem with them being a NCAA member.  What they are doing isn't as bad as what was pulled at other schools like Baylor, UNC and St. Bonaventure over the years.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

I don't have a problem with them being a NCAA member.  What they are doing isn't as bad as what was pulled at other schools like Baylor, UNC and St. Bonaventure over the years.

I'm not sure any of those things really compare - systemic covering up of sexual assault, sham academic program, shoddy admissions standards, respectively - to GCU. GCU is a for-profit college. Think of what that means in terms of the athletic program. As by far the best funded team in the WAC, which is horrible, they can easily start getting its automatic bid. They split the NCAA Tournament shares with the conference, and then what's left is for the school - and its stockholders. Every other program reinvests that in its program; GCU is beholden to shareholders with a profit motive. I don't know how many times they'll be able to do this (if they reinvest the money, they'll make shareholders antsy and if they pay out dividends the program is no better off) but it creates a weird situation in the meantime.

(For the record, I think Baylor's entire athletic program deserves the death penalty, UNC apparently couldn't be punished on a technicality and therefore the NCAA wasted its time while exposing a major flaw of the whole system, and St. Bonaventure received a fitting punishment at the time. While we're at it, Penn State football also deserved the death penalty.)

Slubills23 likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Lindenwood is a not-for-profit university.

Grand Canyon University is the only for-profit NCAA member in D-I, and I'm pretty sure it's the only for-profit school at any NCAA level. Here's an article with some background on the school and basketball program. The article is a couple years old but points out that this season is the first that the school is eligible for postseason competition.

I know that but I can assure that Lindenwood makes plenty of profit. They are non profit in technicality only.

I'm not sure any of those things really compare - systemic covering up of sexual assault, sham academic program, shoddy admissions standards, respectively - to GCU. GCU is a for-profit college. Think of what that means in terms of the athletic program. As by far the best funded team in the WAC, which is horrible, they can easily start getting its automatic bid. They split the NCAA Tournament shares with the conference, and then what's left is for the school - and its stockholders. Every other program reinvests that in its program; GCU is beholden to shareholders with a profit motive. I don't know how many times they'll be able to do this (if they reinvest the money, they'll make shareholders antsy and if they pay out dividends the program is no better off) but it creates a weird situation in the meantime.

(For the record, I think Baylor's entire athletic program deserves the death penalty, UNC apparently couldn't be punished on a technicality and therefore the NCAA wasted its time while exposing a major flaw of the whole system, and St. Bonaventure received a fitting punishment at the time. While we're at it, Penn State football also deserved the death penalty.)

No money goes back to any school from NCAA credits.  That money is plowed back into the athletic department.  If GCU doesn't reinvest in their basketball program.  They won't remain competitive with New Mexico St..

The big money for shareholders is in enrolling students.  A good well funded basketball program attracts students.

William Iken likes this

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account
@JonRothstein
2m2 minutes ago
More
Marquette's Hannif Cheatham is leaving the program, per release. Averaged 8.2 PPG.

Quick, what is the over/under on minutes before TGlory TDays posts that we should pick up this Marquette reject?

Why are you trying to start something? He wouldn’t even fit jnto this thread...

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-Pistol or anyone, are we still recruiting Tyson Walker from NYC? WGHS plays his team on Thursday

This is from Pistol's list, available here on Billikens.com

Tyson Walker - PG, 5-11, 150 - Queens, NY (Christ the King) - Twitter: @TysonWalker13

Offers: SLU, Iona, Towson, Binghamton.

Interest: Rutgers.

Latest News: Walker took an official visit to Rutgers the last weekend of September. (10/6/17)

Scouting Report: Walker is a flashy, shifty, fearless point guard who gets to the rim in a hurry despite his small stature. He can also bury it from outside. He's got a high basketball IQ. He's a teammate of 2019 SLU offeree Kofi Cockburn.

51 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This is from Pistol's list, available here on Billikens.com

Tyson Walker - PG, 5-11, 150 - Queens, NY (Christ the King) - Twitter: @TysonWalker13

Offers: SLU, Iona, Towson, Binghamton.

Interest: Rutgers.

Latest News: Walker took an official visit to Rutgers the last weekend of September. (10/6/17)

Scouting Report: Walker is a flashy, shifty, fearless point guard who gets to the rim in a hurry despite his small stature. He can also bury it from outside. He's got a high basketball IQ. He's a teammate of 2019 SLU offeree Kofi Cockburn.

-yeah, but how old is the info? are we still recruiting him?

9 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

SLU is showing interest in 2018 point guard Xavier Pinson of Chicago Simeon, a 3-star recruit...shopping for situation replacements?

https://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2018/01/14/henricksen-top-five-uncommitted-senior-prospects-illinois/

I'll do my best to figure out how fresh that interest from SLU is. Pinson is blowing up right now; SLU needs to have a handle on the current situation to have a chance with this kid.

The name listed before him, Drew Peterson, is a player who originally had interest from Crews' staff when he was a sophomore, and Ford's staff revisited later but never offered. He's going to be a steal for whoever lands him.

10 minutes ago, NH said:

We will have an open scholarship; people always transfer. The fewer we have the better. 

This is usually true, although we have so much other uncertainty on the roster, our situation is unique; perhaps if we wind up losing some guys, someone who would've transferred will now stay because of the greater opportunity.

Anyway, the most recent instance of SLU interest I can find is from 9/26/17, when we attended Simeon's open gym. We were still in the running for his Simeon teammate Talen Horton-Tucker at the time, so it's hard to even prove we had interest in Pinson and not just THT, and the writer may have seen our name attached to Simeon and misunderstood. SLU very well may have shown recent interest elsewhere - attending a game, visiting him, etc. - but I just can't confirm. Regardless, he's going on the Interest list and I'll monitor his recruitment.

Dayton and Georgetown just offered, representing a big jump in his recruitment. He committed to Kent State in October and decommitted a week later, saying he felt like he rushed his decision. He's had a solid senior season in the meantime, and he's actually new to Simeon this year after transferring. Dayton fans were quick to notice he's from the same HS as Kendall Pollard, who is currently playing for the Utah Jazz's G-League affiliate. Patrick Ewing and his staff have been recruiting Chicago hard.

Xavier Pinson - PG, 6-2, 170 - Chicago, IL (Simeon) - Twitter: @xpinson3

Offers: Dayton, George Mason, Georgetown, Kent State, Toledo, Buffalo, Milwaukee, Cleveland State, Indiana State, Evansville, Drake, Hofstra, IPFW, WIU, SIUE, Chicago State.

Interest: SLU, DePaul, BC, Northwestern, Texas, Oklahoma State, Mizzou, Wyoming, Valpo, UIC, Loyola-Chicago, Wofford.

Latest News: Pinson picked up offers from Georgetown and Dayton in January. He committed to Kent State in October but decommitted before signing day. (1/15/18)

Scouting Report: Pinson is an extremely smooth point guard with exceptional passing ability and overall feel for the game. He's got a wiry frame and a ton of speed, and is most natural in transition. He's got a consistent mid-range jumper and is streaky from the perimeter, although he does have range. He gets a lot of points in the lane, using his quickness, leaping ability, and excellent body control.

Had a chance to see a lot of Pinson the past couple of years when home, as it was my alma matter he transferred from to Simeon. He is quite impressive, with some of the best court vision you'll see. 3 point shot is a little shaky, as Pistol said, but could be a nice 4 year player here if the space is available. Per the Sun-Times today,  SLU has been looking at him as he has begun to get more known.