Recruiting - 2018 class

NextYearBill

9 hours ago, davidnark said:

The easy answer is Stanford. It goes head to head with the Ivy schools on the academics and network, the weather is nice year-round in Palo Alto, and the athletes are revered. No brainer. 

That's been my answer most of the time. I visited campus when I was in HS. It's the only school I applied to and didn't get into, despite my NH-like test scores. It's an amazing place.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, davidnark said:

The easy answer is Stanford. It goes head to head with the Ivy schools on the academics and network, the weather is nice year-round in Palo Alto, and the athletes are revered. No brainer. 

UVA and UNC could also be great choices. 

Baseball at Vanderbilt would be an absolute blast.

USC not a bad choice as well.

Just try this test NH write a letter requesting information and applications to have your child enter UVA or UNC as a freshman for the class of XX? Boast a bit about how good a student the kid really is and how much he/she wants to go there, then sit back and wait for a response. See how  long you wait. 

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

Just try this test NH write a letter requesting information and applications to have your child enter UVA or UNC as a freshman for the class of XX? Boast a bit about how good a student the kid really is and how much he/she wants to go there, then sit back and wait for a response. See how  long you wait. 

Hm?

2 hours ago, NH said:

Having spent a lot of time in the PNW over the last few years, was able to take in a Washington - USC tilt in Huskie Stadium last November - oh, and if you don't have smoked elk at a tailgate - you aren't doing it right :) UDubb is absolutely gorgeous - amazing facilities both academically and athletically. Overlooking Lake Washington and a breathtaking view of Rainier. 

2 hours ago, NH said:

University of Texas

Great academics

Athletes get the best facilities etc

Greatest town ever, like heaven with beer and Willie

Great programs winningest baseball team, top 7 all time football, good w/m basketball, National Championship swim and dive, great volleyball, track

Olympic sports on their own TV Network

If you're into hot women they got em'

You get connections for the future

11 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

University of Texas

Great academics

Great programs winningest baseball team, top 7 all time football, good w/m basketball, National Championship swim and dive, great volleyball, track

I thought Willie was from Luckenbach :) or is that Waylon?

44 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

University of Texas

Great academics

Pretty damn hard to argue with.

20 years ago when my son was looking at schools, we visited Wake, UNC and Duke.  I was on my way to a conference.  At UNC they said 90% of the freshman class was from NC, half of the other 10% were children of alums who lived out of state, the rest were scholarship athletes, etc and students with 800 on their SATs.  They said the best way to go to UNC is to transfer in after the freshman year.

Dont know if this is true or not, but that is what we were told.

mhg

21 minutes ago, Billikenbooster said:

20 years ago when my son was looking at schools, we visited Wake, UNC and Duke.  I was on my way to a conference.  At UNC they said 90% of the freshman class was from NC, half of the other 10% were children of alums who lived out of state, the rest were scholarship athletes, etc and students with 800 on their SATs.  They said the best way to go to UNC is to transfer in after the freshman year.

Dont know if this is true or not, but that is what we were told.

mhg

UNC was always considered the most difficult college to get into from my high school. Even more so than the ivies, Stanford, MIT, etc

11 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

According to a brief check of Twitter, Finke might have had his recruiting options limited after a bad summer.

Pretty much this. He's had one of the more bizarre recruitments in the class of 2018, certainly the strangest of everyone we've offered.

Finke might have made a huge mistake by going from the Beagles to Mean Streets.  Just back at the end of June his top 5 was Ohio St., Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Oregon and the Illini.  Not only is Grand Canyon a big step down basketball wise, it is a big step down school wise.

That said, Dan Majerle is building a nice program at Grand Canyon.

13 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Finke might have made a huge mistake by going from the Beagles to Mean Streets.  Just back at the end of June his top 5 was Ohio St., Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Oregon and the Illini.  Not only is Grand Canyon a big step down basketball wise, it is a big step down school wise.

That said, Dan Majerle is building a nice program at Grand Canyon.

Is Grandy Glaze the best player in their program’s history?

38 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Is Grandy Glaze the best player in their program’s history?

They had a couple guys who had short stints in the NBA.  One in the 70's and one in the 90's.

Glaze wasn't even the best basketball player on the team the year he played at Grand Canyon.